Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

The new ZDZ 100 Twin

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 01:40 AM
zx10rracer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new ZDZ 100 Twin

I was wondering if anyone has one of the new 100cc ZDZ twin cylinder engines? If anyone has one, what are the things you enjoy or dislike about them? And, if anyone knows, how much does it weight with ignition, battery and mufflers?
Old 11-16-2003, 11:10 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The new ZDZ 100 Twin

Very smooth -lotsa power -quite light---read specs on the RCS site .
there a quite a few gallons thu mine now -and it just keeps getting stronger as it loosens up .
also it is Very reasonably priced ---
Really enjoy it-
Old 11-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

When it hauls around a Composite-ARF 40% Extra, let us know Dick
Old 11-16-2003, 11:50 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kris^

When it hauls around a Composite-ARF 40% Extra, let us know Dick
It's hauling around a Wild Hare Extra that is a little heavier than that 40% FC plane you are flying.

Brian Copfer was in 3rd place in unlimited at the SW IMAC championships in Vegas at the end of Saturdays flying and had won the third round.

This combo is flying at high altitudes and has a little less wing area to work with so it must fly more on the engine. It sure seems to be a good engine to me.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 11-17-2003, 09:09 AM
rmh

Kris -just to clear up a few points--
Brian was flying against 150 powered ,larger models -with the best pilots around -
The 100 was not on pipes - just muffled cans and turning a 26x10 Mejzlic prop - which also helped get him a maximum point award for quiet- on every flight.
I setup the plane for the 100 by doing some carving on the rudder and horizontal stabs -to eliminate any need for ballast up front. It is a very good combo. The power is -- -quite good ----

I did run this engine on pipes when I first got it - decided that it really would work fine on the WH without them.
Brian lost his own big Extra (160ZDZChamp) thru a radio failure -total destruction -so I loaned him the 100 and sold him the WH.
The engine has yet to miss a beat - with many gallons now thru it.
Oh yes--

Brian won the Unlimited IMAC trophy-(and third place in this contest)

Does that clear up how well the engine really runs?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Tim_Indy

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
Brian was flying against 150 powered ,larger models -with the best pilots around -
Brian won the Unlimited IMAC trophy-(and third place in this contest)

Does that clear up how well the engine really runs?
Dick, yes it does, and it also clears up how well the Wild Hare Extra flies!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Kris^
Banned

I'm sorry Dick. . obviously you missed my little smiley face in my post. . .

As for pulling around the Wild Hare Extra. . geesh . .my olde BME 5.8 with standard mufflers did that with a 38% Pirate Extra 260 some 4 years ago, so its been proven for a long time that it's not the power that counts, but the guy with the transmitter in his hand. Obviously the Wild Hare is no slouch on smoothness and performance, and is a good match with any 100cc class engine on the market today, and will give the 40% polanes with 150's a run for their money. But, I have a funny feeling that if someone were to fly the BME110 powered 40% Composite-Arf and Wild Hare back to back in comparison flights the BME powered plane would be the aircraft of choice. Guys flying the 150 powered CA330's have already told me they prefer my lightened "Xtreme" version over their OWN planes. .

You gotta watch out for those smiley faces, Dick . .Sometimes people ARE joking.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:48 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I don't doubt the BME110X kicks butt, and that your combo is great[:-]. But let's look at what's available. From what I've read here, there are more people waiting for a 110X to appear on their front door step, than I think anybody would care to tally up. I don't know what's the problem, only what I've read here on RCU, and I don't care to form a real opinion on that, but I certainly think some better, MUCH BETTER, [&o] planning could and should have been done, and maybe promote the 110X a little less.
DKjens
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Kris^
Banned

Well. DK. . BME is shipping 15-20 110's per week at the moment .. you really can't ask for much better than that given the problems with outside vendors that kept the 110 from going out the door initially. They also have 5-6 50's on the shelf at any time if a customer wants one. I'll be down there next week. . . maybe I'll just stay and direct some attention in the areas people seem to always complain about.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Let's go back to the first post and answer the question. He wasn't asking how it compared to any other engines, he was asking specific questions on the ZDZ 100 NG period, there is no need to bring up the BME or anyother for that matter.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:55 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Dick,

I'm curious as to what kind of noise reduction you got by using the pipes. Any measurements
taken or subjective comments to make? I'm also wondering if you got any kind of a performance
increase with the pipes. I see some manufactures are claiming something on the order of 200 rpm
increases using pipes. Any comments on either subject would be welcome. I'm seriously
considering cannisters on my next project but trying to convince myself it's really worth it.
Thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 PM
rmh

The "pipes" ain't pipes"--they are simply very good mufflers .
big difference.
The noise level on the ground really isn't impressively low -but in the air -the model is almost dead quiet until the power is turned up
Very subjective -of course but really the ground level check is absolutely worthless on the big engines.
The check is good for higher freq engines (higher rpm).
Tuned exhausts will ad anywhere from very little to many hundred rpm - it depends on the engine and the pipe - no absolutes
the DA I am presently installiny in a customer's model, has full length 10/80 pipes - these add almost 400 rpm, on his3 blade prop .
I am doing another setup on a ZDZ Champion -same setup and the power increase is a bit more on that engine.
Bottom line - pipes are set to a particular arrangement - On my 80's it makes them rum as good as most and better than some 100's .
Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

When you say "pipes" are you referring to cannister mufflers such as the KS or Pefa's?
I'm just getting in to the "quiet revolution" so have a lot to learn. I'm not familiar with
the 10/80 pipes you mentioned. How about a short description. Been flying for a very
long time and would like to try a little competition. IMAC looks interesting so I was
thinking about making my under construction Carden Edge 35% a quiet one and using
for IMAC. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 AM
rmh

go to KS -Krumscheid -german site -and look at their pipes and tuned cans etc..
these are tuning devices of varying sizes .
Some cans are just very good mufflers -which do increase performance by letting the engine flow better.
so far -the best of these is the JMB- in my experience
RCS carries them .