Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Elongated crankshaft with ballbearing

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Elongated crankshaft with ballbearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Elongated crankshaft with ballbearing

Gents,

A friend of mine wants to power his large Pilatus Turbo Porter with a 40cc Gasoline engine. The slender nose (which houses normally the slim turboprop) "dictates" an extension to the crankshaft, plus a ball bearing in front, as close as possible behind the spinner backplate.
He thinks fixing the engine plus shaft and bearing in a single metal "bed", which can be removed from the plane as a whole.
Any ideas about this? Hints/tips, pictures?

Tks for reacting,
Old 01-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elongated crankshaft with ballbearing

I made an 8" extension for a 3W 70 twin...The front of the crankcase was threaded, then an aluminum bar was bored out and threaded to match. The other end of the bar was bored to hold a sealed ball bearing..A steel bar was machined to match the taper on the end of the crank and threaded up inside to screw onto the crank, held by Loctite..The other end of the rod that stuck out of the bearing was made with a taper and some threads on the end.. A new aluminum hub was made to fit the taper..Worked fine, added weight...Some crankcases don't have enough material on the end to do it this way, but the same idea would work if there was enough casting on the front of the case to put a flange on the bar and bolt it on....All these parts have to be exactly concentric to the crank...The 3w was a race engine that had to be as far back in the cowl as possible...
If the engine mount on rails an aluminum plate extension could be made with a block on the front to house the bearing...
Old 01-23-2004, 03:05 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top!

A friend directed me to http://mitglied.lycos.de/MFC_Ahlen/m...eil01haupt.htm
In German language but lotsa pics, go everytime to the bottom of the page to get to the next one of in total 9 pages!
They have a working shaft extension there!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're putting a lot of faith in the rigidity of the fuselage.....