Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME service

Old 05-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME service

I just wanted to say a few words about some things that just happened. I had two of the "Blue case" BME Xtreme's . .One was my original 110, about the oldest (and hardest run) 110 out there since Keith started shipping them to customers. The other was a 102 that had been upgraded to a 106 by swapping over the 110 jugs and pistons/rings. Both had run very well since day one. .almost TOO well it seems, and except for one ignition glitch, that CH solved very efficiently for me, these two engines have just been more than I could have asked for.

At Keith's request, I shipped both engines back to him, so that he could evaluate them for wear and check out all the components to see how they were holding up. Pushing the limits of durabilitiy and design efficiency, the way the Xtreme110 does, it seemed like a prudent request, and I sent them to him about 2.5 weeks ago. Tuesday I called to check on their return, and they were already on the Brown truck. I found them in a box, on my front porch, this evening when I got back from work.

I opened the box. . and was very surprised, because instead of the blue anodized crankcases I now had the newer style Silver ones. Well, okay, I thought, Keith wants to differentiate the old from the new ( I was kind of partial to the blue casings. . darnit). then I thought about it for a minute. . .I had sent him a 110 and a 106. . which was which? (it does matter sometimes)

So, off came one jug, just sliding it up far enough to check the crankshaft for the lightening hole on the balance pad that differentiates the 110 crankshaft from the 1mm shorter stroke 102 crankshaft. Sure enough, the first engine was a 110. . hmmmm. . let's check the 2nd one and make SURE. You know. .it REALLY bothers me when people do nice things that I didn't expect. . call it a "curmudgeon effect" on my part. The 2nd engine had been upgraded to 110 status as well. I didn't ask for it, really didn't expect it, and am certainly pleased that Keith decided to do it.

There are companies out there that just go a bit farther to keep their customers happy, appreciative, and updated with their products. Of BME's competition, DA is the only one I am aware of that does automatic component upgrades when an engine is sent in for service (DA-150's all get the latest crank, this from Dave J himself.) And yes, I may wave the BME banner a little more fervently than most of Keiths customers. People complain that BME is slow on delivery, and once before promised a bit more than they could deliver, and that occasionally no one answers the telephone. I don't get a person every time I call BME. .many times I get the "machine". But, I know that Keith, and Steve (his builder/repair guy) are doing their best in a business that is unforgiving of mistakes, and where people always expect perfection and yell VERY loudly when they don't get it.

I just wanted these forums to know that I am a VERY satisfied customer of BME's products ( and several other companies, including DA, AI, and others) I'm also EXTREMELY happy that I will be able to fly FOUR BME powered planes at Joe Nall next week, as well as one powered by a 3W150TOC (my last BIG engine). Giant scale has now come full-circle for me. I once owned 3 of the olde BME 5.8's, then went BIG. . now I'm back to the BME 110's. I kind of wonder why I ever left.

Just sign me off as. . . Another happy, and satisfied customer of BME engines.

(And NO Keith has NO kidea that I'm writing this .. . )
Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: BME service

I have to agree with Kris. I have not needed any service at this point, but everytime I call or e-mail I ALWAYS get a prompt response. Keith has a nice woman that answers the phone now and hopefully I will never need any service, but I am sure it will be first rate if I do.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:08 AM
-acro-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: BME service

Keith is definely on my good guy list.I sent a 110 in for service and had it back in two weaks.