Gypsy56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help me choose an engine

I'm trying to decide between a NGH 9cc and a RCGF 10cc engine. I have never owned either one and would like to hear your views.
Thanks for your help.

David
Old 12-31-2018, 11:45 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to run glow power?
Old 12-31-2018, 05:26 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not trying to confuse the issue, but of the current crop of 10cc gassers, I think that maybe you missed the better choice of the 3 available. The Evo (second generation, w/pump built into carb.) not only runs better, there is far better support for it when things aren't going so well.....
Old 12-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Gypsy56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would agree with you but the Evo is showing out of stock until June.
That probably means next fall. I thought maybe one of the two I mentioned might have a decent reputation.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would strongly encourage glow power in this size unless glow fuel is not available to you. I have yet to see any brand of gasoline engine below 20cc run well out of the box. Just yesterday I saw an airplane almost lost due to the Evolution ignition screwing with the RX. IMO the small plug caps just don't work well at containing the RF.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The main problem with the small plug caps is that people don't always install them correctly but they work OK otherwise. I agree they are a source of problems for whatever reason though mostly just misunderstanding about how they should be installed. Some of the small caps require a 1/8 turn to lock where some others just push on. Then there is the problem of where to stuff the ignition box in an othewise small airplane. Small, under 20cc engines are great for people that already have gas experience but going with small gassers can extend the learning curve time for those moving from glo to gas. I consider the smaller gas engines more of a novelty than a reliable power source. Great for people who like to tinker with engines. We have some excellent glo engines these days and other than the fuel / oil mess, for under 20 cc engines and as Speedracer suggested glo is probably best.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Gypsy56 View Post
I would agree with you but the Evo is showing out of stock until June.
That probably means next fall. I thought maybe one of the two I mentioned might have a decent reputation.

Thanks for the reply.
Any possibility of going 15 or 20cc?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Gypsy56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll check out some 15s, weight and physical size. Maybe I can find something that will work.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:46 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thinking the RCGF 15 is the lightest, and I know it's made a lot of friends....
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Gypsy56 View Post
I thought maybe one of the two I mentioned might have a decent reputation.

Thanks for the reply.
Neither do, unless you like to work on engines while at the field trying to get them to run. I wouldn't own either of them, nor as a gas instructor, I won't work on one at the field anymore. Waste of my time. The gas manufacturers just haven't been able to produce a reliable very small gas engine. Below the Zenoah 20cc, there really isn't a choice. I am also not familiar with the Evo. Not sure if it is by the same as glow Evolution engines, which has a lot of owner/operator restrictions on the needle valves. If you are going gas, go 20-26cc or larger. For the small planes, gas increases the wing loading by the additional battery and ignition unit, plus the engine itself weighs more than glow. Those planes are just too small for it.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:59 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Though I would always agree with the idea that the 20's are really a better place to start given the choice, it is not for this reason -
" For the small planes, gas increases the wing loading by the additional battery and ignition unit, plus the engine itself weighs more than glow. Those planes are just too small for it. "

For starters, there is no need for a second/extra battery. TONS of guys are flying on one battery, and have been for years, without issue.

Second, from a weight perspective, if you compare the 10cc baby Evo's all up weight to that of an OS 55 AX, you may be impressed. Don't forget to take into account the baby gasser will have no need to be dragging around a 16oz fuel load. They'll be fine with half of that.

All that said, the little gasser does get kind of compact on some installations, especially when fully cowled! This plane, if you'll check it out closely, is possible to build at the suggested weight of 5 lbs all up with just a little care (maybe not a beginner's project). This is a little hot rod with outstanding sport plane performance, JUST shy of full on 3D. Wing loading will NOT be an issue, that's for sure!
https://www.generalhobby.com/skyline...een-p-359.html
WING SPAN:57"(1450mm)
LENGTH: 53"(1350mm)
WING AREA: 646sq.in.(41.7sq.dm.)
FLYING WEIGHT:4.6-5.3lbs(2100-2400g)

Other planes with similar specs, if you keep the weight under 6lbs, will have outstanding performance as well. Like this one:
https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-a...n-extra-eg-arf

Yes, you do need to be careful with air frame selection, but that just makes it challenging. Many 45-60 trainer types work out really well too.

It's too bad about the back order scenario. Things are just starting to rock and roll in the 10cc world. This back order will set things back something terrible. -Al