Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Prop mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Fly4Funn
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop mounting

Just got a Moki 215 and bought a couple 32X18 props for it. One was a SEP and the other a Xoar. Both prop hubs are thicker than the prop shaft stub on the front of the engine so when I put the prop on, there is no shaft sticking out for the plate to slide onto. Is it a must to have this shaft sticking into the hole in the front prop plate or just mount with the prop bolts and move forward. If it does need to stick into the front plate, how are you guys handling this when there isn't enough shaft to reach through the prop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a Barrel nut type mounting setup whereby the nut has a sleeve that extends through the prop washer
Old 04-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Fly4Funn

Originally Posted by w8ye
Use a Barrel nut type mounting setup whereby the nut has a sleeve that extends through the prop washer
Thanks but that won't work in this setup. See the pictures which may clarify what I am describing

Old 04-07-2019, 07:37 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would not run an engine of that size without the prop washer engaged onto the spindle. I think the only choice you may have is to locate/adjust prop size so that you find a prop with a thinner hub. Can you go larger diameter and less pitch? Have you contacted Moki to see if a longer spindle nut is available?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 AM
Fly4Funn

I did contact Dr G at Vogelsang Aeroscale and they do make an extension but it is out of stock right now. According to him the extension isn't really needed unless the corsair style hub is used which I am not. He stated that it is perfectly fine to run the engine without the shaft coming completely through the prop and into the prop washer. That is what I plan to do. I do plan to purchase the extension once they come back in stock just to have in hand.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to assume that you will be using a spinner and that the shaft is threaded to attach it. I would use a spacer the shaft dia. drilled for the spinner bolt with clearance and use it while mounting the prop washer to center it while torquing the bolts.