Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How Small a Prop can be used for DLE35ra?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How Small a Prop can be used for DLE35ra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 PM
noobdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Small a Prop can be used for DLE35ra?

hi all i am thinking of putting a 16 size prop on DLE35ra to be used in a Senior Telemaster scratch built.
Can i put that small a prop on dle35ra? i am thinking of 16/6 or 16/8.
recommended props for del35ra are 18, 19 and 20 size. but i have issues with ground clearance. and i dont want to go with a 20cc as i am planning of putting this engine in a future plane after a while.
looking forward to your suggestions. thank
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A 20cc engine will need a 16x8 to keep rpm's in check. That's WAY too small for a 35. You need a 3 blade prop maybe? Or go WAY up in pitch, to something a war bird might use. Like a 16x10 or 16x12
Old 11-03-2018, 11:16 AM
noobdude

Originally Posted by ahicks
A 20cc engine will need a 16x8 to keep rpm's in check. That's WAY too small for a 35. You need a 3 blade prop maybe? Or go WAY up in pitch, to something a war bird might use. Like a 16x10 or 16x12
achicks as you know from my post on the other forum, i have changed my mind am not going for the dle35ra now for my current project of senior telemaster. but still i am curious as if a very small prop been fitted on 35, by small i mean literally out of league for this engine then will it damage the engine? as engine will not be loaded up if i put a lets say 15/8 prop on it and it will rev without much load, will this damage the crank shaft? i have heard about it from someone but could not find an answer.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO if you were to run any of these reed inducted gas engines past 9,000 rpm you will have failures pretty quickly.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
IMO if you were to run any of these reed inducted gas engines past 9,000 rpm you will have failures pretty quickly.
I agree completely with the above. These engines all have cantilever crankshafts (supported only in the front) with a single counterweight and are simply not intended for high RPM operation. Add to that the reeds may not be designed for high speed operation and may fracture or otherwise fail. If prop length is an issue, get a taller LG or run 3 or 4 blade props to properly load the engine. If you need / want high RPM operation, get a Zenoah or something similar with a crankshaft designed for that.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:33 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My question would be why the want/need for a smaller prop than what is reasonable .... I totally agree with the above posts . A small prop on the DLE 35 will only achieve premature failure from over reving the engine. Anything above 9000 rpms sustained will ensure a short engine life. A 16x10 three blade would be the absolute minimum prop I would use and even then you need very good throttle management.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 AM
ahicks

Originally Posted by noobdude
achicks as you know from my post on the other forum, i have changed my mind am not going for the dle35ra now for my current project of senior telemaster. but still i am curious as if a very small prop been fitted on 35, by small i mean literally out of league for this engine then will it damage the engine? as engine will not be loaded up if i put a lets say 15/8 prop on it and it will rev without much load, will this damage the crank shaft? i have heard about it from someone but could not find an answer.
The prop size is used to determine the load on the engine. Too big a prop/load and you drop the engine rpm's too low to develop it's max horsepower/torque potential. Some engines really like a small prop, turning up rpm's like a champ and sounding like a glow engine. They can even make a lot of power at those high rpm's. The issue is, they won't do that long. The bottom end will end up coming out the side of the case. At that point, about the only part you could use over again is the carb.....
Old 11-08-2018, 12:54 PM
noobdude

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Originally Posted by Truckracer
I agree completely with the above. These engines all have cantilever crankshafts (supported only in the front) with a single counterweight and are simply not intended for high RPM operation. Add to that the reeds may not be designed for high speed operation and may fracture or otherwise fail. If prop length is an issue, get a taller LG or run 3 or 4 blade props to properly load the engine. If you need / want high RPM operation, get a Zenoah or something similar with a crankshaft designed for that.
Originally Posted by CK1
My question would be why the want/need for a smaller prop than what is reasonable .... I totally agree with the above posts . A small prop on the DLE 35 will only achieve premature failure from over reving the engine. Anything above 9000 rpms sustained will ensure a short engine life. A 16x10 three blade would be the absolute minimum prop I would use and even then you need very good throttle management.
The prop size is used to determine the load on the engine. Too big a prop/load and you drop the engine rpm's too low to develop it's max horsepower/torque potential. Some engines really like a small prop, turning up rpm's like a champ and sounding like a glow engine. They can even make a lot of power at those high rpm's. The issue is, they won't do that long. The bottom end will end up coming out the side of the case. At that point, about the only part you could use over again is the carb.....
i understand what you guys are saying.
can you guys suggest any gas engine in 10cc range that can safely rev around 16000 rpm with a 11" 3 blader.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not possible.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I waited for someone else to say it first. +1 to what speedracer said.

Going back to your first post, is there a reason you don't want to extend the LG on the Telemaster for more prop clearance? Or are we talking about a different airframe now? On a plane like a Telemaster, a large diameter, low pitch prop would be normal for decent performance. A relatively small diameter, higher pitched prop would just scream while being a bad match for the airframe.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 AM
noobdude

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I waited for someone else to say it first. +1 to what speedracer said.

Going back to your first post, is there a reason you don't want to extend the LG on the Telemaster for more prop clearance? Or are we talking about a different airframe now? On a plane like a Telemaster, a large diameter, low pitch prop would be normal for decent performance. A relatively small diameter, higher pitched prop would just scream while being a bad match for the airframe.
I am sorry for causing the confusion, yes my first post was about telemaster and we have decided on a dle20 with 14" prop for that with a little extended landing gear.
but when i asked for 10cc engines, i was comparing them to 60 size nitro in my mind and just straight away asked which made confusion.
and yes i was asking for another airframe without clearly mentioning again my mistake.
basically i have two 2stroke ASP 61 engines laying around, one has some good flight time on it and the other one barely has one flight on it and both are in boxes since a year, they will need a service to clear out gumming, but both are in good condition.
ASP mentions 2000 to 18000 rpm range for these engines. i havent checked the rpms my self but from youtube videos there are tests where they can rev a 1106 prop at 12000 rpm.
i was thinking about putting them both in a twin engine plane and get the highest possible speed out of them without damaging them, and then i was thinking if i could get same performance from a gasser of small size as the airframe will be around 72" span so bigger engine is not an option.
i want to keep the sizes nearly as scale as possible as it will be a war bird and i dont want it to sit on way too tall lgs or have out of scale props as bigger engines demand.
i apologize for making confusions and too many questions, but as my nick says Noobdude
any info will be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 AM
ahicks

Well, here's one piece of info. Already mentioned is the fact 20cc engines most commonly use 16 and 17" props. If you're planning on a 14", it's going to need to be a pretty special prop....
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM
noobdude

Well, here's one piece of info. Already mentioned is the fact 20cc engines most commonly use 16 and 17" props. If you're planning on a 14", it's going to need to be a pretty special prop....
props listed for dle20 are 14x10, 15x8, 16x6, 16x8, 17x6, 18x6 according to tower hobbies tech data. we can accommodate a 16" prop as well.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM
pilotpete2

The benchmark prop for the 15cc gassers is 14-6. My Evolution 15cc is a bit stronger than a Saito .91, both running the same 14-6. I would think a 15cc would fly the Senior Telemaster nicely.
Pete
Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM
ahicks

Agree on the 15cc Telemaster.

Go ahead and try that 14x10 and get back with us on your impressions.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 AM
nmav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF I'm running a DLE 20 with a m18 X 6 no problems realy turns up.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by noobdude
props listed for dle20 are 14x10, 15x8, 16x6, 16x8, 17x6, 18x6 according to tower hobbies tech data. we can accommodate a 16" prop as well.
DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
jedijody

Here is where we have been gathering info on this engine since 2010. I have 2 and have been running them on 16x8's and 17x6's exclusively because of the great info in this thread started by jedijody.

In this long thread much has been written about over RPM and engine life. You say you want to put this in another plane someday. If you prop it so on the ground static RPM goes over 8400, the engine will not live long.

You know that we always take the manufactures prop data with a grain of salt.

Go ahead and throw out all the great advice given here. It is your choice.

The MA 15 x 8 three blade has been used with good results.

Last edited by kmeyers; 11-12-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 AM
noobdude

Originally Posted by kmeyers
DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
jedijody

Here is where we have been gathering info on this engine since 2010. I have 2 and have been running them on 16x8's and 17x6's exclusively because of the great info in this thread started by jedijody.

In this long thread much has been written about over RPM and engine life. You say you want to put this in another plane someday. If you prop it so on the ground static RPM goes over 8400, the engine will not live long.

You know that we always take the manufactures prop data with a grain of salt.

Go ahead and throw out all the great advice given here. It is your choice.

The MA 15 x 8 three blade has been used with good results.
there is some really good info in this thread i will definitely consider your advice, i am here to learn from you fellows
thanks for the link
Old 11-17-2018, 05:04 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You have been given some excellent advice and suggestions so hopefully you will act accordingly if only for the longevity and health of your engines.