Carb. lever arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carb. lever arms

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_
The engine is an MVVS 1.60 redhead and the odd looking plastic choke arm and the metal throttle arm appear to be pressed on their respective shafts.
My questions are:
1. Is that method of attachment secure enough for safe long term model flying?
2. Why are some people replacing the arms and how do you remove the original arms?
3. Does anyone leave those battery draining strong springs attached to the arms?
4. Since the engine manufacturer knows the engine will be used in models and not chain saws, why don't they ship them with lever arms for model use like glow engines?
So the question was about MVVS but rather general issue as the spring is common for most gassers.
If It was me, who was confused - I apologize. I tried to help.

RysiuM
Old 05-10-2005, 08:39 PM
gearup

Original Quote: Jemo
"The clear line is from the diaphragm plate and is run back into the fuse."

I have been having recurring problems with rough running at partial throttle, and even a few quits on retarding throttle while at cruise. (4.2 side intake ported Sachs with carb intake close to cowl opening, Edge 540 30%) I have tried intake extension, mixture changes, timing, etc. It runs great on the ground, is not bothered by bumps, attitude, etc., but pops, backfires, & misses at low to 1/2 throttle in flight. Is this caused by turbulence over the diaphragm cover's sensor hole? Remove cover, install connector, run air tube to undisturbed air?

Please help if you have similar experience.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
gearup

BTW- In reply to inquiry Mr G- I'm using a similar setup as shown on the 3w-75, in that I'm running a smoke line to a pitts-style muff. Mine is hooked to a B&B system run from crankcase pressure pulses and a solenoid controlled output valve. Makes great smoke at half or higher throttle. Have my smoke channel set to cut off when the throttle goes below half. Works great.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 PM
gearup

Old 05-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Is this caused by turbulence over the diaphragm cover's sensor hole? Remove cover, install connector, run air tube to undisturbed air?
Quite possibly. I have had it help but may not be the cure all. Another way to do it is to use a small baffle in front of it.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
gearup

I removed the diaphragm cover, soldered up the original hole, soldered an old servo grommet onto the top of the cover, and drilled it out through the cover. With a foot of line into the main fuse area behind the firewall, it seems smoother on the ground. Will try to do a test flight or two this afternoon to see if it fixed anything. Thanks for the input.