Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

spark plug gap for Brison 3.2

Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
$ircra$halot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug gap for Brison 3.2

Hi guys and gals.
Got a quick and painless question. Can someone please tell me the right spark plug gap for a Brison 3.2 I have been to their web site and cannot find this info. I have it gapped at 020 and it seems to run alright on the ground, so I think I am close. Just curious.
Thanks a bunch
Happy flying
$ircra$halot

Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: spark plug gap for Brison 3.2

Hi,
Use .020 to .025. Remember that the gap opens over time, so smaller to start makes sense. If it runs rough in mid range, open the gap. If it cuts out at full throttle, close the gap some. Also don't forget that the high and low speed needles also effect how it runs.

Dave
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 PM
$ircra$halot

Thanks Dave.
I thought I had guessed the gap close to right. this engine is an older one that I inherited from a friend that passed last summer, I have no idea how old it is, but I know it has never been run. Here is another Question! I started it yesterday for the first time, it seemed to run great through the first 1/2 tank of gas, (approx. 8 oz). running at 170 to 175 degrees at the base of the cylinder head, carb. side. It was run at full throttle 3 times, approx 10 seconds each time to approx.5800 R.P.M. the rest of the run was at idle (Zinger 22X8 prop). I then shut it off and flew my tiger 60. However when I tried to re-start it about 45 min. later it would pop when choked after 3 or 4 flips, choke off, 3 or 4 flips it would start and run for 15 to 20 seconds only, we could get it to stay running by choking it while running, this suggest to me a fuel draw problem, maybe the pump diaphram dried up after sitting for possibly 20 years or more, but it did run for 15 to 20 min. on the initial start. It eventually got to the point where it would not even pop, the ignition battery still shows 5.4 volts. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help
$ircra$halot
Garry
Old 07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Make sure the carb fuel screen is not plugged. That and the diaphram leaking is the two things I would look at first.
Next make sure you have a good spark. If you run a strong magnet over the sensor, it should cause a spark when the magnet leaves the sensor.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 AM
$ircra$halot

Good morning Geistware.
It appears spark is a problem as well! I now think that choking while running, was coincidence, it has no spark. I took the ign. system out and found a broken power wire (the red one) on the female side of the harness that suppies power for the sensor. I re-soldered it and still have no power when the magnet passes by the sensor. I can usually hear a spark if not see it at the plug. However when I turn the ign. switch on, if I am touching the engine it will shock the royal stuff out of me. This leads me to believe It is getting power through the system. I need to purchase a multi meter, mine seems to have taken up walking. The battery is a brand new 1200 Mah. ni-cad and freshly charged, ace E.S.V. reads 5.4 volts. I suspect the sensor is belly up. Any ideas?
Thanks for the help
$ircra$halot
Old 07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

You get a shock ,,,,,,,,, I would guess that either the plug is not grounded to the engine or the plug is shot, the center electrode has gone "open".
Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When checking for spark, if you get a good spark when you turn on the ignition switch, but no spark when turning over the engine, you probably have a bad pick-up sensor.
Here is some trouble shooting info: http://www.ch-ignitions.com/CHinst.html
If need be, call the guys at C&H, they will be glad to help you trouble shoot it.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:15 PM
$ircra$halot

Bad pick up sensor is exactly what the problem is. I called C.H. and talked to Terry. He walked me through the procedure for testing the entire ignition system. Following his suggestions led me straight to the pick up sensor, The new one should be here by wen.
Thanks for all the help.
$ircra$halot