Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

question on FG-30 break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default question on FG-30 break in

Reading the book, the break in is similar to the FG-11, but only in RPM. On the FG-11 the carb has an externally adjusted HSN just like the glow has, so easy to set to run WOT to 4K. Now on the FG-30 thats where it is different as it has a Walbro carb, with inset LSN/HSN and not adjustable like a glow. It does not mention messing with the HSN or run WOT, just 4K.

So do I just run it at 4K using the throttle and nothing else? IOW don't mess with the needles until after break in to fine tune it?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You are pretty much correct. With a gasoline engine you would have to be extremely rich to have a drop in full throttle rpm past 1,000 rpm. If the instructions state to do the first runs with a max of 4,000 rpm then you will need to do it with throttle and not mixture. The factory setting should be on the rich side as is however I always check them. Regardless of size I have always found that by setting them to low 1.5 turns and high at 2.25 turns I always get a good start up the first attempt. You will find that with a Walbro carb, filtering is more important then on a glow engine. The orifices in the Walbro are much smaller. The inexpensive lawn equipment filters work best. They have a paper element filter and not just a screen filter like the hobby ( glow ) filters do.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, filters are key. I have 5 gas engines plus this new one, discovered I ran out of filters and have some on order. My pump has two, one in the bottle, one inline, and my tank has a sintered plus an inline. The only oddball gas carb I have is the FG-11 as it uses a needle the same as a glow, and almost looks like a glow carb, but has a pump on it. It took me a bit to find the HSN on the FG-30 carb, its a tiny thing inside the case so will need to set them up on the run up stand as there is no way I would be able to reach in once installed on the B-25 as it will be inside the firewall at that point.