Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to gas engines....help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
aps f4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to gas engines....help please

Hello out there. I have been around this hobby since I was brought in to this world and my Father never had any big gas engines, just glow, so my knowledge of gas engines is pretty much limitted, except for all the good stuff I have read here on RC Universe on G-62's.

So now that I have grown up a little and want to move on to bigger and better things, I decided that with my giant scale P-47 that gas would be the best way to go since my gut was telling me to pull that ST 4500 out and get rid of the unreliable thing.

I purchased a Zenoha G-62 just last night and have a few questions about converting the P-47 over to petro. I know that I have to change the fuel tubeing and the fuel filler valve, filter and rubber stopper in the fuel tank, but what about the fuel tank its self? I have a freind who said he put some gas in an old fuel tank that he had and it dried it out and cracked it all over?

I went to Tower Hobbies web site a few minutes ago and looked for gas only fuel tanks but didn't find anything, just the rubber stopper conversion kit? Is that all I need? All the info you guys can give me over this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

a

Old 07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: New to gas engines....help please

ORIGINAL: aps f4u
I have a freind who said he put some gas in an old fuel tank that he had and it dried it out and cracked it all over?
You said it yourself, an OLD fuel tank, who knows what condition it was in. You are correct, the tanks are the same, but tubing and stopper are different. Filter can be the same, as long as the housing is not a polymer material, i.e. aluminum filter is fine.
DKjens
Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi,
Don't forget about all of the other things to consider with a gas engine. The Futaba website has a good overall guide to a proper gas setup. Many of the things that you can get away with when using glow engines will cause a crash on gas. Here is the address: http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-gas.html

Enjoy, Dave
Old 07-15-2005, 02:22 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And just one other thing

So now that I have grown up a little and want to move on to bigger and better things
No you haven't, if you are in this hobby there is no way you have grown up and you never intend too. J/K
Old 07-15-2005, 04:18 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Here are a couple of other things to remember;

Silicone fuel lines are a no no, use only tubing approved for gas, eg: Tygon.

Gas carbs have built-in fuel pumps so you can put the fuel tank just about anywhere.

Gas engines burn fuel at a much slower rate than glow so you don't need a massive gas tank or very large fuel lines. For the G62 a 24 oz tank would be good for about 30 mins flying time.

Gas engines are run-in during flying so they don't require excessive bench running time like glow motors.

Just like a glow motor, make sure your mixture is not too lean by backing off a couple hundred rpm from max. by opening the HS needle by 1/4 turn.

Make sure that 'big prop' is properly balanced.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:23 PM
aps f4u

Thanks guys for the tips. I don't want to have any problems with my first gas set up and only want to do it right the first time....but who doesn't? I will be sure to check out that futaba web site, thanks Dave.

a
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

While great planes tanks are "primarily" for Glow, they now come with a stopper that is compatible with gas. I also like the way the tank is made because you don't have to try and bend the brass tube just right and the stopper is held in by a 10mm nut. All around a better tank that Dubro. Tower does sell them 'cause I just installed one on my G26 powered Big Boy. Ahh heck heres the link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNG61&P=0. Notice that the vent is made on the tank, you just push your tubing on. There's another fitting if you want to fill by another line. Great tanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:54 PM
zeng62

Don't use a sullivan tank as a friend of mine did and got his plane out this year and tha tank split all across the back just sitting over the winter, I use dubro tanks usually.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I like B&B tanks.

http://bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm