Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Lets see some specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 12:28 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets see some specs

How about a couple of you guys giving some specs on your gas engines.
cc.
weight
RPM/Prop
etc. etc.

mgalvin:
I would like to know a bit more about the Tarus 2.6, I think I am about ready to get one.

bpryor:
Lets hear it, I know you give good reports.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:36 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I have a BME 44 in my Giles 202
<------ Avatar

All up weight with IGN is just over 3lbs.
Mejlik 20 X 10
Not sure on the RPM's.
Its been a great engine so far. Still breaking it in. I have about 3 gallons through it.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:04 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Default motor specs

I'm running a Zenoah G-62 on a Giant Stinger. It's broke in now and turning a Mejlik 22x10 prop at 7700 rpms. It weighs 5 lb. with the B&B cup mount,side exhaust, and throttle bell crank. No spring starter. 42 hrs run time and no dead sticks. How's that for reliabiltiy.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:47 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Specifications

What specific info are you interested in on the Taurus 2.6???

I can offer a simple observation from my own personal perspective. I have owned and used nearly all of the small gasser's available... My personal favorite is Taurus Engines. I presently own four.

The Taurus Engines are nearly vibration free, transition like none other, very powerful, idle smoothly and are exceptionaly crafted engine's. These engines are unique, in that they use a crank assembly, much like a 3W or DA engine. Double cheek, fully counter-balanced forged crankshaft fully supporting the rod journal, supported at either end of the crankshaft by single-row pre-loaded bearings... Other's are using cantilever crankshaft assemblies, these resemble a crank you might recognize in an OS Engines 2-stroke...

The Taurus 2.6 installed on my DPM Extra 330L turns a Mejzlik 20/10 at 8200rpm on the Pitts Style exhaust...

Weights listed below are actual engine and accessory weight's as measured with a digital scale.

=================================

The ZDZ-40 is 3.2lbs., Exhaust 7.5 ozs., 3.0 ozs for mounts...

Total : 3lbs.-13.7 ozs.

=================================

Moki 2.1 at 3lbs.-5.12 ozs. with radial mount
mounting bolts and hardware 3ozs.
Pitts type exhaust 9.5 ozs.

Total: 4lbs.-1.62ozs.

==================================

Taurus Engines 2.6 at 3lbs.-1oz.
Down tube exhaust 7ozs.
ignition at 3.7 ozs.
spark plug 1.4ozs.
CNC radial engine mount 2oz.

Total: 3lbs.-15.1ozs..

FPE 2.4: 3lb. 3.5ozs. with mount, down tube and ignition.

BME 44: 3lb. 6ozs. with mount, down tube and ignition.

Brison 3.2:
3.2 engine, prop nut and washer 3lbs.-2.4ozs.
stock backplate engine mount, bolts and washers 2.8ozs.
stock aluminum down tube exhasut deflector 7ozs.
stock C/H Ignition 4.4ozs.
Champion sparkplug 1.4ozs.

Total weight is 4lbs.-2ozs.

Add to that the battery you choose to use a 4-cell
1100mah Sanyo NiCad's = 4.8ozs. or
6 volt 800mah Duralites with regulator is 2ozs.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:14 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default The Taurus site......

Micheal, do you have website for the Taurus engines. I have a friend that is looking for something right along those lines. This is LordVader99 here, I met you down here in Fresno a few months ago. I've been looking for a place to at least use some of my real name here.
Anyways, I like what you have to say about the taurus line. Thanks......Dale

PS Might you have the site for the FPengines too? Thanks
Appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:13 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Mike,
Thanks, I lost the info on the Taurus, This is what I needed. I knew if anyone would know, it would be you.

DGrant:

http://www.taurus-engines.net/Default.htm
http://www.fpengines.com/

Nogyro:
Yes the G-62 is a very reliable engine, it just needs to go on a diet. How do you like the Stinger with the G-62.

wgeffon:
I hear a lot of good stuff about the BME, but this time around I am pretty sure I am going to go with Tauraus.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:45 PM
mglavin

Default Taurus engines

Dale,

As noted Jemo has provided the web address's you were looking for.

The Taurus Engines site is a little anemic, it is the original site they put a few years ago and is in need of an update. I have some pictures of the 2.6 at my site. The current price for 2.6 is $529.95. Taurus iwill be shut-down for two weeks starting today for eguipment and shop upgrades, per the owners... Presently I understand there is a backlog on the 2.6 engines, approximatwly 3 weeks from date of order.

http://mglavin.com/taurusengine.html

Craig has suggested a number of you Fresno guys are comeing to Sacramento for our New Years Day gathering. Will you be one of the travelers??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7_22.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	166  
Old 12-03-2001, 06:30 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Taurus

Hi jemo,

I can't add much unique info to what Michael has already posted. He's the one that talked me into my first Taurus(2.6) and I have to say that I'm not disappointed.

Here's what I've found. I can validate what Michael says about the quality, smoothness and power. I too have owned many gas engines(though not nearly as many as Michael, but I don't know if that is possible), and I have to say the Taurus is really impressive.

Michael also mentions the throttle response. You don't hear this being discussed much, but it is very important, especially for 3D(I'm a novice 3Der, but it still makes a difference). From off idle through the complete throttle range, the throttle response is instantaneous. This can be a plane saver in many situations.

The reliable idle from brand new is also something that impressed me. I was able to get a reliable idle down to 1550 RPM when brand new, though I ran it at 1800 RPM to be safe. The manufacturer claims it will idle down to 1200 RPM when broken in.

I almost forgot to mention how easily it starts too. So far, when cold, it takes about 5 flips with the choke on and two with the choke off. When warm, it starts in one or two flips.

The power numbers are equally impressive for this size motor. The numbers I'm listing below are with only 30 minutes on the motor. Even though it is not even close to being broken in, these numbers are on par with the Brison 3.2 and ZDZ40 with tuned pipe numbers as reported by Michael, RCFaq and Dick Hanson.

Zinger Pro
20X10 - 7340
22X8 - 7140
22X10 - 6480

Menz Ultra
21X12 - 6440

Bill
Old 12-03-2001, 06:57 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Default Giant Stinger w/G-62

Nogyro:
Yes the G-62 is a very reliable engine, it just needs to go on a diet. How do you like the Stinger with the G-62.

JEMO,

Yes the G-62 could loose a little weight, but it is trouble free. The GS/G-62 is a good combo. Mine came in at 19 lb. It is my first big plane and it's very forgiving. I've yet to make it stall out. It will hover at 1/2 throttle or so. Knife edge is so so, and does real good snaps. It's really like a big fun fly the way I fly it. It's not designed for high speed stuff anyways. I've done lots of mods to it to get it to hold up. No way with this kit stay together very long if built per instructions. It slows down nice for landings, and has plenty of ground clearance for a 22x10 prop.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:49 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default info

I read the "numbers quoted" by various users -then sometimes wonder how anyone new to this stuff,can make heads or tails of the apparant wide differences.
One guy quotes 8000 plus on a 50 size engine with a tiny prop, another quotes on a smaller engine using a big prop!
Weights are quoted differently ,etc..
Some guys think one must use a noisy exhaust spigot as a "standard" -inferring that a tuned or quiet can is cheating or misleading.
Weights for motormounts are quoted - when no motormount is used ((woops!).
Here is something else to add to the confusion.
In testing various tuned cans -and quiet only cans-I can get an engine to really pull (7600 on 20x10 Zinger Pro)but fall flat on it's face with the 24x10 (not a misprint)Mejzlic--5200 rpm
But if I switch to a different type can -I can get 5900 on the same prop!
On the J&A mufflers I get typically (and that is how you really have to look at it) 6200-plus or minus a hundred, on a 22x10 Zinger Pro.
That seems about the norm with others using similar engines
Going back to a can -set for the load range desired - I get close to 7000 on MenzS 22x8 -which is a pretty hefty load.
This is also a very quiet setup.
My own ratings for engines is based on the total weight of the package (engine/exhaust)and how well it will slug really big props -as that is the most quiet setup.
A new entry on the scene is the ZDZ rear exhaust engine - this engine does not require any mount -and the exhaust can run straight back under the wing on some designs - directly into a quiet can.
I scratch design most of my personal models so this very light package will be my selection for a 11 lb FAI legal design.
It will be close on weight - but possible .
We have tried 1.4 gasoline engines - specifically, the RCS1.40 on a can and it works great - but total weight of the plane must be under 9 lbs to get truly competitive performance.
Hope this confuses everyone ---
Old 12-17-2001, 12:15 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default re: info

Hi Dick,

Dick wrote:
=================
I read the "numbers quoted" by various users -then sometimes wonder how anyone new to this stuff,can make heads or tails of the apparant wide differences.
One guy quotes 8000 plus on a 50 size engine with a tiny prop, another quotes on a smaller engine using a big prop!
==================

....and then there's the guy that posts great RPM numbers but doesn't even say what engine they're for.

Sorry Dick, I just couldn't resist.

I was definitely guilty above of not stating the muffler on my Taurus is a pitts-style, similar, if not made by, J&A. Also, the numbers were achieved on a brand new motor, at 300' altitude, and about 55 degrees.

Bill
Old 12-17-2001, 01:08 AM
ricfly52

Hey this thread has really given me a lot of info.

So, mglavin, what is that plane you have the 2.6 Taurus mounted in?

I want to put a Taurus in a 25% Edge 540.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:53 AM
mglavin

Default Engine specifications

Dick,

A Taurus 2.6/42cc engine is not a "50 class engine", nor is a 20/10 Mejzlik a tiny prop... It is true this engine performs with the 50 class engine's but to be fair it is some what smaller. The Taurus 2.6 will pull bigger props quite well, in fact better than all others I have tried.

I like to burn the Mejzlik 20/10 at high rpm for the spool up performance it provides for 3D work... The larger props tend to pogo-stick the model or maybe its like stretching a rubber band... I have very smooth transition and a very articulate throttle curve [Futaba 9ZWCII]. I don't play much with the low end props and I may find one that would work well at a lower rpm, going to have to try. I have used a 22/8, 21/10, 20/10 Menz S props with this engine plane combo and find I get the best slingshot out of a hover with the high revving 20/10 Mejzlik prop, while being able to make small incremental continuos throttle changes without the pogo-stick routine...

I'm lost on your reference to the smaller engine with a bigger prop??? Which one are you describing?

As far as the weights I have qouted they are actual as derived from having owned, weighed and operated every engine I mention...

What about the use of engine mounts for a ZDZ???

Not all airframe's are built with the required engine offset to the spinner backplate. Therefore we find the need to do one of the following:

1] Build the plane around the ZDZ 40, and exhaust system utilized.
2] Rebuild the motor box to the correct offset.
3] Fabricate and install a spacer, doughnut of wood or what have you to move the engine forward.
4] Fabricate some engine mounts/spacers out of wood dowel or aluminum round stock complete with four bolts, washers and nut sets...

All of the above is of minimal effort, but is needed. No matter what you do, additional weight above and beyond the bare weight of the engine will be realized in an effort to mount the engine, end of story...

It should be noted that with other engines many of the same considerations maybe required to mount the specific engine...

=============================================
Quoted from Dicks post:

Going back to a can -set for the load range desired - I get close to 7000 on MenzS 22x8 -which is a pretty hefty load. This is also a very quiet setup.
=============================================

Exceptional performance from a 40cc engine and queit to boot...

I also agree those down tube exhaust deflectors/noise-makers are useless in todays quiet world... Making our models queiter is without a doubt in our near future. The technology is readily availbale to implement the tuned mufflers/cans into our airframes.

I am collecting some materials for the testing of tuned mufflers with my Taurus Engines. I am hopeful there is acompromise between increased power and quieter operation.

ricfly52:

While commend you're performance minded spirit, I do not recommend you try to install a Taurus in the 25% Edge, two words "NO WAY". Yep you could do it. I wouldn't... Weight, balance and flight performance will suffer, significantly...

Use a RCS 1.4, Saito 180, YS140, OS 160FX and have fun... Highly proven combinmations wel within the design of the airframe...
Old 12-17-2001, 03:53 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe I mentioned Taurus-or any brand-
but I have seen many postings on 50 size engine touting the small props and high rpm.
Thes setups are frankly noisy-
I do judge good aerobatic engines by their raw torque .
I don't spend much time on 3D stuff.
Just not my cup of tea -for the most part.
The .46 powered Diablotins are kinda fun -and dead silent with Ed's CF pipes.
I put one togather for a friend and another friend has one. I have flown em .
I tried to write my comments so as not to pick out particular engines.
Some new guys actually believe a 100 rpm here and there is an exact, repeatable condition.
I did tach one of my ZDZ40's (sold it) with a Mejzlic 24x10 at 5900 rpm-since you asked tho.
I was surprised -but it did it repeatably.
more typical is a 20x10 Menz's -or Zinger Pro-in the mid 7000 range.
The motor mount thing ?
This is quite simple -at least none of the guys I know have considered it a task. I have added no parts on most planes -just shifted mounting plate forward . The little drilled 1/2 " dowels are only a few grams -when I use that approach.
Quiet exhausts are something I started with -and I really would not be comfortable with a loud model.
I know some guys love the noise - I don't.
I would also get a ration of crap from my friends.
My FAI project is being done to see if I can make a quiet, very strong performing gasoline model suitable for FAI-and the little ZDZ Rear Exhaust loos like the best candidate.
It will fit into a very small space -with no protruding exhaust or carb.
If you have a better suggestion -please let me know.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: Lets see some specs

oh I just got this little twin

<-------- Desert Aircraft 150

Originally posted by jemo
How about a couple of you guys giving some specs on your gas engines.
cc.
weight
RPM/Prop
etc. etc.

mgalvin:
I would like to know a bit more about the Tarus 2.6, I think I am about ready to get one.

bpryor:
Lets hear it, I know you give good reports.