Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah G45 will not run w/ nose high - lean mixture?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G45 will not run w/ nose high - lean mixture?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G45 will not run w/ nose high - lean mixture?

I have a G45 that will not run if I point the nose of my hangar 9 Cap 232 up. I talked to hangar 9 tech support today and they did not know of any issue and suspected the fuel tank. They also confirmed that the carb has an integrated fuel pump and the engine should not be affected by attitude. I am stumped by why if point the nose of my plane up at almost any thottle setting it dies (don't ask me about my dead stick landing - if you want to call it that - this week end).

I drilled out the fuel pick ups and clunk to 1/8" and that helped but it still goes too lean if I point the nose up.I have no tank pressure and an easy carb kit on it. Also I removed the carb and put form a gasket on the carb gaskets to confirm there were noe vocuum leaks. I guess tomorrow I will start drilling holes to shorten about 12" of fuel line to maybe 8" but my nitro burners with muffler pressure run better than this through areobatics. The engine runs great through the entire range and transistions (as long as the plane is level)

I tried playing with the wind on the hole of the diaphram pump with the exact same results.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas because I am stumpped. Also High spped needle has little efffect on the engine.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-20-2003, 11:10 PM
tkg

Default RE: Zenoah G45 will not run w/ nose high - lean mixture?

You should be able to adjust the HS needle so rich that the engine is badly 4cycling and smoking like a bug killer. If you can' t then there is a restriction in the fule line/clunk or trash in the carb. There is also the chance that you have a bad carb, does'nt happen very often but does happen.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:37 PM
yl5295

I took the carb apart today and sprayed carb cleaner through it. It all apparently came through the high speed jet. I can turn the high speed needle to the point it is about to fall out and the engine is still lean. Sounds like a bad carb to me.

Can the jet's be removed in these engines so I can check for blockage? This is a brand new engine. 7 turns out and it's still lean....

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM
tkg

I think I'd try H-9 for a warranty carb, if they reluctant to warranty the carb , send the engine back for them to make right.
P.S totaly off the wall thought, it the pump line from the carb manifold to the crankcase hooked
up and clear? Does the pump hole in the manifold match the pump port in the back side of the carb? There have been some weird glitches with some of the brown intake manifolds.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:45 AM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

I second the vote for a pulse hole inspection...sounds like the carb is not pumping.

I went through the same thing on a combo I bought used. It took me two weeks to figure out that the carb was turned wrong on the spacer. It ran too well for me to think the carb wasn't pumping until the nose was straight up or down.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Also if the engine is not new and has been around for some time it may need a carburetor kit. Sometimes the diaphram will get stiff and not pump good.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
yl5295

bored out clunks, shortened lines, disassembled carb, etc. full R&R.

- however-

I think I found the problem. The place where I bought the engine from (new) put the carb on it for me with the "easy link" adapter. They mounted the carb upside down so that no vacuum/pressure was getting to the fuel pump. Basically the hole to the crankcase was on the other side so it was running completely on vacuum.

It will take me a few days to confirm because now I have to reinstall all of the throttle linkage via a new routing. But the pump obviuosly could not work without vacuum or pressure... I got the old linkage removed tonight but installing the new one will take another night.

Bill

Bill
Old 10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
yl5295

Problem solved - the carb being upside down was the problem - runs great now!