Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 engines WON'T START

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

You were definitely getting too much fuel into the engine, now that you have reduced the fuel flow the plug is not getting drowned out, try closing the fuel needle to one turn open and crank the engine for a few seconds, if no start open the needle in one eight turn increments and crank it again the idea is to slowly find the proper fuel flow without flooding it as before.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:38 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

My advice to go back to basics and quit using the starter. Start them as follows: Set both screws to 2 turns out. Full throttle, full choke, ignition on. Make sure your prop is set so you are coming up on compression about 11 o'clock. You want it to feel comfortable to flip the prop through compression. Flip it till it pops. Then choke off, ignition on, high idle, flip it through. It should start after 2-3 flips.
I have a feeling your starter might be slowing the engine down when it pops and that is keeping it from starting. Choking it with a starter is also flooding it IMHO. There are many tuning tips once it's running. I'm going to add one here that is pretty good.

David
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Octopus RC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We met similar issues before , i mean after we have carb rebuilt and cleaned up.
But issue still there . Did you screwed out the carb needle ? And check out it`s tip ?
I recommend to check it , if the tip was dull ,then engine will very easy to be flooding .
Always have too much fuel goes through the needle .
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM
khouk

GREAT NEWS! I started the first of two engines last night after using info from everyone on this forum. Resetting the timing, carb re-build, fuel needle screws, and not using the starter. I used the starter to make sure the fuel was pumped to the carb and then I flipped it by hand. All I need to do is set the high end and the low end. daveopam thanks for the tuning tip. Here is a pic of the plane from a couple of months ago without cowlings and a couple of parts. THANKS EVERYONE for your help.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:52 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Great News!!

David
Old 02-09-2023, 03:56 PM
hdeubler

I had the same issue so I cut the front of an RC Starter motor and attached it to a battery powered drill machine. This got the fuel flowing and eventually started the engine. After the engine was broken in (20 min) it started fine by hand. I try not to run the engine dry (unlike what you are supposed todo with a nitro) except if I don't fly the plan for several month.