Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Morris Mini Motors Gas conversion kits

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Morris Mini Motors Gas conversion kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 PM
planenutzz

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Morris Mini Motors Gas conversion kits

I have an Super Tigre ST2500 glow engine that I am considering converting to petrol (gas) and looking at the Morris Mini Motors full conversion kit.Has anyone tried their kits? Keen to find out what is included as their website does not list the items, just shows photos that show walbro carb, cabrb manifold to engine, timing / pick up rings, spark plug and ignition module.

I have emailed them several times to find out what is included and what other bits I need such as the timing wheel, piston stopper etc but its like pulling teeth, crickets chirping. Considering the prices of around 250 GBP, $330 USD or $463 AUD plus shipping its a pricey bit of gear and want to have my ducks in a row before I part with my hard earned.

I have also read that glow engines need to have conrod bearings replaced from brass sleeve type to roller pin type. Not sure if this is correct or a just a fallacy??

Also wanting to know if I need to run the egine at normal oil ratios - ST is 10 - 12% oil for glow. As petrol engines run hotter apprarantley do I need to increase oil content? Say 15% ??

Hopefully somebody has some answers as getting them out of the supplier is proving very difficult.

thanks in advance

cheers
P
Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A pumped gas carb, ignition, pick up, magnet ring, 1/4 32 spark plug and manifold adapter. Is about all that is needed. 5% oil for two stroke air cooled engines (20 to 1). The con rod can not be upgraded. No room for a larger big end in the crank case. We are stuck with the bushing. BME used to market a converted ST.

Never bought anything from Morris, but, I would recommend the guy that bought C&H ignitions for his knowledge of conversions, parts, workmanship, and customer service (you won't hear crickets chirping).

Are you down under?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

$330 seems like an excessive amount to spend on a ST conversion. For me, the end result just wouldn't justify the expense. There are so many good, better performing gas engines available these days at reasonable prices. Unless a guy just wants to tinker with a conversion as part of the hobby, these days the expense and time are usually not justified.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

you could most likely buy a pre-owned ignition cheap, have a friend make you a Carb adapter on a lathe, and maybe buy the magnet ring from CH Ignitions

Jim
Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 PM
planenutzz

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
$330 seems like an excessive amount to spend on a ST conversion. For me, the end result just wouldn't justify the expense. There are so many good, better performing gas engines available these days at reasonable prices. Unless a guy just wants to tinker with a conversion as part of the hobby, these days the expense and time are usually not justified.
Current engine the ST2500 fits in the cowl as does the custom muffler, all within the narrow nose of a 82" P51 so if I can spec a few $$ converting the engine so its 100% reliable and everything stays pretty much the same except throttle linkage and fuel tank plumbing then that is preferable to trying to shoehorn in a different engine, find, get made a muffler and more than likely have to attack the cowl with my dremel!!

It's a no brainer.