Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need muffler advice!

Old 01-01-2002, 04:05 AM
Radman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need muffler advice!

I have a ZDZ-60 in the R/C America 80" cap. I was running a bisson pitts style smoke muffler. I was just doing some normal mainteance and noticed my muffler was cracked all around the mounting pad that contacts the eng. Who make a decent pitts style smoke muffler for this eng. I would prefer one where the mounting bolts are exposed so i can safety wire them from coming loose as i assume that is why my old muffler cracked. Any info out there?
Radman
Old 01-05-2002, 06:28 PM
thompsrc

Default Need muffler advice!

I just got a ZDZ60 and was wondering how you setup the throttle and choke.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:41 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default muffler

Bisson mufflers are notorious for cracking from vibration. Try either a J&A or a Supersonic exhaust pitts muffler. No pitts muffler has exposed bolts, so they are not easy to safety wire. You will have to fabricate your own standoff and order longer bolts. Also, most of these mufflers include a bolt on the can so that you can use a metal strap to attach to the engine mount - holds down the vibration of the muffler.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:58 AM
Radman

Default zdz set up

I used the arms that came with the eng. for the throttle. The only change i did was to cut it and lenghten it 1/2". I just cut it and mig welded in a piece of 1/8" steel rod.
As for the choke. My eng is inverted in the cap so the choke arm and needles point straight up. For the choke i took a wheel collar that slipped over the choke shaft. To the wheel collar i silver soldered a 4-40 allen bolt cut to be just be under the cowl. I removed the needle valves and also silver soldered 4-40 cap screws to them. All you have is 3 small holes in the top of your cowl.(1/16")I just use a allen wrench to open and close the choke. you can also set the needles this way without tearing everything apart.
My throttle servo is mounted near the rear of the fuse. just under where the wing bolts on. I used ny-rod for the connection. The reason for lengthing the throttle arm was to make the throttle more linear. I set the servo up so when the throttle is fully closed the servo arm points almost straight ahead. As you move the throtle open with the servo it has to move a fair amount before the eng gains a whole lot of rpm. I wouldn't have to do this if i had expo on my throttle channel. This is just the poor mans way of doing it.
My cap weighs 17lbs. I have a Tme II smoke system with a 16oz tank and also run a 16 0z fuel tank. I also run 3 nimh battery packs. It has hi-teck 5645 digital servos on everything. pull pull on the rudder. I run a Bolly 24-10 wide blade.
This eng is a monster!! you will love it!! Just break it in slow and easy with standard 2 stroke oil. My cap can go right out of sight vertical just after take off. You are not going to believe the power it has. Let me know how you like the engine.