Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Selling used 3W's

Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling used 3W's

I read all the post about all the problems that people are having with there 3W engines and that they are selling them and buying a different brand but when you look in the for sale forum you never see them posted as bad engines, Allways run great just had check up and so on.
Go figure that one.
Milton
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Selling used 3W's

I bought two used 3W-100 motors, one in a plane (3rd owner) and one from ^Kris. I have about 600 flights on one and about 150 flights on the other. Both are reliable and strong enough to pull a 29lb plane around. I've rebuilt the carbs (about $7 for the kit), put on a new set of DA ignition caps, and use the intake snorkel. Plenty of my flying buddies buy good running used 3W motors. Yes, sometimes there are issues with the ignition caps and the carb block warping, and reed valves wearing out. These problems are all fixable. Are the engines superior to DA motors? No. Are they so close in performance that you can't tell the difference while flying the plane? Yes. Do we enjoy paying less for a good running used motor? Yes.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:54 AM
RC Extreme power

Same here, Only have bought used with good success, Make my own carb blocks out of Phenolic and they run great. Never had a ignition problem. The point I was trying to make is when the owners of these(Bad) engines decide to sell them they all of a sudden become great running used engines.
Milton
Old 12-22-2003, 09:55 AM
IanB

Did the one you get from Kris have a DA carb block on it............I know he did this to a lot of his 3w engines?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Diablo-RCU

Nope, stock old-style carb block. I put a new square rubber gasket on it. I didn't tighten it down until my shorts ripped though.....
Old 12-22-2003, 09:40 PM
IanB

Milton................glad you are having success with the used 3w engines.............perhaps I will follow your example and try and pick up a used 106.

I think I might save myself some grief and maybe make my own carb block also.
Do you think I should just go ahead and replace the plug caps at the same time?

If I could pick one up real cheap it might be worth making / buying the bits and pieces to make it run good................I dont want to take any chances.

Kindest regards IanB
Old 12-22-2003, 09:44 PM
RC Extreme power

Don't know much about the plug caps never had a problem with them.
Milton
Old 12-22-2003, 09:51 PM
IanB

So all you do to get them to run right is make your own carb blocks??

Is it easy?

How do you do it?

Diablo says he replaces the plug caps and rebuilds the carbs............just asking your opinion.

Kindest regards,IanB
Old 12-22-2003, 10:02 PM
IanB

Diablo I read somewhere else on rcu that you were using a DA ignition on your 3w100..............did it make any difference?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:04 PM
RC Extreme power

I make the blocks out of the hard black phanolic. Use a router and drill press to make them, You have to make sure the recess for for rubber gasket is the right dept. I don't know what DA gets for there blocks but have seen where you can make mods on them to use with 3W. All I know was the first one that I wanted I called 3W and they wanted $75.00 for it.(About $1.00 worth of material)that is when I decided to make them. As to the plug caps why not good insurance.
One thing I do is only buy a engine that I can put in my hand before I buy.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:18 PM
RC Extreme power

Here is a pick of a old one and one I make
Hope it helps
Milton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30793.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	84610  
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IanB

So all you do to get them to run right is make your own carb blocks??

Is it easy?

How do you do it?

Diablo says he replaces the plug caps and rebuilds the carbs............just asking your opinion.

Kindest regards,IanB
The 3W ignition gets a lot of bad air, for the most part the problem originated from the use of an inferior insulator which broke down in time(this material was limited to several runs of ignitions). 3W realized the shortcoming eventually as time broke things down into failures. A new material was used and the plug cap problem has not been an issue since. 3W replaced all caps with new units under warranty when submitted to the best of my knowledge. Off the many 3W engines I have owned I had one cap fail, Cactus replaced the caps and that was that.
NOW I am not suggesting that there are not other ignition related failures, there are. Like all manufacturers there are simply failures and again thats, that. Other ignition systems have the failures too. In fact I have actually had actual module failures with others, DA, C&H and Falkon to name a few.

To add to the 3W ignition story some of the early released NEW style super duper ignitions were fitted by the ignition manufacturer with an IC or chip which was not temperature tolerant to the environment under the cowl of some models. You either had a misfiring, cylinder dropping engine or not. Again those with the suspect ignitions were replaced under warranty.

To the best of my knowledge the carb block manifold adapter was an issue with earlier engines with the dark brown colored phenolic material. I have owned several of these engines they performed flawlessly. Why does the manifold warp to begin with I suspect a better material could have been employed BUT as many can attest the original simply worked for most without issue. I think one of the common problems is owners simply over tightening the retaining bolts. Others maybe results of engines run hot, over heated and abused. For the most part periodic removal of the block and checking the surface with a straight edge revealed if you had an issue or not. Proper surface prep and the use of an anaerobic solvent or gas resistant gasket sealer alleviated the problem. With periodic maintenance checks this simply was and is not an issue, IMO...

OK, 3W saw the light and room for improvement and starting using a new material for the carb manifold adapters. I have yet to have an issue with any of mine. The new black materials is working without issue on my five 3W engines. I have heard of some modelers having problems with these new blocks, I believe were back to the over zealous wrench with superior knowledge of all things mechanical syndrome.

OK this is a rather simplistic statement but I believe its accurate. The carbs don't need to be rebuilt unless they need to be rebuilt, simple as that! Some simply do so to know all is well and its cheap insurance if you are not the original owner of said engine. I would simply check the debris screen and run the engine and decide from there... However the kits are cheap.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Diablo-RCU

Michael said it for me.
I ran a DA ignition for a season on a 3W-100 when the original ignition had cap problems. I bought DA ignition caps and put them on the 3W ignition. The DA ignition then failed, and I put the 3W ignition back on. The 3W ignition has been working just fine for 2 seasons. DA replaced the bad ignition and it sits on the shelf as a spare. The engine runs the same as long as the ignition provides spark to both cylinders....
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Milton...do you have any of those good used 3W engines lating around? Capt,n
Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 PM
RC Extreme power

Man this is a old post

Still got one 150, but think I will hang on to it.

Edit
The one that i still have is the one i made the carb block for listed in earlier post in 2002

You can pick up some good deals on 120cc

Milton
Old 09-14-2008, 05:58 PM
RC Extreme power

Capt, I think me and you used to chat here in 2002 when I was converting chainsaw engines.

Milton
Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the old postings...a person can learn a lot. I wish I could come up with some things like you did to save $$$ and same time have a little fun! Best Regards Capt,n
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

I have a New In the Box Aircraft International blue version 3W 106iB2 with Super Sonic mufflers & Ignition and I have been fighting this weird urge to sell it and buy one of these RCXP 102cc engines. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Go figure ...
Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
RC Extreme power

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I have a New In the Box Aircraft International blue version 3W 106iB2 with Super Sonic mufflers & Ignition and I have been fighting this weird urge to sell it and buy one of these RCXP 102cc engines. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Go figure ...

If I was you i would go for it.

The savings would by your servos.

Milton
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM
jack1933
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Milton, Have you considered using aluminum for the carb block? I have made several of these for fellows using 3W engines. There is no warping, and the hot soak of the carb has not been a problem. Just another cure for this pest.
Regards
Jack Strickland
Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with 3w engines. They will run strong for a loooooong time if you take care of them.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:13 PM
RC Extreme power

When I made the original post in 2003, I was not saying that 3W were bad engines.

What I was trying to say is that you would see a post by someone that was having all kinds of problems and then you would see the same person post it for sale saying how great it ran.

I have a 150 that is over 10 years old and still going strong, Set for 4 years and I mounted it on a plane two weeks ago and still ran like it did when I put it up.

There was a problem with there carb blocks but it took very little effort to get it to work.

Milton