Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 35

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 09:05 PM
jimbrock
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadra 35

I have an old model Q35 that I bought at a club auction ten years ago. It apparently had never been run, and may have been part of a Byron package.

I haven't tried to start it; I wonder if the diaphragm in the carburetor needs to be replaced first. If it is worth the time and effort.

Anybody have an idea how much it would be worth if I decide to sell it instead?

Jim
Old 09-25-2002, 12:38 AM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quadra 35

Well ,a brand new quadra (US engines) 35 can be had new ,warrantied,and with muffler and spring starter for about $215 from tower hobbies with all discounts applied ,so you can guage the resale price of yours from that.the carb diaphragms do dry out but they are cheap and easy to replace......
Old 09-25-2002, 01:57 AM
jimbrock

Default Quadra 35

Thanks, Kevin. I would guess that the new Quadras are a good bit better than the old ones, too. Jim
Old 09-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default Q35

Don't count on it..The old Q35s from Klaus in Canada are superior to the newer ones in the quality of the castings and even though the old ones have points they start and run WELL....
Old 09-25-2002, 10:49 AM
kevin mcgrath

Default Quadra 35

His hands on experience is greater than mine,but my impression of the original Quadra quality vs todays examples is the same as RCIGN.The very first Quadras,pre-Klaus,came from a chain saw,converted in British Columbia,Canada,and exported to the US.Thing is they have been around in one form or another for > 30 years,so what life experience yours has had is impossible to tell short of a tear down and inspection.......if you are going to use yours in a sport application why not run it and see?A good one is reliable and easy starting ,just dont expect it to perform with a modern made for purpose engine.......
Old 09-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default Q 35

My neighbor gave me a 27 year old chain saw, one of the originals..The only difference is the spark plug on the saw came out the front..The wire to the coil is only 2 inches long.Excellent quality, and still runs like new....
Old 09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chainsaw engine

RCIGN: Just wondering. Did you leave it as a chainsaw or is it now ready for placing in a airplane? Best regards Captinjohn
Old 09-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Danny Ray-RCU

Default Quadra 35

I have a old Quadra 35 that I gave $150 for on ebay and it is great.I had it on a ultra stick and a GP 202 giles and they both flew great. It starts very easy and turns a standard zinger 18x6 7000 rpms! which is very good for a 35cc gas engine and it idles sooo slow you can almost count the rpms and you don't need a ignition battery.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quadra 35

Quadras are like fine wine, the older it gets the better it gets.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:22 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Quadra 35

Hi Jim,

I was the first Quadra dealer in the US, starting back in 1976, and those engines were exceptionally good - much better than todays engines. One of the reasons is that the chromed cylinder bore was of much better quality, as was the quality control of the castings. You can look on the bottom of the crankcase, and inside of a small circle, you will see a number, like 78. That is the date of the engine. If your engine is new - like you said it might be - you probably have good reason to keep it. One thing is for sure - if you don't crash it - you won't live long enough to wear it out.