Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCD 140 gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Don Panek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCD 140 gas engine

I am interested in the RCD 140 gas engine and would appreciate any input from individuals who have owned one. I plan on putting it in 1.20 sized Hawker Hurricane if I purchase it. I look forward to all responses. Thank you, Don Panek
Old 11-03-2003, 06:33 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

Default RE: RCD 140 gas engine

Have you considered an MVVS 1.60? There are quite a few threads about them on here. I believe they are less expensive and have more power.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:17 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don, I'd like to hear more about them too. I stumbled across this thread recently:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_T..._502066/tm.htm

I guess some guys are having radio glitches with these engines.

Jim
Old 11-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

It is a very good engine. If you are looking for aerobatic stuff then the weight has to be kept down in the 12 lb. range.

Right now I have mine on a Hanger 9 super cub (100") 15-1/2 lbs, flies it fine. I had it on a H9 Edge and it was very good but not unlimited.

These engines do not cause radio glitches nor do other engines cause them. It is usually the fault of your installation or something loose, etc., etc..
Old 11-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

I've been flying a RCS 140 on my 25% Edge for over a year now. I think its a great little engine. Has a REAL weight(including ignition, muffler, switch harness, ignition battery, mount) of just under 3 lbs. The rpm figuers RCS posts are very realistic. I get 9000 rpm with a APC 16-8. Around 9500 with a 16-7. This engine likes to wind up and go, and I've had no issues with the high rpms causing any problems. I've had no mechanical issues with the engine at all, now around 10 gallons through it.

As far as glithes go, there is a week link at the plug wire's sheild connection to the ignition circuit board. You need a strain relief on the plug wire to the firewall, or vibration with break the ground connection at the circuit board. I found out just how good my JR fm ppm radio link is. If it would have been PCM, I could have lost the plane to failsafe.

Kevin
Old 11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
supertiger

Tipover, please tell me, no wait can you draw me a picture of what i need to do to fix this ground problem if it has already broken on my 140. I have done everysingle thing to my engine and airplane to try and fix my low RPM glitch and this is the first time ive ever herd of this broken ground thing on the boot and or circut board, ive always suspected the sparkplug boot is causign the problem and have done everthing i can to stop anything from vibrating by useing a strong clamp on the boot, but since my ground must already be broken its still glitching even with a clamp, i supose the worst case sinario is if its broken at the circuit board part.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37211.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	72467  
Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Take a look at the picture below. Look where the high voltage(plug wire) enters the ignition box. Its the two fine horse shoe loops of wire soldered around the HV shield that connect the shield to the circuit board ground. That is the ONLY point that the shield and black ground wire connects to the ignition unit. The wire loops in my photo are my heavy replacements, the originals were half that weight. Look real close, and wiggle the connection. Everything looked fine on mine, because the shield just hung there supporting the brooken loops of wire. Also take note of the cable clamp holding the plug wire to the bottom of engine box. That takes the load off the small wires soldered to the circuit board. I also soldered a second ground lead to my circuit board ground, and clamped it to my engine case. That acts as a backup ground in case the shield connection breaks again. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94403.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	72512  
Old 11-05-2003, 10:14 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

Don Panek
I own three of the RCS 1.40. I KNOW they are fine engines. I can fly any of my planes for a whole day on a $1.50 worth of gas. BREAK THE ENGINE IN PROPERLY thats a must. I have one in a H9 T-Craft, another in a PT-19 and the thrid in a80IN Extra 330 Profile plane . No flame outs Ilove it . PJAMESRC