Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Saito oil mix

Hi,
I have always been a Saito guy, Saito is about the only 4 stroke glow engine I have.

This being said, I jumped on a Saito FG-14B and just picked up a Saito FG-17 . I am about ready to start breaking in the FG-17 and will use the 20:1 for gas and oil.

But the book says to keep using the 20:1 ratio, even after break in. I have been running my glow Saito's on 2 cycle glow fuel that I use on all my glow engines. I have two Saito 50 that are 35 years old and still running great.
I don't see how I would have to keep the 20:1 after a good break in? I use a high quality oil made for our gas engines and could or would go synthetic if that is the best way.
I will if that is the case, just wondering.

Thanks
Sticks
Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

keep using the 20:1 or you will loose the connecting rod
Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ok

Originally Posted by w8ye View Post
keep using the 20:1 or you will loose the connecting rod
That was what I was wondering. Not a problem, just hoping to save a little on oil. I have always like Saito and have taken care of the glow ones.

I will keep up on the 20:1.

Thanks

sticks
Old 04-10-2019, 06:02 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go 16:1 when breaking in, then up it to 20:1 on the next gallon. These are essentially glow engines with a gas car and ignition, and glow uses a lot more oil than a 2 stroke gas ever will. I broke my FG-11 in on 16:1 full synthetic, and Saito wants only Synthetic to be used. Been using Lucas full syn, and switched to Amsoil full syn.

I have a pair of FG-30 that I cam getting ready to break in as well, and reading the manual they recommend between 15-20:1 oil full syn. Better to have more oil than less since the only way the tappets, rockers and valves get lubed is through the fuel.

When I first ran the FG-11 I had it at 20:1 and and after 10 minutes at gurgling rich to be 4000 @ WOT, there was no oil coming out of the vent so that concerned me that not enough oil was getting to the parts so I increased it to 16:1 and started to get some oil showing, then I was happy that the bottom and top were getting sufficient oil . It took 2 tanks to break in, and that was nearly 2 hours of run time on 24 ounces of fuel.

Here it is during break in, note the nice black spot underneath. That was the most oil ever out of that engine, once it was tuned for flight there were just a few specs of oil on the plane.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FG 17 saito

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Go 16:1 when breaking in, then up it to 20:1 on the next gallon. These are essentially glow engines with a gas car and ignition, and glow uses a lot more oil than a 2 stroke gas ever will. I broke my FG-11 in on 16:1 full synthetic, and Saito wants only Synthetic to be used. Been using Lucas full syn, and switched to Amsoil full syn.

I have a pair of FG-30 that I cam getting ready to break in as well, and reading the manual they recommend between 15-20:1 oil full syn. Better to have more oil than less since the only way the tappets, rockers and valves get lubed is through the fuel.

When I first ran the FG-11 I had it at 20:1 and and after 10 minutes at gurgling rich to be 4000 @ WOT, there was no oil coming out of the vent so that concerned me that not enough oil was getting to the parts so I increased it to 16:1 and started to get some oil showing, then I was happy that the bottom and top were getting sufficient oil . It took 2 tanks to break in, and that was nearly 2 hours of run time on 24 ounces of fuel.

Here it is during break in, note the nice black spot underneath. That was the most oil ever out of that engine, once it was tuned for flight there were just a few specs of oil on the plane.

I just finished the 30 min. break in on my Saito FG17 and it went great. I was a little heaver on the oil. I mixed a 1/2 gal. and had a small amount of oil left in the bottle and put it in, could have been about 18:1.I am using the Stihl HP Ultra oil.
I agree on the ethanol issue. I use 90 Octane boat gas for my gas engines. For the others I add Star Tron, for the ethanol issue, works great.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM
crobara

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been flying my 14c for about 12 flights after break in at 20:1 and can only on occasion get the engine to run up to 8k. I'm thinking of changing my mix to a little less oil, assuming that 20:1 is the problem. Are there other things to check that can cause an engine to not achieve the higher rpm?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't recommend reducing the amount of oil unless you want the engine to die a horrible death. Try changing oil brands to a different full synthetic like Amsoil, or Lucas. Use ethanol free premium if you can get it. You might also want to pull the plate off and check to see if the carb is clean.

You need to remember these engines are Glow engines converted to run on gas, and glow engines use a lot of oil to stay lubricated. They are not like 2 strokes where the fuel/oil enters through the crankcase to keep it lubed, but instead get the crankcase and cam lube via the intake valve and blow by. The Saitos require 18% minimum oil glow fuel when run as a glow engine.

Oh, should also mention, it takes hours and hours of flight before they break in, I have at least 8 hours flying time on my FG-11 and it is still not fully broken in.