Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brison vs. other gassers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brison vs. other gassers??

How does Brison engines compare as far as weight, power, idle etc. to their competitors. I'm curious because there seems to be some good deals out there on these engines. thanks in advance Bass1
Old 12-07-2003, 11:46 PM
barryb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brison vs. other gassers??

Brison makes fine motors. They're very fuel efficient and have good power.
They're generally not quite as powerful as the best and they're heavier than the best,
which is why there are good deals (people always want the very latest).

I had a brison 6.4 twin in a 27 lb 13 oz 33% edge 540T and it was a great combo. A lighter motor would have required nose weight in that aircraft. Turning a MenzS 26x10 at 6300 RPM, it pulled out of a hover with great authority.
If you need a quiet setup, the Bisson mufflers for this engine are very effective.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:53 AM
Flyfalcons

My well-used Brison 3.2 is probably the most powerful 50cc at my field right now. It yanks my Midwest Extra around like there is no tomorrow. You can check out a vid of my Extra at my website. Very good power with an excellent midrange and purrs like a kitten at idle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:28 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

The only hold back I can see with the Brison engine is they have a mechanical spark advance. This adds weight and the parts wear due to being in the open. Good engines but competitors like First Place Engines with CH syncro spark could be something for you to look at.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:46 PM
bentgear

I think you can get them either way, mechanical or electronic advance. Don't have any experience with any other than the 2.4, it is a very nice engine.
Ed M.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

I have a Brison 3.2 and it runs great. I am simply happy as a pig in mud
Old 12-08-2003, 09:40 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Brison 5.8 on my GSP.com Edge 540 at 28lbs. This is a great running engine. It swings a 3W 26X10 over 6400rpm. Out turns a M&R 100 twin by 600rpm and is smoother. No it's not a DA or 3W or ZDZ or BME, but then I didn't pay over a thousand bucks for it either. Mine has mechanical advance, if 2 or 3 onces means that much to someone, than buy the auto advance one, they make it.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Bass1

Seems there are plenty of satisfied customers!I'll keep this in mind the next time I see the one I'm looking for. Bass1
Old 12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I replaced my 2.4 with a 3.2 (both Brisons) and it makes a big difference in the plane and how it flies.
Now I am no longer vertically challenged!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

My Brisson blue case 3.2 weighs less than an OS BGX 3500 glow engine with muffler. Absolutely the most reliable engine I've EVER had. Easy to start, excellent power to weight, easy to use larger props at lower RPM, low, low idle with instant response. It's an animal!! What's not to like?

The mechanical advance actually permits any gas engine to properly utilize the entire advance curve for lower idles and a somewhat higher power output. The extra power isn't really noticable, but the lower, more reliable idle and run up from idle stands out.

My next engine will be a Brisson, and so will the one after that.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:58 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I have a Brison 3.2 on a Christen Eagle and a 4.2 on a Giant Stinger, Both start on the first flip, both have been getting stronger and stronger as the days go by. I love them I also have a ZDZ-80, Great engine also. My opinion is the Brison is as good or better then most of the "high dollar" engines. I bet if Brison put out the same engine under another name and charged double for it people would buy it and rave about it like they do the other costly engines. I will guarantee you will not find a better warrenty on an engine nor will you find better prople to deal with. Great engine, Great people that stand behind them.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:05 AM
A320driver

Unless Brison have changed the design on the 3.2 it is still a two bearing engine vs three on almost all other similar engines. Results from I what have seen, is a lot more vibration. Mechanical advance for the timing is a little dated as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Timing advance is available via mechanical or auto (both C&H units). The choice is up to the customer. If one has the mechanical, it can be made into auto advance by locking the timing ring at the 28deg mark and installing the C&H module between the pickup and controller. My 5.8 has the mechanical and works just fine, no need to change it.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Geistware

If the perfomrance I get from my "dated" engine is any indication of their quality, then I will keep coming back for the old stuff. We will see about reliability but quality is great.

ORIGINAL: A320driver

Unless Brison have changed the design on the 3.2 it is still a two bearing engine vs three on almost all other similar engines. Results from I what have seen, is a lot more vibration. Mechanical advance for the timing is a little dated as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:03 PM
4fingers

I have a 4.8 Brison Twin on my Lanier Staudacher. It starts, runs and idles awsume! The ign advance is mechanical and has not given any problems. After breakin, I am using Klotz oil at 80:1. I also have a 6.4 Brison Twin on a Hanger 9 Sukhoi. Awsume, Awsume, Awsume! These models are flown at altitudes of 3000ft to 5500ft altitudes.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Bass1

About the vibration thing.. Has anyone experienced any excessive vibration that might cause airframe/radio problems with these "two bearing" engines?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Tired Old Man

The vibration levels on any of the Brison singles is not any more or less than anyone elses single, regardless of the number of bearings. The twins are about the same also. The only place I get a bunch of vibration is at the bottom end of the low idle zone. I've seen the same in BME, 3W and DA. The Brison engines generally perform flawlessly, regardless of timing type. You cannot ask for more than that.

If you want to purchase a more expensive engine with a "big" name attached to it, so be it. Personally, I don't believe you are going to get a noticable performance increase for the extra dollars spent. I do know that getting your "big' name engine serviced or if you need parts, is going to take more time and effort when you have to work with an out of country manufacturer.

I have to admit that I will never have TOC type ability, I won't ever become a magazine flight idol, and I won't win big money in contests. But then again, I don't have the time or desire to do any of those things. That leaves me in a position to purchase and use items that work effectively, at a price I can afford, and that have excellent performance and longevity. If it isn't the "brand of the moment" I don't mind. I prefer quality at a good price to prestige and a high price.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Bass1

I'm starting to become a Brison fan! Now, if only I could find a deal on a 3.2 with an inverted Pitts muffler[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Geistware

Too bad you don't need a 2.4
Old 12-13-2003, 11:38 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 0tter
I have a Brison 3.2 and it runs great. I am simply happy as a pig in mud
Me too! I recently purchased a RTF Aeroworks 29% Edge 540 with a Brison 3.2. I wasn't sure about the engine as most of the gassers at my field are DAs... In fact I have a DA-50 sitting in a box waiting for the ever elusive Yak-54... Anyway -- my Brison 3.2 has made a believer out of me! I've flown it dozens of time sine I bought it and it has impressed me with its ease of starting, fuel efficiency, power (Mejzlik 22X10 @ 7260!), and overall user friendliness. I couldn't have asked for a better first gasser experience!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:42 PM
walton
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I'm starting to become a Brison fan! Now, if only I could find a deal on a 3.2 with an inverted Pitts muffler[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I have a Brison 3.2 silver case with a pitts muffler C&H ignition with bosh cap in my pw extra. I would consider selling.
[email protected]
Old 12-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Jesse-RCU

budy let me tell you something, you get what you pay for. Just go check it out for yourself and see what big boys are using, ya they ( DA's and 3W's) are more expensive but you can not by far compare the power to weight ratio with brison or Zenoa's or any other chainsaw engine. go to www.downonthedeck.com and see what the best pilots are using and why. not saying anything bad about brison or etc. ya my 3w does cost more and is not made in the U. S., but neither are some of the best built automobiles. and as far as vibration at the low end goes, just listen to a 3W 48 twin and take notes. if you want anything smoother than the 3w 48, you just gonna have to go electric.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:25 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Congratulations. Welcome (from afar) to the DA/3W brainwash club.

Unless you're a TOC competitor, just keep pi$$in' your money away. That's how those companies stay in business.

Oh yea, BTW; I have a LOT of giant scale aircraft. Brisons and Zenoahs on all except one. It had a ZDZ on it when I bought it.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:57 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

I am a big DA fan but love my Brison 3.2 as well! Simple design, mechanical advance works great for me, starts right up and runs smooth. I would buy and fly another with no problem or questions. I think they are great!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Born to Fly

May I know what engines are the best ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.