Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Bme 50 need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
rob6894
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bme 50 need a little help

Hi Guys, I bought a used patty wagstaff with a bme 50cc egine. I took the plane out for the first time this weekend and put one flight on her. I had two problems in that flight the first and most concerning was that while the engine seemed strong ever time I made a turn and then straighten out the engine would sound like it burped or skiped just once then would continue on running strong. I then decided to land and when I landed I noticed I was just about out of gas in my 16oz tank after about 8 minutes I can't see how people are getting 10 minute flights out of this tank. I also noticed the tank was a little sucked in. It was hard to tell if one of the ruberbands on my tank pinched the vent line or if after the the tank started to suck in that the rubber band sliped over the vent line I don't know if this could have caused that burp or if they are 2 seprate issues. the other strange thing is that the vent fitting on the tank is on the top towrds the back of the tank so when the plane is on the field with the tail lower it is hard to fill the tank all the way as the fuel starts to go out the vent line.

Any help would be great as this is my first gasser and I would love to take her up again next weekend.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default RE: Bme 50 need a little help

Rob,

I get at least 15 minutes with my BME 50 on a 16 oz. I think you are either too rich on your settings or you have issues with your tank. I would take the tank out and fix the vent line, and check it all out. Then lean in your top end a little and see how that runs. Sometimes gas engines will blurble or act funny if the needles are off. Good luck finding it, there is no better 50cc engine than a BME. You will be happy with it I am sure.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

If the vent line is at the back of the tank, when you fill it you're only getting half a tank.[:@] Since you bought this used, I would take the tank out, pull the stopper, and inspect everything....You should probably replace all the fuel tubing in the system also...and while you're at it, put the vent at the top in the front of the tank, that way you'll get a full 16 oz.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I have a "Hayes" 16 oz. tank in mine with a BME-50 and always have plenty of fuel left after a normal flight. As suggested, re-do your fuel system.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Yep love my BME 50. Have a 24 ounce Du-Bro tank and get 18 minutes out of it with maybe 6 ounces left.