Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tartan Twin info

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tartan Twin info

I am interested in any info from users of the Tartan Twin. I have spoken to Jim Cline, but would like to hear from anyone using this twin on a regular basis.

Phil
Old 05-05-2002, 02:09 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tartan Twin

Email Tom Perry, he may be able to tell you what you want to know. Hope that helps, John West Mich
Old 05-08-2002, 02:25 AM
captinjohn

Default Tartan Twin

Did you find out more data on the Tartan Twin? I missed a good deal on one at a swap meet. It was a super glow version, if I remember right. Nice looking engine. A little on heavy side for some hot rod planes. Take Care John- from w. Mich
Old 05-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Phil Heller

Default Tartan Twin info

Thanks for the interest, John. No, I don't suppose anyone is using one currently, or that's what it looks like. I picked up a pretty good one here on RCU with electronic ignition and an updated carb. It looks like it was hardly used. I haven't run it yet, been busy with my other planes and work but I was thinking of a clipped wing T'craft.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:17 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Default Tartan Twin info

Does TARTEN have a web site?

A friend just picked up a TARTEN that has been bench ran only, He will probably want to sell it, he has gone to all gas. It came with an AEROWORKS plane that he just purchased.

THANKS,

RON in NEVADA
Old 05-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Ed Vollmer
My Feedback: (14)

Default Tartan Twin info

I am interested in any info from users of the Tartan Twin.
I have five of them on spark ignition. What do you want to know?

I actually made a four cylinder engine out of two of them - sounds like an Offenhauser.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:16 AM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Default Tartan

Well...Out of the box ..these engines are good as a paper weight...BUT if Jim Cline or a gentleman in Florida..whose name leaves me at the moment...massage them a little ..you'll find they scream like a scalded dog,,,Run on methanol and klotz oil...

You may or may not know..but back before planes got the size of your garage..This was the engine of choice for the TOC..and Jim and (blank) were the guys to hotord them for you...

I have one in an Ohio EXTRA ..spins a 19x10 Menz Ultra about
8700-9000..They do not like to lug
Old 05-09-2002, 02:44 AM
Phil Heller

Default Tartan Twin info

hi Bill
- The gentleman in Florida whose name escapes you is Tom Perry - a Master at massaging these little brutes, and a real gentleman - to deal with!

John
-Sorry, I'm gonna keep it! BUT! DESERT RATT has a friend who sounds like he wants to sell. posted somewhere in this thread.

Phil
Old 05-09-2002, 09:23 AM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Default Tartan Twin info

Nope I think this guy is OUSLEY...I'll have to dig in my rolodex...So maybe there is another Tartan guy out there....Mainly ..As I understand it..the port timing is changed by massaging with a die grinder and the reed system is changed to help it breath...

Theres a couple of guys in NC near greensboro who swear by them in Carden Extra 300...It's the reason I got one...ACCELERATED STRAIGHT UP...not just pulled..look like it was shot out of a cannon and kept going
Old 05-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Phil Heller

Default Tartan Twin

Bill -
You are right! Bob Ousley is the guy! Ed Vollmer E mailed me and set the record straight. Tom Perry has worked over engines for me and my friends and is all that I said of him, an expert and a gentleman. However, he has not worked on my Tartan. What size Carden? Sounds interesting......

Ed -
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the offer , but I think I will see how I like this one first.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Ed Vollmer
My Feedback: (14)

Default Tartan Twin info

Theres a couple of guys in NC near greensboro who swear by them in Carden Extra 300...
Another great plane for this engine is the Midwest Cap 232. The engine fits beautifully within the cowl including the plug caps on a CH ignition. I believe mine was about 15# dry.

Jim Goad (who owned Indy RC and used to sell Tartans) is also knowledgeable on the engine. Last I heard he also transplanted to Florida.

Incidentally, Jim Cline's website for Tartans and Tartan parts is here:
http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/
Old 03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
kevin_turner

Default Tartan Twin info

I love my tartan twin engine its a glow twin if you need to know anything about them go to billsroom.com mine was hard to start before becauase the carb was upside down but just take a tap and drill a hole just above the carb on the 1/4 inch plate put a presure fitting in it and a peace of fuel line to prime the engine above the reeds and it will start everytime or it will bite you (BEST ENGINE ive ever had.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:32 AM
Phil Heller

Default Priming nipple

Hi Kevin -

Can you post a picture or sketch on where you installed that priming nipple? My Tartan was converted to gas with ignition and a Large Walbro carb with a big Venturi velocity stack that I reversed to the underside so it would not stick out the top of the cowl.

Phil
Old 03-14-2003, 03:12 PM
jagaither

Default Tartan twin contacts

Originally posted by BillJ
Nope I think this guy is OUSLEY...I'll have to dig in my rolodex...So maybe there is another Tartan guy out there....Mainly ..As I understand it..the port timing is changed by massaging with a die grinder and the reed system is changed to help it breath...

Theres a couple of guys in NC near greensboro who swear by them in Carden Extra 300...It's the reason I got one...ACCELERATED STRAIGHT UP...not just pulled..look like it was shot out of a cannon and kept going

These guys in NC are friends of mine. One has sold all his Tartan stuff but the other still has all his plus some spares. He has two really nice 30% Carden Extras that are very light & this engine is tuned by Owsley in Florida. On tuned pipes and they really scream - very powerful & best power to weight you can get. These guys are excellent flyers and finished 1-2 in every contest they entered. If you are looking for Tartan advice, I can put you in touch with them.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
mike007985
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Tartan twin contacts

Can anyone give me any information on how or where I can get any manuals on the Tartan Twin 77? Does anyone still work on these engines? Bill Cline from Cline and Associates no longer does any work on Tartan engines. I have 3 of them and I've never run them yet because I'm not sure on the fuel to use or how to set the carbs. They are all glow engines. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
overkill-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

I would love a copy of the Tartan Twin 77 manual as well. Also, any contact info for the Guru in Florida!

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
captinjohn

A link to another size Tartan Twin http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441533
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I have seen "a" 22cc SuperTartan Manual, and there is not much to it,,

the Manual I had said 5% Oil for Gasoline and 10% Oil for Methane,, I know the Glow Engine was designed to use straight Castor, but Jim Cline said Synthetic is OK, it will take a long Brake-In on Synthetic,,

one thing about them is they don't have the best Reed Valve system, guys are adapting the DL 50 Reed Valve Assemble to them (as I will be doing over the winter), the one guy I talked to that did this conversion said his Engine started better and ran smoother and had better Throttle Response with the DL Reeds,,, the DL 50 Reed Valve Assemble is only about $18 at Towers Hobby,

there are 2 different Cylinder Portings ,,
A) the "Super" has 3 Transfer Ports..
B) the Standard has 2 Transfer Ports
how you tell them apart,, is,, if the Fins on the Top of the Head are 1/2 inch higher than the Glow Plug then it's a Super, if the Glow Plug and Fins are the same height it's a Standard,,

RPM/HP,, the Manuals and Flyers I have read said for Both Gasoline and Methane peak power is 8000, and I did see one Manual that said "Prop for 8300 RPMs" but I don't know how old that Manual was,,

Bisson makes Mufflers for them,,
http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...mageField.y=10

BTW, if you want to buy a (never run) Super Tartan 22cc with a large Muffler let me know..

Jim
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
C. Ledbetter

I may have a owner's manual for the Tartan twin, but I will have to wait unti next week to look for it as I am on vacation right now. I have two of the engines, one is the standard (never ran) and the other is the Super Tartan that was modified by Bob Ousley several years ago. I purchased the first engine used at a hobby shop. I could never get it started and Jim Goad at Indy RC gave me the contact info for Mr. Ousley. I learned from talking to him that the cylinders had been turned over inorder for the carb to be on the bottom for easier in cowl mounting. The engine would not run like that. I turned the cylinders over and it started on the second flip. In talking to Mr. Ousley he told me of the advantage of his modifications so I sent him the engine. When I got it back, boy what a difference. I had the engine on a Lanier 33% Lazer, and it flew it with authority. The only draw back was the fuel consumption on alcohol. Thirty two ounces would only fly about ten minutes. I put a 50 ounce tank in it and would get about 18 minutes. The engine required baffles in the cowl for cooling and was a pain to change the glow plugs. After Mr. Ousley modified the engine it would not hand start anymore and he told me that up front. To start it I used a Miller reduction drive on a Sullivan Dynatro starter on 24 volts which is probably overkill. When I return home I will look for the manual and contact info for Mr. Ousley.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
the Wasp

hey I found some info,, and you can see some photos of my Engines,,

BTW, in my Twin I plan to burn a Mix of 2 parts Gasoline and 1 part Methane with 3% Nitro,,

as for the Carb on Top, I got room in my Cowl , see my plane,,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27669.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	1508529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85962.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1508530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14109.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1508531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45653.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1508532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96842.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1508533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92956.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1508534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg76129.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1508535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78376.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1508536  

Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
the Wasp

NOTE,,
as you can see in the Flyer's Photos above, the Glow plug is actually longer than the Fins on the Top of the Head, that is the "Standard" Engine, yet you can see on my Engine the Fins are longer than the Plug, this is the Super model..

Jim
Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
overkill-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Great info guys! From looking at the pictures, mine is a super Tartan as well. Yeah Me! Thanks for the great pictures and info Jim.

C. Ledbetter, that would be great if you happen to have a manual. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
rcacro

Default RE: Tartan Twin info

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Tartan Twin, I have one with the Ousley Modifications and reed unit for sale at a low price. Also have the Miller reduction starter. If interested PM me.

John
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
the Wasp

sooooo just what are these Modifications ???

LOL
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
rcacro

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

sooooo just what are these Modifications ???

LOL
Porting, new "V" shaped reed unit and larger Walbro carb modified to use glow fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.