Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

GasZenoah 26 engine in plane causing rf glitching HELP!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

GasZenoah 26 engine in plane causing rf glitching HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GasZenoah 26 engine in plane causing rf glitching HELP!!!

It figures..You brand X guys have all the trick stuff...
Old 05-31-2004, 02:23 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

ok,
I tried the hitec supreme 8 channel dual conversion reciever, I had one on hand. And I put everything behind the servos. Routed the antenna to the vert stab. Twisted the battery terminals and bipassed the switch to the reciever. I got a marked 100'. That is with the antenna down and the engine at full throttle. I got about 168' or so with the engine off and antenna down. This is a brand new reciever too. I REALLY padded the battery and rec. too. SO....now what, is that a good test? Am I ok now or???? I am new to this gaser stuff. I truely appreciate you all for the help too. Lord willin I will be able to fly this wed. It is supposed to be nice.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:34 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Your about 40 ft shy of being OK. Now you are at about a 30% reduction.
I guess the only simple thing left is the Bosch cap.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Antique

With an aluminum adapter and a hose clamp
Old 05-31-2004, 07:37 PM
crashland 73

where do i get those ch ignitions?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Antique

www.ch-ignitions.com
Old 05-31-2004, 09:03 PM
crashland 73

I have some tubing that would do the job if i could make it fit right, what would be the difference? It is just a metal case right?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:49 PM
tkg

Won't hurt to try.
The Bosch cap also has a 1k resister in it.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 AM
obolel

Here is the solution for your glitch problems with G-26 : Sell it and buy a DA or similar. Don't even bother to modify it with "aftermarket" parts, you will end up wih an engine that would cost the same with a DA, but heavier and generate half power of DA, and worst of all, still having glitches.

I am sorry Zenoah fans, no offense, but I had this engine, read every thread and tried everything about glitch prevention in RCU to solve it problem and it just did not work out.

Let's face it : This engine has a very real problem in that matter and the MANUFACTURER has to do something about it, not US, it is them to try hard to make it work, not US. I am doing this hobby to relax and have a good time, not to get frustrated everytime I go to the field with my plane.

After tried everything and ran out of ideas, I sold it and get a DA-50. DA WORKS LIKE A CLOCK, INCREDIBLE POWER, NO GLITCHES -- PERIOD.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:35 AM
iwannafly

Don't give up. Just find a Bosch cap or equivelent and I believe you will have the solution. I know that there are some operating without them and that floats their boat. I have seen this happen several times and the cap solved it. Hang in there. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:30 AM
crashland 73

I will try that next then thanks. Will keep you informed.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 AM
crashland 73

Well get this,

I called horizon and they give me the line that 100' with antenna down is fine. My 8103 book says 60-75 ft and that 100' is fine. Tell me somthing do they really know what they are talking about? I dont mean to bash at all becouse they are nice people but this is my money were talkin about.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:55 AM
bentgear

Looks like you are 25 to 40 feet better than what the manual calls for.

obolel, replace a G26 with a DA 50, sounds like a serious power difference there.................

Ed M.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
crashland 73

yeah I dont think so either on the 50. I am stretchin it for the 26 so to speak. but I guess it makes it more interesting to push the envolope huh LOL!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
crashland 73

well i went out and done another test today and I could get 100' range test antenna collapsed. But I done this a time or two flawlessly. And I figured one more time and got maybee 30 some odd feet is all. I am going to just send off the engine I guess. I thought I had it but I guess not. I will keep everyone posted when the engine arrives. Lets hope it fixes it.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
crashland 73

I sent my engine off and it will be here in a few days. They put some sort of shield over the plug wire. The bearings were ok. We'll see how it does. I think I may go ahead and put a pcm on it just for saftey sake.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:11 PM
crashland 73

well, i got it back and it didnt help. I am trying to get my new GWS 8ch a try. I also am trying a 6v 5cell expert 2700mah. I have been told by a ton of older fellows that my 90+ ft range test antenna down is fine. With fm too. And have been told and saw this weekend that 95% of them if not 100% use fm not pcm and they looked like they had no glitch problems. Oh well, I guess I will see.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:11 AM
obolel

"Here is the solution for your glitch problems with G-26 : Sell it and buy a DA or similar. Don't even bother to modify it with "aftermarket" parts, you will end up wih an engine that would cost the same with a DA, but heavier and generate half power of DA, and worst of all, still having glitches.

I am sorry Zenoah fans, no offense, but I had this engine, read every thread and tried everything about glitch prevention in RCU to solve it problem and it just did not work out.

Let's face it : This engine has a very real problem in that matter and the MANUFACTURER has to do something about it, not US, it is them to try hard to make it work, not US. I am doing this hobby to relax and have a good time, not to get frustrated everytime I go to the field with my plane.

After tried everything and ran out of ideas, I sold it and get a DA-50. DA WORKS LIKE A CLOCK, INCREDIBLE POWER, NO GLITCHES -- PERIOD"

You will eventually come to that I think. This is a heavy, underpowered engine, althoguh it is a very reliable on. Just think how much you spent just to make the engine usable for your case, and add the price of a PCM receiver to that and you'll see it. DA is just an example, buy a ZDZ , BME or something similar, in my opinion they are better.

By the way, if you purchased a PCM receiver in the first place, you would have no problems at all. I don't care "you don't need PCM to fly gas" guys, you need PCM for two very basic reasons : 1. Better reception quality, 2. piece of mind.

As I said it is not you but the manufacturer has to do something to rectify the situation if they want to sell engines.

If you still want to try, get a MULTIPLEX IPD receiver from HITEC, it is as good as a PCM receiver, but it works with FM, I had three of those and worked pretty well.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:42 AM
crashland 73

If I can find someone to give me what I gave for it $280 I will sell it then buy a DA. But I doubt there will be any one.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:50 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend showed up this weekend with a new G-26 in an Extra and it is a good solid running engine with good power and no electrical issues. There is also another one at the field, that is the same.
I still think you may have a vibration issue of some sort. Maybe you should mount the engine in a test stand, and then while it is running, gradualy add electronic components in the proximity to see if you get glitches. Or see if someone has a known good G-23 or 26 that you could borrow to mount in your set-up to see if the problem goes away.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Antique

If you think a 26 that turns a 18-6 Mejzlik 9000 with 17 1/2 lbs pull is underpowered, show me one that's better..Funny, my transmitter is an OLD AM Proline converte to a MicroPro 8000....I fly ALL my planes with Zenoahs, NO shielded cap...NO interference..G23, G26,G38,G62,GT74...Only interference I ever had was from a bad servo..Replaced the servo, problem went away....Have you tried replacing your servos, one at a time ?
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM
crashland 73

I replaced one of them which was a hitec but now I dont remember which one it was, I believe it was the rudder, but it hasnt changed nothing.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:46 PM
bentgear

crashland, I thought you had already changed out everything one component at a time. That may be the only real way to find the problem.

obolel, I stand by my earlier remarks that if you have to go PCM to get range you are not doing anything except masking the problem. Find and fix the problem.

Ed M.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
crashland 73

I havent removed my throttle and elevator servos only my rudder seems to be giving me trouble. I tested again this evening, I got about 66ft which is in my owners manual range. It says I believe between 60 and 75 ft with antenna down. But it seems a bit low to me.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 PM
crashland 73

Ok, I finally got me one of those JR 770 Slimline PCM receivers today. Odd thing, when the plane is facing the left of me (engine pointing left rudder facing right) I got about 150 ft with antenna down on a range test. Now, when I faced the plane towards me I got almost or there abouts 200 ft or more. Why would that matter? I am happy to say that I feel more confident now and I have the failsafe set on idle and it works great. I am going to see if it will still work ok with the receiver in front of the servos instead of behind so's that I wont have to add any weight to balance it. Anyway, I thought I would post how things went. I tried a GWS 8 ch receiver that a feller told me would work but it didnt. I have this posted on other forums here so I appologize for any repeats.

Thanks for all the help. I will post a maiden flight when I get it in the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.