Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

engine dies after take-off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dies after take-off

I've got an FPE 3.2 gas engine in a D&L 26% Edge 540. Engine is 1 year old and has run great. Suddenly (no changes in plane, set up or plumbing) the engine dies slowly after take off. There is no effect when changing throttle settings. It runs great on the ground. Tank has direct line to carb, vent line & filler line to fuel dot. The problem is not a bearing seal, since the seals are seperate from the bearings.
Checked the fuel clunk and it is fine and not too far back.
Am going to replace the fuel line to carb and the one in the tank to see if this helps.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: engine dies after take-off

Check the filter screen under pump cover (single screw) on the carb.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The static air pilot hole on the plane may be seeing the incoming air and causing the engine to lean out and die. Put a baffle to maintain atmospheric pressure around the hole or put a nipple on it and run the line into the fuselage.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Air forced into the vent hole makes it reacher, not leaner...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
ifshnee-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Flyer;
Don't know if this will help but I had same problem on my plane. I finally found out that one of the ignition batts was bad. It would read full on charger. It would read a little low on 1 amp load. Replaced batt & problem disapeared.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:31 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Let it run on the ground for 5 to 7 minutes. Most of the time we say it runs fine on the ground when we just fire it up, warm it up, and then take off. Find a holder, Let it run on the ground, like it runs in the air, A lot of times we are just letting the fuel in the carb out while idleing on the ground,and then at full throttle air appears in the lines and it starts to starve. See what happens then if it does start to bog down, run it with the gas lines exposed where you can watch them, if no problem there,check the head temp, check the battery, then if all else failes, replace the ignition module.
My $ .02 Good luck.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Geistware

Ralph, I thought when air hit the diaphram vent hole that it ran leaner because the pump didn't pump as strong. I didn't know it was the other way. Would or could it get rich enough to kill the engine. I know I have fiexd my Brison 2.4 that way. Once I stopped ram air from hitting the carb diaphram hole, my problems went away.
ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Air forced into the vent hole makes it reacher, not leaner...
Old 07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
ml3456

Make sure the clunk is connected. Gas will expand tygon .

Mark
Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The pump part of the carb is under the other cover..The diaphragm under the vent hole is operated by atmospheric pressure..The cavity under the diaphragm is filled by the pump, air flowing through the venturi sucks fuel from the cavity through all the holes, atmospheric pressure acting on the diaphragm lifts the inlet needle to let more fuel into the cavity.. too much air on it keeps the inlet needle from functioning correctly...I don't think it could get rich enough to kill the engine, it just acts funny....[8D]
Tygon is too stiff for a clunk and gets hard with age, that's why seamless molded neoprene works best...For ALL size gasser fuel lines..Yes, 150 cc also....
$.37 per foot in 100 foot rolls....Just got more....
Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 AM
ml3456

RCIGN1

Are you saying you recommend the black neoprene normally used to connect to the myffler for smoke connectins for your clunk?

Mark
Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

RCIGN1, Do you only sell the tubing in full rolls? I would just like 10 feet or so.

flierbk
Old 07-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Geistware

OK, I think I understand.
So it will get rich but not enough to shut off the engine, just make it run rough.

SO why when I ran added a nipple and ran it to the inside of the plane did it stop shutting off in flight?

The pump part of the carb is under the other cover..The diaphragm under the vent hole is operated by atmospheric pressure..The cavity under the diaphragm is filled by the pump, air flowing through the venturi sucks fuel from the cavity through all the holes, atmospheric pressure acting on the diaphragm lifts the inlet needle to let more fuel into the cavity.. too much air on it keeps the inlet needle from functioning correctly...I don't think it could get rich enough to kill the engine, it just acts funny....[8D]
Tygon is too stiff for a clunk and gets hard with age, that's why seamless molded neoprene works best...For ALL size gasser fuel lines..Yes, 150 cc also....
Old 07-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Flyer

AND THE ANSWER IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAIRLINE CUT IN THE TYGON LINE IN THE TANK, WHERE THE LINE MEETS THE BRASS TUBE.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP. PLANE RUNS GREAT NOW. UNFORTUNATELY IT WENT IN AFTER DOING A BLENDER AND THE WING PULLED AWAY FROM THE FUSE, BUT THAT'S A NEW ISSUE AND WILL POST IT UNDER GIANT PLANES.
THANKS AGAIN
FLYER
Old 07-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where would an individual purchase this molded seamless neoprene tubing? How long will this tubing last? Thanks for any info
Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Call Ralph at rcignitions.com I think he has 100 ft. or so and it lasts as good (well) as anything out there.
ORIGINAL: Bass1

Where would an individual purchase this molded seamless neoprene tubing? How long will this tubing last? Thanks for any info
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
JerKap

the engine dies slowly after take off (right after take off)

new plane , new tank.. motor as about 2 gallons on it.

Ran good the frist 6 or 7 flights.. now starts OK ,,, but as soon as it takes off and gets in the air the engine dies, not a quick cut off but a spudder..

The needles were set ,, but when this started,, it didn't appear to be running as good as before on the ground... not bad just seemed different..

I didn't find anything wrong with fuel line the tank,,, wish i would have..

what do you think? Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ml3456-RCU

RCIGN1

Are you saying you recommend the black neoprene normally used to connect to the myffler for smoke connectins for your clunk?

Mark
That same black neoprene used for chainsaw fuel tanks works good also. Herby 1 (Ralph)...it is sure good to see you back. I want some neoprene line with that next order. Capt,n
Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hays sells the best neoprene tubing I have ever found. It is much higher quality than the stuff Dubro, and all the local small engine shops sell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK824&P=ML
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geistware

OK, I think I understand.
So it will get rich but not enough to shut off the engine, just make it run rough.

SO why when I ran added a nipple and ran it to the inside of the plane did it stop shutting off in flight?

IDEA!! Now for anyone wanting to see what happens on this rich or lean condition...Take a long piece of fuel tubing and slip it on the fitting you soldered to the carb plate. With engine running blow into end of extended line...see waht happens! Or create a vacume...see what happens! seems like a simple test! Capt,n