Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Using starter bad for gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:44 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using starter bad for gas engine?

Can the engine gurus help me settle this debate whether using an electric starter on gas engines is really bad for them?
Is there evidence to support this claim, or is it a myth extended from the old days of nitro engines?
I've been doing it for years and have not seen any notable wear and tear.
The 10 lbs or whatever pressure you apply to spinner cannot compare to the stress on crankshaft and rod turning at 7-8k rpm.
i saw 2 friends struggling to hand start a new 120cc gasser and refused to use my Megatron starter 5 feet away. Mind boggling to me.

Last edited by kmtranmd; 04-22-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Using a starter on large engines might be difficult but I can’t think of any reason why it would be bad for the engines.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't think of anything damaging a starter could be to an engine other than scuff that 120.00 spinner . I would however Not use a starter on a C/F spinner , they don't buff out like aluminum does
Old 04-22-2018, 09:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

That myth was busted ages ago.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Using a starter won't damage a thing... other then a carbon-fiber spinner. Most every gas engine I've had though starts by hand very easily... if it doesn't that's a sign it might need some service.

I have people that offer me their starters all the time... and wonder why I don't take them up on that offer. Some are even somewhat offended I don't use their starter... but the answer is really quite simple... It's not my routine.

It would take me longer to fiddle with that starter then to just reach down and flip the engine a few times. Also you need a helper/holder to start a large scale plane with an electric starter... I prefer to tether my plane and just go about my biz. I don't want or need help unless it's a spotter on a busy day at the field... and even then I'm reluctant. I like my peace and solitude I get from that 15 minute flight where I don't have to think about a thing other then my plane.

So maybe your friends had a c/f spinner on that plane and you didn't notice, or a spinner-nut that might not be compatible with a starter, or there could be a few other reasons why they didn't use it... my best guess is they just wanted to find out how/what it took to hand crank the engine and get to know it... that makes the most sense to me, and is something I've definitely done in the past.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:58 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that new engines can be hard to hand start until needle settings are correct and fuel is drawn in.
my friend just refused to use starter and wore himself out trying to hand start it.
i agree using it on metal spinner wont do any harm at all.
myth busted.