Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Help - Zenoah G-62 won't run

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - Zenoah G-62 won't run

Its a new engine. I have been out three times trying to get it to run. In between tries, I have read most of the posts about the G-62 and followed up on them. During the most recent outing we could get the engine to pop when choked, then pop a few times with the choke open. Fairly consistent operation. However the engine doesn't run. Just pop and that's it.

Spark plug gap checked, magnet/coil gap set, using brown insulator and added washers so screws do not bottom out. spark is a good blue color, starting technique seems to be OK, fuel tank feed is working, gas/oil mixture about 30 to 1.

Any suggestions or ideas of what is wrong?

I am getting more and more hesitant about putting my new Mustang in the air with this particular engine.

Brian
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help - Zenoah G-62 won't run

I just looked at 3 of the brown carb insulators, I'm suprised they work at all...The passageway on the top side of the block that goes between the pulse hole in the block and the pulse hole in the carb is so close to the edge that any misalignment will cause the pulse to leak out and the carb can't pump fuel...Try putting the stock block back on and it will probably start and keep running...Horizon has come out with a new style block for the G23 and G26 engines, maybe the G62 will be next...If you use the stock block you'll have to come up with some linkage for the throttle, it came with the engines before they changed to the brown block.....
It will draw fuel when choked whether the pulse hole works or not, it just won't pump on its own without the choke..
Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: During the most recent outing we could get the engine to pop when choked, then pop a few times with the choke open. Fairly consistent operation. However the engine doesn't run. Just pop and that's it.
Try the prop in the 11:00 postion when it reaches compression. If it's too far clockwise it just pops and doesn't run. Also, flip it fast with a follow-through.

Jim
Old 09-03-2004, 03:33 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Good news!! A club member with gasser experienced helped me start the engine. It took him about 30 seconds to prime it and 3 flips. Absolutely no problem. His priming sequence is a little different from the manual, but it sure worked. Engine runs and idles just fine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Brian
Old 09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian I heard that you have flown the big mustang. WHat are the results and how long did it take for you knees to quit knocking??

don//