Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I'm sold on STA-BIL and Stihl HP Ultra !!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 PM
R/C Addiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I'm sold on STA-BIL and Stihl HP Ultra !!

So all my airplanes have been small gasoline engines, 26cc (RCGF), 20cc (RCGF), 20cc (DLE 20-RA) and a JBA 15cc. The one thing that I have always done is mix STA-BIL in with the fuel. Approximately three to four years ago I put my gasoline planes in storage because I sold my house and shortly thereafter our flying field was closed because the land was sold. I have run all my gasoline engines on a mix of 32:1 of fully synthetic Stihl HP Ultra and I add the STA-BIL to the gas can. I empty the tank after flying but I never run them dry. The planes were stored in a metal storage building (nose down) and later, in a wooden storage building (horizontal), neither of which were temperature controlled. So recently I have gotten to a point where I have some time to mess with my airplanes. The first engine I tried starting was the RCGF 20cc. I mixed some new fuel, cycled and charged the batteries (LiFePo4) and tried to hand start it. Had to break out the electric starter. After about 30 seconds on the starter she started up. Ran for about 30 minutes to clear everything out and runs as it did before placing in storage. The next engine I got going was the DLE 20-RA. I had installed a Bowman ring so the electric starter wasn't an option. After approximately two minutes of flipping with the choke enabled...she fired! A few more flips and the DLE was purring away. Let it run for 30 minutes also. To say I was impressed is an understatement! I may have just been lucky or the above is a good combination of juice for my engines. I haven't gotten around to the 26cc or the 15cc but I am expecting the same results. Will report back if the results are not the same.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:00 PM
pantaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's great! Do you know if the old gasoline had ethanol in it? I've had some really bad experiences lately with motorcycles that were stored without Sta-Bil for only about 6 months to a year or so, and the ethanol really messed up the carbs.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:18 AM
R/C Addiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sure there was ethanol in the fuel, as I just buy my gas at the pumps and don't bother trying to find the alcohol free stuff...
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 AM
egldriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by R/C Addiction View Post
So all my airplanes have been small gasoline engines, 26cc (RCGF), 20cc (RCGF), 20cc (DLE 20-RA) and a JBA 15cc. The one thing that I have always done is mix STA-BIL in with the fuel. Approximately three to four years ago I put my gasoline planes in storage because I sold my house and shortly thereafter our flying field was closed because the land was sold. I have run all my gasoline engines on a mix of 32:1 of fully synthetic Stihl HP Ultra and I add the STA-BIL to the gas can. I empty the tank after flying but I never run them dry. The planes were stored in a metal storage building (nose down) and later, in a wooden storage building (horizontal), neither of which were temperature controlled. So recently I have gotten to a point where I have some time to mess with my airplanes. The first engine I tried starting was the RCGF 20cc. I mixed some new fuel, cycled and charged the batteries (LiFePo4) and tried to hand start it. Had to break out the electric starter. After about 30 seconds on the starter she started up. Ran for about 30 minutes to clear everything out and runs as it did before placing in storage. The next engine I got going was the DLE 20-RA. I had installed a Bowman ring so the electric starter wasn't an option. After approximately two minutes of flipping with the choke enabled...she fired! A few more flips and the DLE was purring away. Let it run for 30 minutes also. To say I was impressed is an understatement! I may have just been lucky or the above is a good combination of juice for my engines. I haven't gotten around to the 26cc or the 15cc but I am expecting the same results. Will report back if the results are not the same.
Are starters not used on a bowman ring? I have a 20 RA w Bowman ring. Havent started it since VV installed it
Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 AM
R/C Addiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The resulting compression is much higher and the starter that I have won't turn over the engine...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by R/C Addiction View Post
It is quite possible that since your tanks were empty the use of an electric starter plus the freshly mixed fuel made all the difference here.

That said, I am a converted soul when it comes to using Sta Bil in ethanol blended fuel as I've had such fuel sitting for more than a year in my gas can and my engines run on it with no noticable difference to fresher fuel.

Last edited by karolh; 03-13-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 PM
R/C Addiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sooo....I had the day off and decided to see if the RCGF 26cc would also start up. It took a little bit longer for me to get that one running...about 15 minutes of flipping but I got that one running also. Had to open up the high speed and low speed needles a smidgeon but now is running great. It is idling in the back yard as I write the post. Now I just need to cycle the LiFe batteries once to make sure they are still good and I'll fly when the wind dies down and I get another day off. Had 60 MPH winds and hail the size of ice cubes yesterday!

Last edited by R/C Addiction; 03-20-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: didn't finish
Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Kell490

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Years ago I used be heavy into bass boats 250 HP V6 2 stroke outboards last day of the summer fishing season we always ran a tank of marina dock fuel which has no ethanol I added STA-BIL in it then get home drain the main and remote tank never had any problems STA-BIL good product.