Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME-100 kickback issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:22 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME-100 kickback issues

Tim you did an outstanding job of explaining that deal. This was not a thread on my BME will turn more than your??? Engine so believe me in any RPM figures i give ya. I should be back up and running next weekend with my falcon as i have witness this c & h needs some repairs and i am not going to put any money into it. I will be smiling from ear to ear here soon. Sometimes when you jump in on post number XX, you have to go back to the beginning to see what has transpired. Thanks again Tim and G-ware.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
krayzc-RCU

news flash:

we have new gear to test tomorrow

plugs have been converted and installed
new iginition

yeah baby i willl tell you all the deal tomorrow. thanks so much for the ears and help.

Geistware
did the package arrive okay?

Tim u r da man!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88486.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	366464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14318.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	366465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44595.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	366466  
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Tim_Indy

Gerald, I'm sure you'll like the Falkon ignition. The main ingredient to success is insuring that the ignition timing is set so as to fire the spark at exactly 2 degrees before top dead center. This is a case where "close enough" (plus or minus 5 degrees from exact) can cost you 100 to 200 rpm which is several pounds of thrust with a 26" diameter prop. (I can already hear stories from guys proclaiming the Falkon ignition conversion is not as powerful as the CH ignition).

The only way to precisely set the timing is having the degree wheel to read exactly zero degrees when the piston is EXACTLY at top dead center, and you can't do that by "feel", because the piston moves so little at top and bottom dead center. You can get a swing of plus or minus 5 degrees from TDC and not feel the piston move at all. The only way to set the degree wheel right is use a dial indicator, or use a positive piston stop and set the degree wheel so it reads the same at the stop on both sides of TDC. Get the degree wheel right, and setting the rest is a piece of cake.

Yeah, I know, close is good enough for a lot of guys ......... but ...... like the computer saying, "garbage in, garbage out" right?

Then again, maybe I'm just too picky and need to loosen up some.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
krayzc-RCU

Tim you are so right with that deal i did not do any of this work although i could except i dont have a dial indicator, this motor just arrived back from BME so i/u know the deal now. i needed to get a part replaced so i figure just let them do it all for 30.00 labor was cool for me. tomorrow i will run her..... i will attempt to start her with out my chicken stick that i have been using lately
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

You can download a degree wheel for free off the internet over here:
http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html

Then just glue it to a piece of wood and cut it out with a saw, drill a center hole to fit your crankshaft. Make a pointer from a bent piece of wire and a large metal safety clip that you can attach to the fins on your engine.

Don't worry about a dial indicator. Take a popsicle stick and stick it in your exhaust port with the piston at bottom. Rotate crank clockwise until it hits the popsicle stick - note degrees.
Rotate crank counterclockwise until it again hits the popsicle stick - note degrees.
Figure how many degrees total you rotated and divide by two - you've found BDC.
Add 180 degrees to BDC and you've found TDC.
What did it cost you?......A popsicle stick......
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes, let us know how it works..
Gerald, sorry but I forgot to tell you that it came on Friday!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
krayzc-RCU

well i put up with the cold for a few and 3 flips i had a pop 3 flips and the baby is running.

I am getting 6300 RPM on the high and the old idle is droping after 5-8 seconds of running from about 1500 to 900. i started the motor back up a few time and played briefly with the low end overall the high idle stayed around with the drop off. I will tinker with it more on a better day but the new plugs/iginition are working great... ps i did this testing on my 26 x 10 mejzlik. i brought the plane in and moved my throttle linkage around a bit to see if this would clean up any binding that i may not see around the exhaust. i will keep you all posted on the next start up which should be 1-3 days.

Diablo-RCU tks 4 the scoop
Old 12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have experenced the idle dropping thing with my engine but a couple of guys on the left coast, hasn't had this problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Ya use lefties don't have that problem It has to be related to the carb settings or possibly an air leak.
The only time mine exhibited this was when I did not have enough room between the carb and the cowl, but it wouldn't run up correctly either.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
krayzc-RCU

it has been a warm day compard to yesterday. i was off yesterday. isn't that how it goes i will mess with mine somemore to see about the idle deal.