Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MVVS 1.60 Maintainance schedule

Old 07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 1.60 Maintainance schedule

preivers,,, thanks for the reassurance !!

as for the Mobil 1 2T oil is recommendation, I saw that, but I can't get it here, or just can't find it yet,,, the mechanics here at the dirt bike shop like the Bell Ray over the Amsoil, but I will look in to it more,,,, I could not start my motor today do to the rain,,,

thanks again !!

Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 08:38 PM
ukrconsul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preivers. Thanks for comprehensive answer. That’s all I wanted to know.

The one thing I don’t agree though is about 80 hours that “most of us will never log that amount of hours on an engineâ€. The gas engine is supposed to last years and years not only 80 hour / 20 min = 240 flights = half a year weekends flying.

Hopefully it will not happen. I think it is only one particular case when engine was forced beyond the limits and frankly speaking it could be a variety reasons why it failed. Thanks for warning again.

Igor.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy my MOBIL 1 mx2t at AUTOZONE- have you been there?
I run it now in my ZDZ/Roto and the overall clean non carbon non scratched appearance and good running have put it at the top of my list now -I use 32-1
Old 07-28-2004, 06:56 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A car also lasts years and years. It still needs maintenance does'nt it?
Give the engine what it needs, and it will serve you well for years.

You do a lot of flying. In our club no one (except glider pilots) log 20 minutes mean flight times, and use a single plane.
In our club of 35, mean flight time is between 7 and 10 minutes. After that, concentration suffers. Only one pilot logs as many as 10 flights on a single plane each week-end (10 minutes each). This guy flies that ST 2300 powered plane a lot, yet logs only 25 hours per annum, because the weather is not favorable every week end, and sometimes he does fly different planes . He has had to replace the piston ring after 20 gallons glow fuel. The ring was not expensive, nor is a MVVS connecting rod.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM
ukrconsul

Yep, I do. I am fortune enough to leave now in Singapore - 26-33C each day, all year around, but sometimes heavy rains.
I was once a happy owner of Chevrolet Cavalier (4 years ago). For 3 years and 60 000 km haven't replaced a thing. Only oil change and front brake pads. Even tiers didn't need to add air for first two years.
Amazing car.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

One of my customers flies about 4 hours a day, or till the batteries go down, every day, all year long...OS 71 Surpass on ignition..He has many hundreds of hours on the engine..We took it apart when the intake valve pulled up into the head..Almost no wear anywhere else.....His engines typically last way over 500 hours.....He putt putts around the sky at half throttle with a Sig Kadet...He has no other life...
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

that's a good life LOL

Jim
Old 07-28-2004, 10:21 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Ralph

That story warms my heart.

Sometimes I look forward to retirement.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
devdog

September 29, 2004

PREIVERS,

I know that you are the acknowledged expert on the MVVS gas engines and I am writing to you in that regard. I purchased an MVVS 1.60 gas engine in November of 2002 and have nothing but trouble with it from the start. I have read your suggestions and tried everything I know to make this engine run right but nothing works. I have had about five flights in a 1/4 scale Taylorcraft (that is now powered by a 1.60 O.S. glow engine). Three of those flights ended in "dead stick" landings and the engine at all times seemed to run unevenly.

The engine in that vintage appears to be a conversion from a glow engine and that provides a number of design problems from the start. The other thing that occurs to me is that perhaps my engine is an early version and maybe some updates or modifications have improved the design.

The one thing I know is that this engine is sitting in a box while the plane flies beautifully with another engine but I do not want to lose my investment in this engine and need your help and/or advice.

Can I send it to you or someone else to examine, repair or update and what does that cost? or is there some modification commonly available for this engine? Anyone in the U.S. who knows them or works on them?

Your help will be appreciated. A direct reply to me by e-mail at [email protected] would be the easiest way to communicate.

Wylie B. Douglass
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: 847-975-4695

Address: 14910 King Court, Green Oaks, Illinois 60048, USA
Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wylie,
Rest assured,
The engine is not a glow engine conversion, but a new design to provide a drop-in replacement for the 1.50 glow engine.
You do not specify the kind of problems you experience, apart from dead stick landings, so it is very hard to diagnose from here. In a gas engine, there are several things that need close attention before it will run right. Working with engines for so long often makes one forget the problems I had in the beginning of the learning curve .
I can check out the engine for you if you wish. I have the tools and test rigs to test the ignition out of the engine, and eventual spare parts to end that shameful boxed condition, so unworthy for a good engine.
Mail me directly at [email protected] . Be sure to have MVVS somewhere in the subject, so my mail filters can lift the message out of the spam heap.