Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default glow fuel tanks for gas

I am slowly getting into gas.

just wondering if I can use my extra glow tanks ( with gas hardware ) for gas??

I have a few and would like to use them.

thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 06:10 AM
kmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes (with gas hardware).
Old 03-25-2019, 06:26 AM
tedsander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Stick 40 View Post
I am slowly getting into gas.

just wondering if I can use my extra glow tanks ( with gas hardware ) for gas??

I have a few and would like to use them.

thanks
Again a yes. But that means gas proof tubing, and a gas proof stopper. The tank itself and any hard plastic bits will be fine. It's the softer rubber/silicone stuff that needs replacing.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For sure you need this https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD755 or the appropriate one for the tank you're using and gas safe fuel line like Tygon
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default got stuff

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply's, I do have the hard ware. But the plane I want to put a tank in won't take the "gas" tanks I have.

I was thinking the plastic tanks should work, just wanted a second opinion. Having a third and forth opinion is even better.

I am back to working on the Ultra stick lite, we are setting it up for towing. I have a DLE 20 in it and it just is not running right. I want replumb the fuel system before rebuilding the carb. That will be the next step , if the new fuel tank, gas plumbing does not work.

sticks
Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I might add to the above, I've used many Dubro and Sullivan tanks for gas and with great results but I don't care for many of the poly tanks supplied with the older ARF kits. They are made from a plastic that looks very similar to the Dubro tanks but they have been known to split.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default good post

HI,
I have all the newer tanks Dubro etc. anyway, but glad to have the info posted for anyone else reads this

thanks
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 AM
sbd-3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just remember NOT to use Sullivan FLEX tanks with gas....All of the other tanks are OK.....
Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, the flex tanks work, used one in my T-clips, and it held gas for a couple years until I dumb thumbed and crashed it nose first. It wasn't until I went to get another smaller tank that I discovered they say not for gas. Only thing I can tell you about that tank is that it is now green instead of clear.

Any how, what you want to do is put a fitting on each end of the brass tubes or a dob of solder and then wire the fuel lines above them. This accomplishes two things, seals the lines to prevent air ingestion, which is the major cause of poor running engines, and two, the fuel lines expand a bit when submerged in gas and will fall off eventually, then you will be wondering why the engine quits going vertical or at a half tank.

https://www.radicalrc.com/item/18-I....ne-Barb-105428

Use Tygon or Viton fuel lines, and when put away for storage, drain the tanks if you use E10. If pure gas though, you can leave the tank full. Been doing that for a long time and never had an issue since I also use Stabil. If you do empty the tank for winter or long term, then make sure you fill the tank and let it sit for at least 24 hours to soften the fuel lines because they get stiff when empty(which is why I leave the tank full and sealed) For winter storage I fill with fresh fuel, and cap the fill and vent, then in spring I drain the old fuel out, run the engine until it quits, and then run some fresh fuel through it, and burn at least a half tank or until the engine is smooth and responsive.

Don't do this if there is ANY Ethanol though or you may not have fuel lines or a working carb!!!

I know someone will chime in and blast me for it, but think about your car sitting for months with a half tank of gas. Same thing! All my gas equipment is treated the same way and never had an issue except for once when I didn't use pure gas. All the fuel lines in my chain saw vanished. Since switching to pure premium gas and using good synthetic oils, never had an issue in well over 15 years.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 PM
sbd-3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can say that i have been using Sullivan's "Pro Flex" Fuel tubing in my tanks and so far no issues with getting stiff or coming off the brass tubes in the tanks......
Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by sbd-3 View Post
I can say that i have been using Sullivan's "Pro Flex" Fuel tubing in my tanks and so far no issues with getting stiff or coming off the brass tubes in the tanks......
Pricey, but if it stays soft would be worth it. I'll inventory what I have and if I need more I will give this a try.