Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 105 and spinner compatability

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:13 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 105 and spinner compatability

Have a BME 105 that uses a single bolt prop attachment, it has heavy single direction grooves in in prop drive face and also two 6-32 allen head cap screws that form two short "prop drive pins" the screws are threaded into the drive face and help grip the prop, or the back plate if not using a spinner, along with the single direction drive groves, the screws do not go through the prop they just act as short pins, this is standard BME 105 setup as far as I can tell.

My problem is that the back plate for the spinner which has two matching holes for the 6-32 screw heads does not grip the prop drive face very well, it just sits on top of the single direction grooves, because of this the screw head holes in the back plate are tearing up. I need some kind of spinner that would grab the grooves much better than a smooth surface does which is what the spinner back plate has. Maybe there was a special spinner and back plate made for the BME?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all else fails, and you get no responses, you can try two pieces of 320 sandpaper glued back to back. Dan
Old 07-31-2016, 03:43 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

If you could post a picture maybe that could trigger the mind to come up with a solution.
This.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to Tru Turn and everything I think is going to be taken care of thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I know old thread here, but I thought if anyone's still following this, how was this situation rectified?. I used the sandpaper trick and haven't had a problem, my spinner back-plate is fine, I actually tack glued a round piece same size as the prop hub about 150 grit to backplate where it contacts the hub, and used the pin-bolts, but I'm still leery of it I think.

If you recall, what did Tru-Turn tell you about how to fix it?

Thx
Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The 2 holes in the backplate can be counter sunk so that 2 counter sunk screws can replace the screws in the propwasher. This will allow the backplate to be fastened directly to the propwasher . Just be sure that the counter sunk screw heads are flush with or slightly below the surface of the backplate when tightened .
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Is that what Tru-Turn recommends? I think you're referring to "flat-head" screws that you counter sink into the backplate. I actually just got another spinner/backplate for one of my BME's, and they had the same old instructs in there, and the new backplate wasn't knurled... just like they did it 15yrs ago.

It would seem more viable to knurl the backplate... and I'm curious if Tru-Turn would do that upon request.. or of that was there "fix". My machine-screws(that serve as dowel pins) have never given me any trouble, but I was just curious what BME's answer to the situation was. I probably have no reason to be leary about it, but I've always wondered as I've seen modern engines evolve. These BME's are old school though. Still great engines. I'm a fan. Would love to get a hold of the 116.

I own 4 BME's. Two are 50's, and two 102's. The 50's don't even have a dowel pin set up(read machine screws on the hub), and they work fine also. My newest 102 has an upgraded hub with mulit bolts for the prop... so yeah, I have experience with the BME's, just curious what Tru-Turn said. I'll have to ask them next time I order something. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by DGrant; 03-08-2019 at 01:26 AM.