Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Muffler info

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 AM
NIpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler info

I have a Kange laser with G62 and Bisson inverted muffer. My question being new to gas is, do you need some type of gasket between the muffler and engine? I don't remember receiving any type of gasket with the Bisson muffer. I looked on the Zenoah manual and it shows a gasket on their stock can muffler. I seem to have misplaced this also. GEEZ. One person suggested some red RTV on the faces of the exhaust port and flange. It does have to be removable though to get my cowl off. I guess my bottom line question is, do I need a gasket to avoid some type of problem? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Rotaryphile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Muffler info

Gaskets between the engine and the muffler or header can be a pain in the butt. If the mating surfaces are smooth and flat, I like to omit the gasket, and use plain old clear silicon seal, coating each surface, then allowing it to firm up some before refitting the muffler or header. Composition gaskets tend to have a short life, so if a gasket seems to be necessary to accomodate poor surfaces, I would opt for soft aluminum or copper, again with silicon seal to prevent leakage.