Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

U.S. 41 engine starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:54 PM
jwnge
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. 41 engine starting

[:@][:@][:@] This sucker just won't start worth a darn.. Even with a starter that turns it over really easy..We just can't seem to find the right way.. any help appreciated.. thanks[:@]
Old 05-04-2004, 06:30 AM
beepee

Default RE: U.S. 41 engine starting

jwnge,

Take a step back and check a few of the basics. These engines are hard to keep from running when everything functions as it should.

First, check that you are getting spark. Pull the spark plug, connect it to the lead and ground it to the engine case (make sure the engine kill is disconnected). Spin the prop and look for spark. The spark may be weak at low RPM and this is usually due to clearance between the coil and flywheel magnets. You should just be able to get a business card between them.

Second, make sure you are getting fuel through the carb. If it will run, once finally started, this is usually not the problem. But, if you have any doubt, check the fine screen behind the diaphragm and make sure it is clean.

GOOD LUCK!

Bedford
Old 05-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

Like Bedford said, these motors are pretty fool proof. Mine usually starts on the first flip.

Kill switch in the off position.

Put hand over carb, throttle half open and turn it over by hand until fuel is in the carb.

Throttle set to idle, kill switch set to run position.

Wind the prop 1/2 turn backwards and slide hand off the end of the prop and presto, it's running. (Mine has the spring starter).
Old 05-04-2004, 07:31 AM
BJH424
My Feedback: (10)

The gap between the magneto and coil should be .020 " according to US. The plug should be 035". Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:47 AM
jwnge

This belongs to a friend I fly with. It is on a Dynaflite Decathalon.. With the plug out and grounded, turning with a starter, it has good spark. It seems no matter where the throttle is set, it makes no difference in starting.. We will check the distance to see if it is around .020 for the mag.. It , when started, runs really good, idle and at full throttle in the air.. oh, it has no spring for starting, just a big belt driven starter is used. I wonder if it might be turning too slow..thanks, John
Old 05-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Q42 which is the forerunner of the US engines. It must be really wet (gas in the cly.) in order to start. Mine has a spring starter and starts first time everytime. The spring starter broke one time and it took me two weeks to get a replacement, I tried I bet 50 times in those 2 weeks to start that engine and never could, put the new spring on, first flip, Varooooooom.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:43 PM
jwnge

Kind of makes me think it needs more speed from starter to start
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 AM
BJH424
My Feedback: (10)

US Engines is selling the spring starter assembly for $39.95.[link]http://www.us-engines.com[/link]
Old 05-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Tell your buddy to buy one & a replacement spring. It's the best $40.00 he has ever spent, that didn't come in a bottle.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:54 AM
mikenlapaz

1) Try a fresh new plug properly gapped.
2) Try loosening the plug to relieve the compression a bit, IE faster turnover. If it fires let it run a minute, shut down, tighten plug and try restarting. Works for me but on different engine.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:57 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a business card to set the magneto gap. It should be tight! Open the throttle fully, choke till wet. CLose the throttle to idle, ignition on, and flip it hard. Never seen a quadra yet that would not hand start. 35's, 50's, 42's, 75 magneto...all hand started fine. If you flood it, the plug will gas foul pretty easy. The spark will be weak and not between the two electrodes if it is gas fouled. It could look just fine, but trust me when they are gas fouled, throw them out.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have spark and the filter is not cloged, then it is insufficient prime. Put you finger or thumb over the throat of the carb and turn it over (with kill switch activated) until you literly have fuel all over your thumb--very wet. Turn off kill switch and should start on next try or two.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:10 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rodney

If you have spark and the filter is not cloged, then it is insufficient prime. Put you finger or thumb over the throat of the carb and turn it over (with kill switch activated) until you literly have fuel all over your thumb--very wet. Turn off kill switch and should start on next try or two.
That is how I start mine.....always starts right up. I use the spring starter I have never tried to start it by just flipping .probabably should . If I can off the spring start its a pound saved.[X(]