Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Couple questions

I've got a Quadra 52 on my giant stinger which I've clipped 6" off of the wing. I put a new carb kit on it and it still doesn't run very well. When it does run though it'll will keep the stinger in a vertical climb.... barely. One of the mounting bolt holes for the muffler has stripped out somehow and I was wondering if it can be helicoiled? Or what would be the best way to fix it? Also I've got a bennet muffler on itif you can even call it a muffler.... This thing is ridiculously loud. Anyone have any ideas on how to quiet it down a bit? I've considered just buying a different motor altogether, what are everyones thoughts on a taurus 4.2 with ignition?

Thanks, c.p.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Couple questions

I've got a Quadra 52 on my giant stinger which I've clipped 6" off of the wing.
    I don't know how that would effect how the engine runs. <snicker>

doesn't run very well.
    That doesn't tell us much. Can you give some details as to what it's doing?

stinger in a vertical climb.... barely.
    I'm surprised. A Zenoah G-62 will barely do that.

I was wondering if it can be helicoiled?
    Absolutely. Situations like this is what Helicoil is made for.

This thing is ridiculously loud. Anyone have any ideas on how to quiet it down a bit?
    Yup, Benenett's mufflers are not known for being quiet. You coudl try the stock muffler. Or a Snuffler.

Dr.1
    There\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s a Hun in the sun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well let me get more specific. I clipped 3" off each tip to make the wing fit in my short bed full size sierra. It doesn't even know the difference. It runs well at full power but the idle never really gets very low, I don't have the tach reading, but it's sufficient to where the a/c will not stay still, it will not stop on the ground. I'm running a zinger 20X8 prop on it. I know that it is hard to believe but it will ever so slightly climb vertically. It suprised the heck out of me as well. I need to know what size the bolt is that holds on the muffler as I have no documentation and no way to find out quickly on my own so if someone knows offhand that would be great. I was looking at it and there just doesn't look like theres much room for a helicoil there. A friend of mine suggested putting steel wool into the muffler and that might slow down the exhaust enough to let it cool before it comes out. It's so blasted loud due to it not really being a muffler but more of a keep the exhaust out of the engine compartment device.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It runs well at full power but the idle never really gets very low, I don't have the tach reading, but it's sufficient to where the a/c will not stay still, it will not stop on the ground. I'm running a zinger 20X8 prop on it.
    Hmmm...has the carburetor ever been apart? If so, the butterfly might be backwards. How about the mixes? My G-23 and G-38 both ran on about 1 1/4 turns out for both needles. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Gas engines just don't have that much to go wrong with them, and are usually very user friendly.

I was looking at it and there just doesn't look like theres much room for a helicoil there.
    You can clean the area VERY well, fill the hole with JB Weld, drill and re-tap.

A friend of mine suggested putting steel wool into the muffler
    I've never done that, but I've heard it works well. Bennett's "mufflers" are really no more than small expansion chambers, and ARE loud. Look at the Snuffler muffler, too.

Dr.1
    There\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s a Hun in the sun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help, not sure if I will helicoil or what but I'm anxious to get it flying again soon, so something will happen soon.

C.P.