Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Super Tigre 3250 gas spark ignition conversion

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Super Tigre 3250 gas spark ignition conversion

Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre 3250 gas spark ignition conversion

I've had a ST 3250 for some time and have ran it both on methanol/glow and also glow/spark ignition. Recently I bought a CH Walbro carb gas conversion and am waiting for the Synchrospark module before running it. I understand that because of the connecting rod being bushed it is still required to keep the oil content around 10%. Anyone have experience running this combo? Just curious to know if there are users out there that have managed to run this setup reliably long term... Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 PM
wvarn1957

Default RE: Super Tigre 3250 gas spark ignition conversion

I have a ST 3000 with the CH syncrospark and walbro carb. I made the conversion about 4 years ago and it is still running strong. I use a 10% Klotz mix with no problems.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Daryl Martel

Thanks for the reply WW. After posting this query I stumbled across a similar thread in the conversion forum in which RCign had responded stating that the CH S.T. conversion usually worked well. I am very pleased to hear that it can be a viable option. I really appreciate the feedback - my S.T. 3250 is in very good shape and it would be a shame to ruin it. Cheers
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Well I think its a good idea
Any way if you have the engine and don't mind 10% oil, this conversion fills a certain need.
BUT if you going to buy and convert new engine maybe you should look around at some purpose built little gassers.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Daryl Martel

Thanks TKG - sure is nice to get straight talk direct from guys like yourself and Ralph (RCign). I've been running your CH ignition with the Synchrospark module on my G-62 and I really like it - sure makes for easier starting not having it "kick" early before TDC. Before, when running my ST 3250 CH spark unit on glow, I had made a mechanical spark advance setup linked to the carb throttle arm . Worked excellent too. With the Walbro carb now mounted on the 3250 I find it difficult to try to duplicate that linkage setup which is why I ordered the Synchrospark module. Was it you I was talking to on the phone when I placed my order recently?

Too bad you guys no longer have the needle bearing connecting rod available for the big S.T.s. That would be the icing on the cake! I sure like not having to clean off all that oil residue off my G-62 gasser after a days flying - something to be said for running Amsoil at 80-1. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for oil on this S.T., but you can be sure it'll be 10% content!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

With a Walbro carb you tap the end of the butteryfly shaft and use a 90deg Du-Bro bellcrank to move the timing wheel.
The needle rods were a bad deal the crank pins on a ST are not hard enough to run needles on and failed in 3-5 hours.
All of the answers for this involved to much machine work.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Gabrielsande

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there here is a video of my ST 3250 gas conversion, used a Walbro carb,and an autoadvance CDI ignition system, on the bench it runs smooth and it drops 6400 revs with a menz 18-10, I should use a 18-8 as with glow the power pick is 7,700 with a 18-8 so I think is not bad for a conversion, I made a ring to mount the sensor, and a flange to fix the carburattor, Im using amsoil dominator at 25/30-1, temperature at full throttle for a couple of minutes goes around 280F transition is good so let see how it flyes! and how long it last! [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYmPsxzoVc[/link]
Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks and sounds good
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Gabrielsande

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9543700
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Gabrielsande

sorry guys I just bought a new saito fg30 to cure this problem (found it on ebay still on the box bagged of someone who gave up to a big project paid under$500 , so the st3250 converted+the cmpro edge+ a crrc pro 26i+an other cmpro edge 540 frame will be on ebay soon to pay for this one ,funny enough the petrol saito don't use needle bearings on the conrod, could someone explain this to me!! the other problem Im facing with this engine is because the carb is on the back ,[link]http://www.macgregor.co.uk/saito/fg30.htm[/link] the engine will be way foward, so two choices using a normal plastic mount, so I can slide the engine back and cut a hole for the carburator,in the firewall, doing this I cant use the nice supplied alloy mount which they say it helps cooling, or cut the firewall completly and re glue it an inch 1/2 back, I migh post few pictures so You can help me to decide .

Cheers

Luis
Old 11-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Flier101
My Feedback: (2)

Does any one Have Lamberts RC mailing address? I have been in email contact with him. They are still in business. He is very slow returning messages. I need your help
Old 11-18-2016, 12:34 PM
ng8264723

[email protected]