Tartan Twin info

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 AM
marvmattporsche
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tartan Twin info

ORIGINAL: rcacro

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Tartan Twin, I have one with the Ousley Modifications and reed unit for sale at a low price. Also have the Miller reduction starter. If interested PM me.

John

Did you ever have any success with your Ousley modified Tartan? I had him modify one of my Tartans, but could never get it to run, ended up selling it.

One of my club members had one years ago that ran like a scolded dog...man did it sound nice.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
rcacro

Yes, mine ran very well. The only problem I had was the tendency for one cylinder to quite firing on idle. Idle mixture was set to rich.Leaning the low end finallysolved it.
Burned a lot of fuel when running wide open but as they say if you want to make power you must burn fuel!

John

ORIGINAL: marvmattporsche

Did you ever have any success with your Ousley modified Tartan? I had him modify one of my Tartans, but could never get it to run, ended up selling it.

One of my club members had one years ago that ran like a scolded dog...man did it sound nice.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

""if you want to make power you must burn fuel""

rcacro ,, do you have Prop and RPM numbers ????

Jim
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have been running my Tartan Twin on the bench and found that the Delorto carb seems fairly touchy about fuel line head. Raise the tank just a hair and it runs rich, drop it and it leans. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Have heard the Walbro carbs are a much better choice.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Would expect that's the reason we don't see many Delorto carbs in use. The Walbro carb is wonderful invention for our use.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Wow this thread is 11 years old!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Wow this thread is 11 years old!
Tartans are timeless, but finding information on this nice piece of hardware is getting tougher and tougher.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Vollmer
I have five of them on spark ignition. What do you want to know?

I actually made a four cylinder engine out of two of them - sounds like an Offenhauser.
Hi Ed, Iremember the days of the Tarten twin. We called them Tarten of the month,they were a beautiful built engine.Think I still have a couple of them around here some place.We have had great fall weather. Storms have been coming on week days and nice on week ends.Supposed to be nice this week end.I have ben flying the tar out of the Valley View 20 CC and 49 CC twin .Great little engines I am over turning them to see If we can run a rod out of them. So far run better all the time.Will see how they do with time on them but they seem great so far.Getting late. Broke my right leg about 6 weeks ago.FunFun.
Still going flying when ever I can.
Grumpy no two. BCCHI
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 AM
thailazer

Getting this Tartan Twin running has been a struggle but now it is turning into a love affair. It is indeed a beautiful engine. The original Delorto carb diaghrams were all shot and a local small engine shop sold me a Walbro clone that they guaranteed. I can see why as it really works well. I first ran the engine with the ignition timing fixed as the new carb did not have a place to attach the mechanical ignition advance linkage to. With the fixed timing, the engine shook like crazy at idle. Yesterday I modified the carb to be able to have ignition advance and with the timing going from retarded past TDC (idle) to advanced (full throttle), it has smoothed out a lot. Very very smooth at mid to high RPM.

Another thing I have had to learn is to leave the carb wet. I was running it dry after each run and it seems to take a lot of time to prime after that and start working right. Leaving gas in it, I can start in about 3-4 flips. Is this common practice with gassers to leave the carb full of fuel?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9064024090_7384258aeb_z.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1946406   Click image for larger version

Name:	9061795095_ecd3651a75_z.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1946407  
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM
captinjohn

I leave gas in my engine carbs, but I use Puregas that is sold as a recreational fuel. Go too puregas.com. too find a place too buy it. I have found no better fuel. Great fuel to use & is a good storage fuel. http://pure-gas.org/ Capt,n
Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Tony Hallo

[QUOTE=thailazer;11681496] The original Delorto carb diaghrams were all shot and a local small engine shop sold me a Walbro clone that they guaranteed. I can see why as it really works well. I first ran the engine with the ignition timing fixed as the new carb did not have a place to attach the mechanical ignition advance linkage to. ]
What carb number are you using? Maybe others can benefit?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 AM
thailazer

[QUOTE=Tony Hallo;11682292]
Originally Posted by thailazer
The original Delorto carb diaghrams were all shot and a local small engine shop sold me a Walbro clone that they guaranteed. I can see why as it really works well. I first ran the engine with the ignition timing fixed as the new carb did not have a place to attach the mechanical ignition advance linkage to. ]
What carb number are you using? Maybe others can benefit?
Well, it is a carb made here in Thailand and it looks exactly like a Walbro. It cost me about 25 dollars US. They use these carbs in the weed wackers that are used by the thousands here to cut back the jungle and to cut crops. They have to be reliable as the hill tribe farmers have to be able to use them. As long as I leave fuel in the carb, I can get the Tartan to start on the 3rd or 4th flip every time after cold choking 5 rotations. Hot, it starts right away. Maybe I should look into exporting the things as they are quite high quality and performance from my experience so far.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Good grief the world is a small place. That's a CH conversion from Wyoming USA.
The mechanical timing can be adjust to perfection with a little thought. It was called TCSA, Throttle Coupled Spark Advance
Anyway idle timing should be in the 3-5 degrees BDTC range and WOT it should be in the 28-30 deg BDTC range. You can adjust the static timing by making the pushrod longer or shorter. OR by loosening the front ring with the magnet and twisting it.
The TOTAL timing movement depends on the length of the arm on the carb. So by making the arm longer you increase the range of timing (example 2-32 d BDTC) shorter and decrease the range (5-28 d BTDC).
You can also adjust the timing to have a curve by changing the angle between the throttle butterfly and the pivot arm, There be less movement of timing as the arm and push rod become closer in alignment.
Good luck
TKG

Last edited by tkg; 12-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by tkg
Good grief the world is a small place. That's a CH conversion from Wyoming USA.
The mechanical timing can be adjust to perfection with a little thought. It was called TCSA, Throttle Coupled Spark Advance
Anyway idle timing should be in the 3-5 degrees BDTC range and WOT it should be in the 28-30 deg BDTC range. You can adjust the static timing by making the pushrod longer or shorter. OR by loosening the front ring with the magnet and twisting it.
The TOTAL timing movement depends on the length of the arm on the carb. So by making the arm longer you increase the range of timing (example 2-32 d BDTC) shorter and decrease the range (5-28 d BTDC).
You can also adjust the timing to have a curve by changing the angle between the throttle butterfly and the pivot arm, There be less movement of timing as the arm and push rod become closer in alignment.
Good luck
TKG
TKG, THANK YOU for those numbers! Wow, did not expect that kind of input with this post. I think I am pretty close to those numbers but will dial it in exactly in a few days. The linkage is in place and working after modifying the carb throttle arm idle stop plate.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt somebody want to donate a spare Tartan Twin to me for Christmas???
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
captinjohn

Look for big Glow engines at swap meets. They go for real low prices. Some meets are swamped with engines. Price of them lower all the time. Have fun browsing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM
KM4BS
My Feedback: (37)

I just took one on a plane trade that has never seen fuel. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth? Thanks, Dave
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM
thailazer

I've seen them go on Ebay from between 175 and 300 dollars. Ignition versions, unused have more value obviously.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM
KM4BS
My Feedback: (37)

Ok, Thanks. Going on shelf for decoration.LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM
captinjohn

I never owned a Tartan Twin, but I always liked the looks of them. Kinda wish I would have bought the one I seen at a swap meet!

Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by captinjohn
I never owned a Tartan Twin, but I always liked the looks of them. Kinda wish I would have bought the one I seen at a swap meet!

Best Regards, Capt,n
They do look good, and much better than the usual engines you see for sale these days. The modern engines put out more power but I doubt they have the durability of the Italian made Tartan.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Tony Hallo

That was back in the day when the G62 was King of the Hill. I seen one in a 33% Laser, flew it fine. Flying style was a lot different however.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 AM
thailazer

[QUOTE=thailazer;11682298]
Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
Well, it is a carb made here in Thailand and it looks exactly like a Walbro. It cost me about 25 dollars US. They use these carbs in the weed wackers that are used by the thousands here to cut back the jungle and to cut crops. They have to be reliable as the hill tribe farmers have to be able to use them. As long as I leave fuel in the carb, I can get the Tartan to start on the 3rd or 4th flip every time after cold choking 5 rotations. Hot, it starts right away. Maybe I should look into exporting the things as they are quite high quality and performance from my experience so far.
Looks like these are available on ebay for half the price I paid here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-C...18009178&rt=nc
Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 AM
thailazer

Boy there have been a lot of like new Tartan Twins on ebay lately. Anyone here buy one?
Old 11-02-2023, 01:39 PM
betoriddem

Does anyone happen to have an old Tartan contest lying around? I currently have one like new and would like to make a four cylinder one. Any help would be b greatly appreciated. Thx Mick, Bay city, Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.