Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Tada
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does your DA50 do this?

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Tada,

Let us know what they found when the engine returns. My bet is still on some kind of carb issue.
Thats what I suspected as well. I didn't want to open the carb because it says on the manual that if I open it I void the warranty so it left me no choice really but to send it back. Thanks for all the replies, will definitely post results when I get back just in case something like this happens to someone else and have some preventative measures.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
sortegon
My Feedback: (9)

I had that issue not long ago. It was a dirty carb screen. (you have to open the carb from the one screw side)
Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 PM
daltonaviation

What was the ignition battery voltage when checked under a load? Sounds like a weak ignition battery.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Tada

ORIGINAL: daltonaviation

What was the ignition battery voltage when checked under a load? Sounds like a weak ignition battery.
Yeps I actually used a 4.8 (Eneloop) 2000 Nimh pack and I checked it under load. I will try with 6volts when I get the engine back Monday Oct 5th. One thing my friends told me is that the engine might have been not completely broken in yet. They said don't use the Amsoil 100:1 Saber Pro Premix until you have at least 100 flights on your plane, which I haven't yet. They said to switch back to Penzoil Air Cooled 32:1 for a long time. I did notice the engine was heating up at half throttle so they might be right.

I'll see Monday if I switch back to more oil and see if this happens or it could be the 4.8v battery pack I was using.

Thanks for all the replies, I hope I can get this thing running its going in my Reactor 50cc and can't wait to show you all how pretty it looks.

By the way, where would I get 3" engine stand offs for the DA 50 the Reactor instructions said I needed to use the 3" stand offs because of the cowl setup.

Well the good thing about the engine being out is that I am almost finished the build!...Hinging, epox'ing...electronics, control surfaces, servos installed, controll rods, control horns, choke system, drilled holes for the DA 50....it just really needs the engine so I can finalize the cowl cutting and length of throttle and choke...lol I even put the decals on the plane...

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Tada

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Tada,

Let us know what they found when the engine returns. My bet is still on some kind of carb issue.

Well I finally got it in and installed it. The tech's at DA didn't find anything wrong with it but my friends told me to go back to Penzoil 32:1 per gallon and that fixed the overheating issue. They said to not use Amsoil 100:1 for a long long long time. I also adjusted the needle like this: Low Speed Needle on 1 1/4 open and High Speed to 2 1/4 open and she ran just fine after that. I'm not sure if DA ran it long enough but when I received it I mounted the engine on my Reactor 50cc and bench ran it and it died and this is using a 6.0v ignition battery 1500mah Nicd with plenty of juice under load.

Got my maiden flight in about a week ago and she ran perfect and idled just right.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Tada

Well it did it again but this time I found the problem. At half throttle it would start dying like it was running out of fuel so after a few hours of tinkering and searching more answers on the internet it was the "Carburater Screen"!!!!

I opened up the carb and on the part where its a round circle screen there was junk on top of it everywhere, pieces of tiny wood and shaving and no telling what else was in there..probably just needed yearly maintenance with regular wear and tear. So I bought a carb cleaner from the local auto store and sprayed it lightly after using a q-tip and cloth to get the junk outa there.

That fixed the problem instantly. I'm surprised the DA tech's missed this because they said it ran fine when they got it but I'm not sure if they didn't run it long enough to notice it.

Anyways I'm happy with my DA again. I'm kinda' glad I did it myself because now I just learned something new.