Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Carb too Firewall distance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:21 PM
gary3173
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Carb too Firewall distance

What is the rule of thumb for mounting a rear facing carb on a gas engine what distance from firewall for air flow and proper performance?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

If there is enough room for the choke plate to open, you have sufficient clearance for the engine to breathe. I have several models that pass this test and they have been running fine for years. I'm sure that more distance is better, but so far I've had no issues. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I like to have at least an inch. No scientific data behind that though. Nothing wrong with cutting a hole in the firewall.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I like to have at least an inch. No scientific data behind that though. Nothing wrong with cutting a hole in the firewall.
+1, I like an inch also but have had a few engines that had a bit less. I some cases where space was tight, I bored a large hole in the center of the firewall and capped the back side with a piece of thin ply. This creates a sort of bowl in the firewall for additional breathing space. A hole through the firewall into the engine box is completely acceptable and is common.