Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Two lines or three?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Thomas Williams
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two lines or three

I use a filter on my flight box and I don't have any problems with trash in the tank or engine.I still use the dubro refueler and have'nt seen the need for a felt clunk.I use a two line set-up and have no problems.Occasionally I do remove the carb and check for trash as a part of my routine mantinence.Before installing the inline filter on my flight box I would occasionally find trash in the carb screen.Since I installed the filter I have'nt had that problem anymore.Defueling is'nt a problem with this set-up.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:29 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default I vote for two line

Like many have said, what you're used to is what you use. I've used 2 line forever and can't imagine any reason to use three...especially on a gas motor with diaphram carb. The complexity of installation and fooling with a three line system just doesn't seem worth the stated benefits. I install in the same manner as several have described with "T" and fuel dot. I also only use an inline filter in the fuel can and none on the plane. I haven't had any problems with this system.

BTW, I plug the vent line when transporting to keep the smell virtually nil in my vehicle, even though I'm using a pickup these days and it really doesn't matter. The habit comes from the days when I used to transport in my wife's SUV, and risked extreme pain and suffering if there was ANY smell left in the car.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Doug bracey

Default RE: Two lines or three?

If you check out Bennett builts web site they offer Fuel tanks that don't require any brass tubing at all.
You just have one line for the clunk to the carb and one overflow fitting (no clunk) and one fitting for filling with just a short piece of fuel line to the bottom of the tank cut at a 45degree to clear the bottom of the tank.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: two lines or three

I have used the two line system for years on glow but have come to the conclusion that a 3 line is better for gas, The reason is with a two line and T system every time you fuel your plane you lose your prime in the fuel line and have to crank on the engine a little longer now to get the fuel back in the line, with glow that was no problem because most of the time you could just put your finger over the carb and draw it back pretty easy but with gas engines most of the time that is hard to do.

With a 3 line system you do not lose your prime in the fuel lines when you refuel.

Milton
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: two lines or three

Not one of you guys advised him not to use a Sullivan fuel stopper, they do break down and clog up everything, only use the brown Dubro stopper with the raised 0 on its outside face, I use paper clip wire to form barbs on the brass tubing, and a three line system to ensure my fuel is filtered twice.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34930.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1064597