Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Time to BREAK ER IN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Arrow IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to BREAK ER IN!

Gents,
I'd like to hear your thoughts on your break-in preferences, personally I usually run conventional oil 32:1, use the smallest prop in the engine's range, get her running on the ground just to make sure she works and blast off, but always ready for the ole deadstick! I've heard a few different stories lately like: "If you're going to run synthetic then start with synthetic…” OR “I run the biggest prop the engine calls for, because it will keep the RPM’s low” OR “Run conventional oil rich for the first 2-4 gallons” blah blah blah, so what’s the deal? DLE says run their equipment at 32:1 and that’s it, DA says run the same then go to synthetic after break-in. What say you?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Time to BREAK ER IN!

If there's anyone out there running more engines, successfully, than Antique, BCCHI, TKG, Jody, Milton, or I do you should listen to them. If they own less than 20 engines, or been flying gassers exclusively and regularly less than 10 years their advice might be considered suspect.

One oil, a good mineral or synthetic, 32-1 for 5 gallons or so, normal size prop, tuned before the first flight for performance, no hovering for a gallon or two, and go fly. Change ratios using the same oil later if you desire, but there's no reason to. Blah, blah, blah....
Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you have been listening to me, lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Arrow IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If there's anyone out there running more engines, successfully, than Antique, BCCHI, TKG, Jody, Milton, or I do you should listen to them. If they own less than 20 engines, or been flying gassers exclusively and regularly less than 10 years their advice might be considered suspect.

One oil, a good mineral or synthetic, 32-1 for 5 gallons or so, normal size prop, tuned before the first flight for performance, no hovering for a gallon or two, and go fly. Change ratios using the same oil later if you desire, but there's no reason to. Blah, blah, blah....
So basically, just keep doing what I've been doing, good deal, thanks!