Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Hard starting zenoah G45 - need advise

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Hard starting zenoah G45 - need advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:55 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting zenoah G45 - need advise

I have a fairly new G-45 with about an hour of running time on it. It is very difficult to start. I don't have an electric starter that can turn it over so I am hand cranking it. I choke it until it fires then open the choke. It fires every flip but kicks back on the next compression stroke. It fires almost everytime but I can not get it to go through a second compression stroke because I can feel the wind on my hand from the prop reversing on the second compression stroke. I have tried varying amount of throttle position but I am averaging about an hour of flipping per single crank. Something is not right...

It is completely stock with the easy carb adapter and a B&B muffler. Zinger 20x10 prop with aluminum spinner. When we put a 24v starter on it at the field it start immediately every time. I've considered a spring start but don't like the idea of adding weight and the $60 price. Plus H9 is out of stock. I don't really want to upgrade to a 24v starting system since that is a lot to carry and defeats the simplicity of gas.

Thanks in advance for help...
Old 12-11-2003, 06:10 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hard starting zenoah G45 - need advise

I have a spring starter I will sell for $25. It was used for awhile on my G-45 and removed when I went to electronic ignition. It will solve your problem
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
tkg

Several choices
Grow a bigger arm-- CH Jump start 2oz, $60-- CH full ignition 0oz $125-- spring starter 6oz ,$60.
Its only going to get worse an the rings seat, this will raise the compression and make even a slower flip.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: tkg

Several choices
Grow a bigger arm-- CH Jump start 2oz, $60-- CH full ignition 0oz $125-- spring starter 6oz ,$60.
Its only going to get worse an the rings seat, this will raise the compression and make even a slower flip.
If your ignition weighs what you say it does, send me a few
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Try setting your prop at 1 o'clock when the compression starts. With switch off, choke on, throttle at 1/2 or so, block the opening of the carb with your finger, and pull the prop through until fuel is dripping out of carb. Turn switch on, open throttle just a click or two, choke 3/4 closed. Now back the prop up to 5 o'clock and with 2 finger(with clove on) close to the spinner, flip your wrist in an upside down "J" motion all the way through compression and down to 7 o'clock. This will get the magnets spinning fast enough to create a spark. Engine should fire and run. Open choke and you're ready. Once you get this procedure down, after primed, you can leave the choke open and not use it. All Zenoah's like to be very wet to get them to start. Hope this helps. Once I learned this procedure, I sold my Sullivan Megatron starter.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:56 AM
tkg

"If your ignition weighs what you say it does, send me a few" RCIGN1

RCI, ITS magic. Well sorta. You remove the HEAVY flywheel plus the HEAVY mag coil, then install our light weight ignition system PLUS a battery and the planes weight change is 0oz.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:18 AM
yl5295

Dirtybird,

I emailed you but your spam filter blocks my email...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:19 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: yl5295

Dirtybird,

I emailed you but your spam filter blocks my email...
Thats funny. I got your email. Did you get a message that it was blocked? I also answered it. Did you get the answer?
Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM
yl5295

I did get a message that it was blocked and I have not gotten your email?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
NavyE6FE

yl5295,
If you have a large cordless drill(around 18V) you can get a starter cup from a megatron and run the drill on Hi and it will turn fast enough to start the G45. I use a craftsman 18V on my Fuji50, works every time.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:25 PM
dirtybird

The starter fits a cup mount if you have one. If not you will need to cut a hole in the firewall for it.
I do not have paypal I will take your check. If you will let me know that you have sent it I will send the starter to you.
Richard H. Kelly
Old 12-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had this problem until I got a B&B spring starter. I don't care what anyone says, get the carb wet and your engine will start on the first or second flip. It is a great device.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
dcs155
My Feedback: (2)

Also had the same problem with the 45 as well as the g-62,spring starter solves the problem and if choked till fuel is dripping, or finger wet, it will start almost always on the first time.worked for me. D.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 AM
IanB

Please dont get a spring starter they are the most dangerous things in rc modelling............I have SEEN several guys with tore up hands because of them.

Every Zenoah I have ever seen will hand start very easily if you have the right technique.

First thing make sure the coil pickup is as close as possible to the shaft. If it is not adjusted properly it has to turn very fast before the ignition produces a good spark................adjust it as close as you can get without any rubbing.

Second.........you have to have the prop in the right place on the hub before you can hand start................look at the rear of the prop driver where the ignition pickup is , you will see three magnets embedded in the metal............when you prop the engine to make a good start ALL of those magnets should move at speed under the coil............if they do not loosen the prop bolt and adjust the prop so they do.............it will usually look like this...........

set the prop so that the onset of compression is at 11 o'clock rather than 12 or 1 or 2
when propping move the prop back to 2 or 3 o'clock and swing from there......this should allow all the magnets to pass under the coil generating a healthy spark!

Good tip...........................learn to swing this WITHOUT the plug lead attached so you get comfortable before trying to start the engine............DO NOT be tentative........a good hard positive swing.

Back in the uk there were very few guys fussing with any kind of starter.........just more crap to lug to the flying field!!!!

Also Zenoahs will only ever kick back if they are dry.............keep it choked til it fires

WEAR A GLOVE...........the design is such that the single bolt hub will loosen if the engine kicks back........it can still give you a fright more than anything and wearing a glove will give you more confidence !!

Kindest regards IanB
Old 12-15-2003, 11:09 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: IanB

Please dont get a spring starter they are the most dangerous things in rc modelling............I have SEEN several guys with tore up hands because of them.

Every Zenoah I have ever seen will hand start very easily if you have the right technique.

First thing make sure the coil pickup is as close as possible to the shaft. If it is not adjusted properly it has to turn very fast before the ignition produces a good spark................adjust it as close as you can get without any rubbing.

Second.........you have to have the prop in the right place on the hub before you can hand start................look at the rear of the prop driver where the ignition pickup is , you will see three magnets embedded in the metal............when you prop the engine to make a good start ALL of those magnets should move at speed under the coil............if they do not loosen the prop bolt and adjust the prop so they do.............it will usually look like this...........

set the prop so that the onset of compression is at 11 o'clock rather than 12 or 1 or 2
when propping move the prop back to 2 or 3 o'clock and swing from there......this should allow all the magnets to pass under the coil generating a healthy spark!

Good tip...........................learn to swing this WITHOUT the plug lead attached so you get comfortable before trying to start the engine............DO NOT be tentative........a good hard positive swing.

Back in the uk there were very few guys fussing with any kind of starter.........just more crap to lug to the flying field!!!!

Also Zenoahs will only ever kick back if they are dry.............keep it choked til it fires

WEAR A GLOVE...........the design is such that the single bolt hub will loosen if the engine kicks back........it can still give you a fright more than anything and wearing a glove will give you more confidence !!

Kindest regards IanB
There are many things in this hobby that are dangerous. Anyone that cannot keep their hands out of the prop should seek out other hobbies.
A Zenoah can be hand started but the spring makes it easier. That small fly wheel means the process is more critical. A spring kicks the motor over faster. But you must get your hand out of the way! BTW you must do this even if you are hand starting.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:31 AM
yl5295

Dirtybird,

Still trying to get an email to you or from you... need your address and/or a phone #
Old 12-15-2003, 12:00 PM
dirtybird

My address is:
Richard H. Kelly
1452 S. Ellsworth #2036
Mesa, Az
Tele 480 984 8036
Old 12-15-2003, 05:49 PM
alanc

hope this goes to the right place right guys, this is how we do it in the uk. first an explanation, once at a show, i was about to buy an easy start system, trader said,WHY IN HELL DO YOU WANT THIS i replied, because i cant start the *****thing, come on says he, let me show you, right off with cowl(33%extra 300) right here it is, and this guy knows his stuff, undo the 2 bolts holding the coil pickup, insert an ordinary piece of note paper, holding the paper in place, advance the magnets, CLANG they have trapped the paper, tighten up the 2 screws again, now the prop, bring the engine round to compression, just so you can feel it, then tighten up the prop, making sure the propIS VERTICAL now, to recap, minimum gap,--just feeling a WHISKER of compression, prop at vertical THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT!!! FLICKING THE THING!! and this is how you practise--- make a slapping motion in front of you, just like slapping someone across the face, hit, and follow through, now then, apply this to the vetical prop, put the choke on, dont hit the propSLAP IT SLAP IT AS IF YOU HATE IT, 3-5 flicks, it will fire, after it has fired, give it one more, then release the choke, slap it again, immediatly, after 3-4 flicks, it will go, its just a technique and if you think it does not work, when i learned this, my son started his z62 in the extra, and he was 11 years old at the time for you guys with a large radial cowl, tony clark, of practical scale in germany does a booster, called an easy start system this gives MEGA boost to the coil, a real aid to starting, but i dont know if you guys can get them over there, hope this helps, take care, ALANC manchester, united kingdom
Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Ultimate

hmmm,

slapping technique works - but even with the choke on, my zg45 will still occasionally backfire which is unpleasant and occasionally painfull.

an alternative technique to slapping with the choke on:

full throttle, choke on, firm grip (no flicking or slapping) on the prop rapidly turn the engine over 6 to 9 times, then
just above idle, choke on, firm grip on the prop rapidly turn the engine over another 5 times, then
just above idle, choke off, firm grip on the prop rapidly turn the engine over another 5 times, then

use slapping method as above to start the engine. It will usually start within 2 or 3 slaps with no danger of backfiring.

works for me (thanks to Richard Gale for sharing thistechnique with me)

Chris
Old 12-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with IanB. The only time I have ever smacked my hand with a gas engine is with one that has a spring starter (US 35). When you flip start your hand naturally moves well out of the way.

I have 4 Zenoahs and they all hand start. I think the secret is two things: Prop position in relation to compression, about 12 o'clock seems work for me, and having a strong "follow-through" (like in golfing) when you flip the prop.

Jim
Old 12-16-2003, 09:47 AM
IanB

Maybe I have never seen anyone use a spring starter correctly but I will tell you this,

I do not like the fact that with the spring installed is much harder to feel the prime condition of the engine. You cannot feel the prop bounce as it catches the spring.

I do not like having to tranfer the prop from hand to hand to fully wind it ( both hands in the prop arc with tension on the prop!!)

I do not like the forces a spring starter applies to the model or rather you apply as you try to hold the thing on the ground while you wind the spring up.

I do not like the extra weight

I do not like the FACT that I have seen a spring SLOWLY rotate an engine through compression then almost take the poor guys hand off as he reached for the prop just when it passed tdc

I do not like the look of fear I have seen so many times on peoples faces trying to use the ------ things!!!

Kindest regards IanB

But hey if it works for you ...........why not
Just my 02c
Old 12-16-2003, 11:43 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: IanB

Maybe I have never seen anyone use a spring starter correctly but I will tell you this, (* Drop by and I will show you how to use it correctly *)

I do not like the fact that with the spring installed is much harder to feel the prime condition of the engine. You cannot feel the prop bounce as it catches the spring. (* It sounds to me like your spring needs maintenence*)

I do not like having to tranfer the prop from hand to hand to fully wind it ( both hands in the prop arc with tension on the prop!!) (* Drop by and I will show you how to use it correctly*)

I do not like the forces a spring starter applies to the model or rather you apply as you try to hold the thing on the ground while you wind the spring up. (* Drop by and I will show you how to use it correctly*)

I do not like the extra weight (*6 oz on an 80" airplane?*)

I do not like the FACT that I have seen a spring SLOWLY rotate an engine through compression then almost take the poor guys hand off as he reached for the prop just when it passed tdc (* Drop by and I will show you how to use it correctly*)

I do not like the look of fear I have seen so many times on peoples faces trying to use the ------ things!!! (* Drop by and I will show you how to use it correctly*)

Kindest regards IanB

But hey if it works for you ...........why not
Just my 02c
It worked quite well for me.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Grab the plane with one hand, grab the tip of the prop with the other, wind it about 3/4 turn CW, pull your hand out of the way...couldn't be easier [8D]
Old 12-16-2003, 02:05 PM
4fingers

I use a Sullivan Megatron starter with my G45's and G62"s. Sure works nice. No fuss-no muss......
Old 12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I use a Hobbico 180 with a Miller 4 to 1 reduction to start my G45 and Mustang 50. The Hobbico 180 would not start my Saito 150 so I got a Dynatron for that. One thing no one mentioned is what happens when the rollers in the spring starter get dry and it gets hot and locks up, if your lucky it will only break the spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.