Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

opinions about BME engines

Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
goatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions about BME engines

looking for opinions on BME engines,good or bad what problems if any. mostly 95cc and 110 cc.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: opinions about BME engines

Ok I'll take the bait, let's not turn this into a war though....

I have the BME 110. It is a fine running engine with more power (I FEEL) than any engine in the 100cc range and 2 lbs lighter to boot. (I haven't seen the mvvs 116 yet, but I "think" it is the heaviest engine in that class)

Some people say it is hard to get a hold of Keith, not really. I have called him twice lately and talked to him both times about some custom work. If you e-mail him his is quick to respond and it is just easier for me that way most of the time. Remember he is a one man show and everybody needs a day off now and then.

When it comes to service, he is as fast as any other engine manufacturer. He is not over night like I have heard about another manufacturer out there, but there is always one exception (you know who). I have had him do work twice for me, I just mailed the engines in with a note and they came back 7-9 days later with a note. That's it in a nut shell.

Ralph

One other thing, Keith has always treated me very fair. If you treat somebody right they will treat you right in return.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Floater-RCU

Hi GB,
I have the 50 no problems, no issues, just awesome power. My flying buddy has the 110, it's a work of art, you won't find a better motor in this size for power. Absolutely no issues with it either. Just remember to baffle it properly like any other twin. I can't say anything but good about Kieth, he treated me more than fair when I bought the motor and I enjoyed the one conversation I had with him. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Floater
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I have straightened a few bent cranks on crashed BME engines...The machined parts are perfect, and the base Echo engine is as good as there is anywhere....You can buy with confidence, there is no better engine
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

I have run a BME-50 this season on a rather heavy Staudacher. It pulled well early in the season when new and kept getting stronger as the run in was completed. It literally jerks the plane into the air. Looking foreward to putting it into a CA Extra that's on the board. A used BME-44 ran for 11 flights and wouldn't start. After tracing the problem to the carb I called and left a message on the machine at BME yesterday afternoon. I received a call and had an informative and plesant conversation with Keith today. I also have a 102 that will be going into a plane over the winter. When you build there is a need to keep the weight foreward since these engines are light. Adding weight to a plane doesn't make it fly better if it's dead weight. Mount rudder servos in the center as one ounce in the tail needs 4 oz in the nose to balance. Bigger flies better and lighter also adds to the equasion. I have witnessed a specially lightend Carden 35% plane with a BME under the control of Branwell McClory do some amazing things. With the availability of new ARF's being built very light fun will be just installing a light engine and having a ball.

Try one. I think you will be pleased.

EXCAP232
Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I had the BME 50 on an aeroworks 29% edge, was 16.5lbs or so and pulled it great. I also had the H9 Edge with a BME 110, and that motor ran great, no problems at all from either of them. They are very good engines. I cannot comment on customer service, as I never needed it.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

I've had a BME 110 for one season.I can tell you it starts and runs flawlessly.The other fliers at the field just shake their heads at how well it runs and performs and you know what they're running.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:08 PM
goatboy

Thanks for the replys, I am going to buy a BME. I had talked to a couple of locals, but felt they may be only trying to "sell" me an engine as they both work at hobbie shops. I might add that they both use them. I have heard more pro's than con's on this motor.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have much experience with the BME line, but what I have had has shown that the BME 110 blows the doors off of a 3W 100, and that the BME 44 pulls as well as most, if not all, 50cc engines out there. Topping that, they are lighter than any of them.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 PM
flyinrazrback

The 110 is stronger than the 3w 100, but not a 106, this from my experience with both, never seen a bme 44 run, but my 50 ran great.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM
RTK

razrback---Did you have the exhaust tuned similarly on both of them?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Crash90

Ditto. I have the 110 on a composite arf 2.6 Yak. It was my first gas engine. First class.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:56 PM
flyinrazrback

Thats both engines running their respectable stock exhaust sytems, the 106 better by about 200-300 rpms depending on the props. I am not knocking the 110 in any way, I was very impressed with the motor and would buy another one again if the right airplane came along. I did not run my 110 on cans at all, I know it picks up some power with them, but the 106 I have now belonged to my friend who was running cans on it, and was 7150-7200 with a mejzlik 28x10. My other 106 on tuned pipes was 7300 rpms with a mejzlik 28x10 (right out of the box), and 6600 with the mejzlik 29x10. My only negative comment about the bme 110 is its hard IMO to run a carbon prop and carbon spinner without having to do some mods due to the single bolt, but can be done if you do the extra work.

Back to the original question, I wouldnt hesitate to get one.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 PM
RTK

razrback---nothing intended,,,,just wondering about the exhaust set-up's when compared.

Crash---I have one on a comp-arf extra, mine had no balance problems, I assume yours did not either.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Crash90

RTK. Balanced right on the money. 2 1/4" stand offs. Flies like a dream.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 PM
flyinrazrback

No problem at all. On a big 35% plane like a carden, I prefer the 3w as it will balance the plane, on the smaller 33% planes I prefer the 110 for the reduced weight.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Tim_Indy

Goatboy, I'll echo the other favorable comments listed here. I like it so much I've got 2 of them!

Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 PM
flyinrazrback

Great motors like mentioned already, BME could kill the 50cc market if it unveiled their 55 anytime soon, especially with all these neew 50cc planes out there!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 PM
jrkarmy
My Feedback: (5)

I have the BME 110 in a comp arf 2.6 extra. Begun to run badly rough ect. I called CH ign and thet bluntly stated their igns dont fail and must be a motor problem. I sent it into BME they kept it for 4 months took multiple phone calls to get it looked at and sent back and they charged $50 and didn't find anything wrong. The Ign was failing and I finally sent it in to CH and got it fixed for another $50. The engine was just over one year old. As far as power it was the same as my DA 100 but much lighter. very difficult to keep the prop from slipping even sheared off the screwheads on the prop hub.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
armifabbri
My Feedback: (7)

I spoke to BME today. I have a 102 there being repaired due to crash damage. BME engines now come standard with a Falkon ignition instead of the former C&H brand. BME is also retrofitting these to existing engines.

The really good thing about this is that you'll be able to get the entire engine serviced at BME. No more shipping part of it here and part of it there depending on whether it's mechanical or electrical in nature.[8D]

Tony
Old 11-24-2005, 06:44 PM
bobknudsen
My Feedback: (4)

I have been dealing with Keith Baker for about 4 years and I have nothing but good things to say about BME's service. My first BME was the 102 which was in the first Hangar 9 Extra. When I crashed the plane I sent the motor in and he gave me the option of upgrading to a 105, which I did. I put the 105 in the Hangar 9 Sukhoi. It made a great combination at 24 lbs. I have never had a problem with the BME--I flew it until the wing exploded doing a snap roll. I fly with 5 different guys that all have DA motors and they all run great. We use to drag race alot, we would get 2 or 3 planes out their hovering and someone would yell go and we would all go to full throttle--the DA's would win. When I bought the 110 I put it in a Comp Arf 2.6 with canisters and it came out at 26 lbs. My buddy built a Comp Arf 2.6 at the same time using the DA with caniters and his plane came out at 28 lbs. After I had the 110 broken in, I took the plane up, put it into a hover, then excelerated straight up. All my friends saw it and after that no one wanted to drag race anymore. The BME would be the obvious winner. I love the 110, service has never been a problem. Twice I have had crash damage with an airshow or a contest the next weekend and I next dayed the motor to Keith and he fixed it and next dayed it back to me and I had the motor back in 3 days. My BME experience has been totally positive.

Big Bob
Old 11-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: jrkarmy

. As far as power it was the same as my DA 100 but much lighter. very difficult to keep the prop from slipping even sheared off the screwheads on the prop hub.
I heard you can get them now with either the DA or 3W prop hub..............That would solve the problem of the prop slipping. For that reason alone, I never liked the single bolt prop hub on these bigger gassers.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
RTK

I have the 110 and as far as prop slipping, it has not been a problem since I learned to tighten it a little more. (only slipped once, my fault) I have engines with both hubs and I prefer the single nut WAY over the multi bolt. You will never shear a 110's bolt.
I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

RTK,

Guess I never strong armed mine enough. LOL
Old 11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
RTK

Ya gotta show them who's boss sometimes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.