Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:42 AM
qweedqwag
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuji help

Hey guys is anyone here using any of these? How do they perform? I wanted to use one is a Extreme Aircraft 25% Extra 300L ARF. What are some reliable 46 to 50 cc engines?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89096.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	95299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12922.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	95300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35946.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	95301  
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 AM
tinpre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuji help

I got a BT-32A and installed it on a 1/4 J-3. The engine runs very stable at any rpm. The idle can down to only about 1000 rpm. But it's very difficult to start by hand flipping. So I install a spring starter and it works very well.... A very reliable engine.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
NavyE6FE

I have the 50sb in a GP Pitts, flies it great. First start no problem, after that sometimes I have to breakout the persuader. Talked to a guy the other day with a 50, he said he spent the money on a CH Ignition for it and what a difference it made, easy to start, smoother, more power.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:52 PM
troymalone
My Feedback: (5)

I have a GP Pitts as well. I have a Fuji SA in it. I am still setting it up and I cannot get rid of radio interferance when I am doing a range check with the engine running. I just moved the throttle linkage to a nylon pushrod and moved the servo back to the CG and still have the same interferance problem. This is my first gasser so I need some help...what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-01-2004, 07:06 AM
NavyE6FE

Troy, where did you route the antenna?? If you have in the tube in the fuse., this is more than likely your interference problem. I had the same thing with the antenna placed in the tube. Once I ran the ant. to the outside and attached it to the Horiz. stab, my interference problems went away.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:26 PM
uwe1

Hi

I come from Germany and hav an Fuji 50SB. I Fly a Great Planes Extra Patty Wagstaf. I have litle Problems with the Ignition. I have read from NavyE6FE that ist possible to have a electronical Ignitation for this 50SB.
Where it is possible to buying this. I hope hi mean a electronical Ignitation with " CH Ignition".

Uwe
Old 02-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the Byron Mustang version of that engine, it had fixed timing but ran very well turning a 20x8 at 7,200 rpm, it was also very smooth, I ran the same muffler as in your pic. Thrusday I shipped it to Mississippi in a swap for a SuperTigre 4500. The Mustang and my Zenoah G45 ran almost identical, too similar to keep both. The G45 would be an excellent choice also.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:48 PM
NavyE6FE

uwe1,

Yes I was refering to an electronic ignition. The guy said that he had called CH-Ignition and talked to them, here is a link http://www.ch-ignitions.com/
Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

In response to troymalone I agree with NavyE6FE regarding the antenna. Needs to be outside the fuse. Hate to sound so obvious, but maybe this will make you double check a few things. How about metal against metal or lose connections? Are you using the stock spark plug that came with the engine, if not, does the one you are using have a resistor? Rx at least 15+ inches away from the magneto? Also, My son ran the computer printer near one of my airplanes while I was working on a servo and all of a sudden several servos began to jump around. I was about to go nuts when it stopped. He then started to print another page and it started all over again. I just happened to pick up on the sound of the printer running and connected the concept that it was causing RF interference. Go figure........

qweedqwag - for the money the Fuji is a fine motor. I had the earlier SA model and did have challenges in getting it started, but this was probably more me than the engine. I understand the SB model has been improved to make starting easier. Engine ran fine. A bit on the heavy side, but then with the big fly wheel magneto you would expect this, but then there is an advantage with this design. The fly wheel helps to smooth the engine out. I had guys say that it was the smoothest motor they had seen in a gas engine. I have a DA 50 now and honestly feel the Fuji ran a little smoother. The DA cost a good bit more, but it also provides more power and is easier to start with electronic ignition. For the way I fly either engine would be fine. One thing to consider is the cost of a starter if you elect to get one for an engine this size. This can offset the saving you get by going with a less expensive motor without electronic ignition. All a matter of budget and what you want, but I would have no problem using a Fuji again if I wanted to keep the cost down. Note: I already have the starter so wouldn't have to buy this again.