Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-30 engine question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE-30 engine question

I have a DLE-30 engine that I have installed on a Factor 30 cc plane. The engine has never been run, but it is 8 years old. My concern is starting for the first time, which I haven't tried yet. I thought I've heard before that the Walbro carburetor diaphragm may be get too dry to get fuel flowing. If this is so, what is the normal procedure? Do I need to squirt some fuel into the carb? Thanks for any help.

Lamar
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You can open the carb and squirt some fuel in there Or choke it and hit it with a decent starter.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Priming it a couple of times can work too.

I think it's easiest to do what you need to do to get the inside of the carb wet. Quite a few ways...
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 PM
lamarkeiko

I probably don't have anything to worry about. I have a feeling that once I choke it, it will fire like it should. If not I'll squirt some fuel in the carb.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 AM
ahicks

Not done so much any more, but to make the choke more effective, we would solder the hole in the choke plate closed to make it more effective. No downside with solder, and it does help, but if you get "creative" blocking the hole with something but solder, and that doesn't work out well, the engine WILL be eating that failed attempt with predictable results.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

I dunno, I've never had one where the choke plate was seating properly that needed the hole soldered over.

If you have a starter then it's a non issue. If you don't you might be flipping for a while if its really dry.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Every once in a while with a new engine or one that has been sitting for a while I will fill the tank through the fuel dot and cap off then hook my fuel pump up to the vent and give a few cranks on the pump to slightly pressurize the tank then give the engine a few flips.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 AM
ahicks

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
If you have a starter then it's a non issue. If you don't you might be flipping for a while if its really dry.
Couldn't agree more. Brand new is gonna be REAL dry!

I wouldn't go out and buy a soldering iron/gun specifically for doing that, but if you have the stuff within arms reach, and the engine is out in your hand (like it is when you're taking it out of the box) it only takes a second to solder that hole shut. The smaller the engine, the more it helps get that initial fuel draw going. Bigger engines (50+cc) have way more air being sucked in on every stroke due to their larger displacement, so I would agree there. Soldering those closed is a waste of time. -Al
Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I always think of it like this:
the pump works by crankcase pulses. One flip one pulse = lots of flips.

Squirt in some gas as a prime (I use the one thimble full idea), flip and get a two or three second run and you get a hundred hard fast flips that your shoulder does not have to deliver.

Brains over brawn.

Remember the fuel tubing is empty, the pump chamber is empty and the diaphragm chamber is empty. Too many flips for me.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yea, I did that one time, I was too tired to fly by the time I got it running
Old 03-12-2019, 03:07 PM
lamarkeiko

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Every once in a while with a new engine or one that has been sitting for a while I will fill the tank through the fuel dot and cap off then hook my fuel pump up to the vent and give a few cranks on the pump to slightly pressurize the tank then give the engine a few flips.
That sounds like a great idea. I will try that.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Had the same problem with a DLE 20. Flip and Flip and Flip and no fuel draw. I took the plate off the pump, soaked it in fuel for 10 minutes, put it back together and started getting fuel draw after 2 flips, started in 10. Sometimes it needs an internal prime that only soaking the carb, or pulling the diaphragm out can accomplish. Even priming with fuel didn't draw any, it was that dry.