Need Help - RCS 1.4 Gas Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - RCS 1.4 Gas Leak

Hello All,

I'm bench running my first gas engine, a RCS 1.4 with a 3 line fuel system. Except for a little trouble getting gas to the carburetor when I first start to run the engine, it seems to be running fairly well. The first time I ran it I noticed gas dripping off the bottom of the crankcase. The backplate bolts were on tight but the carb bolts were a little loose. So I tightend up the carb bolts and put it back on the stand and ran it again. The gas leak was still there but not as bad. Is this normal for a gas engine? Should I used some Locktite on the carb bolts or maybe some RTV silicone between the carburetor and enigine to seal the leak? I would really appreciate some help on how to handle this problem.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If you tighten the carb too tight the thin aluminum plate under it will bend and you will lose the crankcase pulse. No pulse, no pump...Make sure the plate is perfectly flat..If gas drips from the carb the inlet needle is leaking or one of the covers is loose...
Old 08-30-2003, 11:16 AM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

If everything is tight and it still leaks gas and it's a new engine contact RC Showcase. They will fix the problem. They stand behind what they sell.

Gerry Rosebery
Old 11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Bison

Default RE: Need Help - RCS 1.4 Gas Leak

Hello All,

Just to bring closure to this thread, I thought I'd write a few line on resolving the gas leak
for anyone who may have this particular problem in the future. I did just about everything
recommend: used Honda Bond to seal the gaskets, cleaned the carburetor etc. I finally
sent it back to RCS and they replaced the backplate. Apparently, the gas was leaking out
from the seal around the sensor line going into the engine. When I got the engine back
and ran it on the test stand, the gas leak was gone and the engine performed well.

RCS replaced the backplate on my RCS 140 without charge, even though my engine was
out of warranty (but being run for the first time) and the turn-around time for getting my
engine back was only a couple of weeks - thanks, RCS.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

SO was the gasket damaged or just dry rotted?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Bison

The gaskets looked OK. Although I suspected that the gas leak could be from the
carburetor, I think there never was a problem with the carburetor and the leak was
always from the backplate. Since, the engine was out of warranty I decide to try to seal
the gaskets with Honda Bond to see if the leak stopped before I sent it to RCS
to be fixed at my expense. However, RCS repaired the engine without cost anyhow.