My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What engine is this?

OK guys, I've been flying for a while now, but this is my first endeavor into gas engines. up until now, I've been flying glow. The guy that I bought the plane off of (it's a 90 inch PT-19, kit unknown right now) was selling it for a friend, so he doesn't know what kind of engine it is. Unfortunately, the friend has passed away, and it's his son's that are getting rid of the plane. So, maybe you guys can help me identify the engine. My buddy said he thought maybe a US engines 42, but wasn't sure. He was pretty sure it was a 42 CC, but that was all he was sure about. The engine is made in the US, it is stamped on the top fo the crankcase. On the carb is stamped Walbro. that may be the brand of carb, I really don't know. Right now I'm going through the plane (as it's been in storage for a couple of years now) and fixing hanger rash and so on, and then I'll get with the guy and learn the ropes of the gas engine and the plane itself. Also, I have one more question. I know about electronic ignition Vs. magneto and so on. This engine seems to have a magneto on it, but the "magnet" has wires that lead back to the fuse, and tie into some odd looking thing that is hooked to a switch. The switch has what looks like a round charge jack on it (like on a transmitter). but, there is no battery. Is this an electronic ignition? If so, what size (V and Mah) battery do I need to get for it? The switch seems to be a three way switch.
Thanks for the help guys!
Here is a couple pics of the motor:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84509.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	289090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29009.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	289091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75308.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	289092  
Old 06-24-2005, 12:52 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What engine is this?

Hi 2slow2matter,
It is a US Engines model which was formerly Quadra. This engine style ranged from 35cc to 42cc and was originally made in Canada.

Dave
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 AM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dave,
thank you so much. Is this a good engine? I think they had a 20 inch prop on it.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, a couple of more questions. From looking at the pictures above, is this a magneto engine, or EI? I can shoot more pics if you need them. If it's magneto, what is the black box that the wires go to, and the switch and charging jack? After looking it over last night, I couldn't tell where a battery would hook up to the system--it's just the switch, "charge jack" and some wires that go to the engine. Also, the plane has a 12 OZ fuel tank. How long will the engine run with 12 OZ of fuel?--considering an average of 3/4 throttle.
One more question--what was the oil mixture for US engines? I can't find any information about them.
thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
carlosponti

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

magneto engine
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 AM
jongurley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think if you look at the piston,, pull the muff off, and if it has 2 rings it is a 42 if it has one piston ring it is a 35cc....
Old 06-25-2005, 12:18 AM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright, I managed to get some pictures of the little black box I was trying to describe. Here the setup--the black box (which is actually just something inside of some soft black rubber covering) has many wires coming in and out. One set of wires comes in from the switch, and go out to the magneto. The other set comes in from this round charger looking jack (located just below the switch on the fuse side), and it goes to a little copper thing that sits right next to the magneto. I have a picture of it as well. What the heck is all of this stuff? I figure it's a kill switch, but what's with the box? Is it some sorf of RF filter, or what? It doesn't appear have any kind of battery.
sorry about the quality of pics. My camera is about as worthless as **** on a boar hog...

The pics:
Help is greatly appreciated..

BTW, the engine has one ring, does that make it a 35 CC? Where can I find info about US engines?

Name:	Mk26562.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	289436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94134.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	289437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34636.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	289438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	289439  
Old 06-25-2005, 01:12 AM
davewallace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
It is a magnito engine. All you need to run it is the flywheel and coil. I think that hookup that you are talking may be some sort of auto retard system for easy starting. Check to see if the engine has a spring starter in the motor mount. If it has a spring it will help with starting. Figure That tank should give you fifteen miniuts with fuel to spare. Use a good quality chain saw oil at manufactures recomendations. Do a search on oil and you should get a bunch of good info on oil.

Dave
Old 06-25-2005, 08:40 AM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave,
Thanks for that info. That makes perfect sense since the switch is a three way switch. So, that would be for starting, running, and killing? 15 min is plenty. I'm going to buy a new tank today for good measure, so I may stick a 14 or 16 oz in there. There is no spring starter on this one, so I guess maybe that why the timing system? Like I said, the guy who put all of this together has passed away. I ended up with it. Thanks for the help~!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you have is a magneto motor and what appears to be a jump start electronic ingnition used only for starting. I use the jump start on my Q52. You energize it with a battery to make a hot spark for starting then remove the battery and fly on the magneto. The magneto motors require a fast spin to get spark but with the jump start it is a zero speed spark. If I remember correctly C&H ignitions sells the jump start. There should also be a switch on the jumpstart "unless someone removed it".

At least that's what it looks like to me from the pics. Jim
Old 06-25-2005, 10:21 AM
jimcork1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can photo my installation if you need help on the connections. I saw the previous post and the jump start has a 3 position switch. The switch three settings are ,, 1) Off (no ignition for safety), 2) magneto on for flying and 3) jump start energized for starting only.

You will need a 4 cell AA battery pack for about 6.0V to energize the jump start. This plugs into the jack only to start the plane. I can check polarity for you if you like. The small item in one photo is the pickup that is screwed under one of the magneto screws so the magnet will energize it for starting. Again,, I have all this in photos if you would like installed photos.

This system really works well and I would not run a mag. motor without the jump start. Just let me know what you need and I can help on this.. Jim
Old 06-25-2005, 12:16 PM
jimcork1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too hot today to fly, so I took a few pics of the jumpstart. You will see where the pickup goes. I also added the 4 cell power pack for the jump start. The center pin is + positive. Email me off line and I will help if you have any more questions.. Jim

Name:	Rp43831.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	289589   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44749.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	289590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42166.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	289591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99116.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	289592  
Old 06-25-2005, 12:28 PM
davewallace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're welcome.

Dave
Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it's a 42cc engine, it's a Quadra, US makes the 41 (although US and Quadra are same-same). One view of the side looks more like a Quadra, from the way the cylinder fins are shaped. I have a US 41, and there is a small sticker on the side of the crankcase that has the serial number, and a model number, which is 417951. The label on the box says:
Bore--1.57 in. / 39.9mm
Strike--1.28 in / 32.5mm
HP--3.0
weight--4.5lb / 2.04kg w/ std muffler
Recommended plug--Champion RCJ-7Y
Recommended prop--18-12, 20-8

It is also stamped made in USA on the engine case and flywheel.

Gas / oil mix is 32:1

I like my -41 a lot, I use a 20-6/10 prop and fly it on a 21 pound airplane (96 inch wing). It will take off in about 20 feet.

I don't know anything about the fast start thingy; the magneto has two lead connectors on it, if you connect them to a toggle switch, that is your ignition "kill"; open switch (off) is really "run", and closed switch (on) is "kill". Mine has a spring starter, and if you've got the carb wet, it usually starts in 3-5 flips.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM
smooreace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone still reading this old post? I have been searching for months to find anything for a manual for this same engine. I need the base carb settings so I can get this thing running.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 AM
davewallace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

smooreace,
Set the needles at about 1.5 to 1.75 turns open. First close them gently against the seats then open them, counting the turns. As long as the carb diaphram is in good shape and the fuel circuit isn't coughed, it should pump fuel.

Dave

Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
BD Culver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are Quadra or US engines made in Syracuse N.Y I have a small engine it says USE Engines Syracuse N.Y and a model and serial number. It also has a spring start system and a Walbro carb its mag start. I found it in a pile my Uncle had it runs like a champ would just like to figure out what size it is so I can go fly it in appropriate plane. Thanks for help

BD Culver
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jongurley

I think if you look at the piston,, pull the muff off, and if it has 2 rings it is a 42 if it has one piston ring it is a 35cc....

-

The original Quadra 35cc engine did utilize two piston rings. I don't know about the US Engines 35cc versions. One of the old hop up tricks for the Q35 was to remove one of the piston rings and replace the remaining ring with a special ring, different from the original Quadra part.

Having made in USA on the block is a good indication that it is a US Engines product. Some of these engines were very good powerplants. The ones made after the factory moved were hit or miss on quality.

The wires leading back to the fuselage from the ignition system were probably connected to a C&H (IIRC) "Jump Start". It made starting much easier by providing enough power to generate a spark at low, hand starting rpm. After the engine was started and running, the switch to the Jump Start was turned off and the engine ran on its own generated electrical power. It made hand starting some of the old magneto engines much, much easier.

Ed Cregger