Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Carb mixture screw clamp

Old 04-13-2019, 05:44 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carb mixture screw clamp

My DLE35RA mixture screw settings are changing in flight due to vibration. On another model bought secondhand, it has a small clamp that fits on to both mixture screws, that prevents any movement.
Does anyone know where I can get them from?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have never seen a needle clamp. One major American engine mfgr. (that is still very much in business) use to apply a tiny bit of blue loctite to the needle threads of their carbs. When cured, the needles were turned to break the lock loose and the loctite just served to tighten the threads a bit and resist free turning. This was applied well up on the threads well away from the needle end so that no residue could foul the carb jets. I'm not recommending this but just stating what I have seen done in the past. I don't know if this company is still doing this or not because I haven't bought one of their engines in a few years.

A greater issue might be the vibration you speak of! Severe vibration over time will do damage to the airframe and engine. Have you checked the prop and spinner balance? Prop shaft running true? Weak firewall or mounts? Testing the engine on an airframe with the wings removed can also exhibit high vibration. Over time, vibration can also damage the plug cap making it hard to keep in place and the silicone insulator inside can break down creating an engine miss or worse. What size prop are you running? A too small prop running above a normal RPM can also cause excessive vibration.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Jim Cattanach

It is not abnormal vibration. Prop & spinner are balanced & the recommended prop (18x10) is in use. It has only recently started to have problems & was perfectly OK up to now.
I will take a photo of the clamp on my other model.
I may end up making one.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 PM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Loop a short piece of fuel tubing over the ends of each screw, that should stop them moving in flight
Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 AM
Jim Cattanach

Originally Posted by rfbenn
Loop a short piece of fuel tubing over the ends of each screw, that should stop them moving in flight
Thanks. I will try that.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I agree that under no circumstances would I accept needles vibrating out as normal. Fix the actual problem and not the symptom.