Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brison 6.4 prop selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:10 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brison 6.4 prop selection

I'm hoping someone with experience with this engine can shed a liitle light on my problem. I flew a 1/3 scale Decathlon yesterday using a Bambula 26x10 prop. I have way too much power with this set-up and would like to know if there is a prop change that may work to slow this thing down. It weighs 31# and adding a little weight may not hurt anything, but I know this can't fix the big problem. So I'm looking for your experience with RPM ranges and prop selection, do's and don't. I really hate to part with this engine, but if that's what the change needs to be then I will. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:02 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: Brison 6.4 prop selection

The brison engines like to run a higher rpm, mid 6K and more. I have seen one run a 27x10 and it pulled it ok, and a 28x8 menz, it pulled it ok as well. Too much power is not a bad thing you know
Old 05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
CaptainHook

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

Too much power is not a bad thing you know
That's what I thought too. But this thing is scary, not the speed itself, but if this airframe will hold up. I'm only getting up to 1/3 throttle and not getting the rpm up enough to keep it from loading up. It is plenty fast at 1/3. Not sure 126" model like this will take that kind of beating. Any RPM ranges with those props? I know I need to keep it above 6k, but I hope to get a comparison of RPM/prop selection before I make the change.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I want to say they were low 6K on those props. You could try the menz 28x8. I think the big airplane will take it, but if you are uncomfortable with it, try going up some on the prop.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a Biela 28-10. Another choice would be the MSC 26-10. The MSC REALLY loads the 6.4 down. To a point that's about 600 rpm less than the Menz 27-10. The Menz at around 6,000rpm, the MSC at 5,400 rpm +/- a little. The Biela should be between the MSC and the Menz.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Carey, congratulations on flying the SD. I have a Brison 6.4 on my Lanier Extra 300S and I know how well it runs. There is no way that I can imagine that this engine will hurt the air frame unless you put it in a dive at full power. If you built it close to the plans and I'm sure you did, it will hold together well.

As I'm sure you recall, I fly a 1/3 scale Hostetler Super Decathlon and it weighs about 31#. My engine is a ZDZ80RV turning a Bambula 26x10 at about 5800. I quiet often fly the plane at full throttle doing loops and Cuban 8s. Sometimes I throttle back coming out of a loop and sometimes I don't. Not saying the air frame will never break but mine has been thoroughly tested with no problems.

I think you will really like the power once you get used to it. Of course, you have to use that power in the right way. That's what the throttle is for.

Ken
Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
CaptainHook

Silversurfer, thanks for the input, it's just the kind of info I am looking for. I'm going to try running the engine this weekend and tweak on the card as it is on a rich setting. Maybe after I try that, managing the throttle will be a little more forgiving. Ken, thanks for the words of wisdom on the SD, I feel much better about the structure now . It came in at 31# also, no trim adjustments at all and I was very happy with the big ***** cat feel.[sm=thumbup.gif] Throttle management is going to be the key to much fun. Thanks for all the input.

Carey