Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Mine is still NIB. I've just never had a desire to put it in anything yet. My thoughts are that If it was a really good engine, as long as it's been around it would have built up some king of reputation by now. If you want some input on it's quality, and reliability, why not start a thread asking for comments from other owners that have used the "Tartan," engine.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob;

I guess I should, but when you look at how badly I screwed up this part so far they may not let me start threads. I'll give it a try anyway, if nothing else I'll provide some comedy relief to the list.

Harry

Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Heres a pic of my engine mounting setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99901.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	356924  
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Bob Laine

Hi Blue Ice, Give us a little input on what kit the plane is, how much does it weigh, and let us know how how the maiden flight go's. The engine look's great>
Old 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM
T-one

By all means Blue Ice do what Bob said. Looks like a very neat installation. Also please forward a pic and some info for our Taurus web site customer page.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 06:37 PM
blue ice

Hi guys. I purchased this engine from Bill around the first of the year for a Sig Sundancer. It wouldnt fit without a lot of major mods to the firewall so I purchased a Wildhare Extra 300 LX. This is the second fuse though. If you look real close at throttle linkage you dont see the outer tube. I didnt think I needed it. Well on maiden, it was 90+ degrees out, plane took right off. Made oh about 10 laps and when trying to land it(with engine idling a little to high) plane would just float by. After 3rd time on approach, I decided to go around 1 more time, applied throttle and engine never picked up any rpm's. Ended up tip stalling it about 15 feet off the ground. Nyrod folded due to heat. Fuse was repairable, but I just ordered a new one. Maiden, to me seemed under powered on first fuse and I was a lil upset with performance. No one else in my area even knows what a Taurus engine is. On second fuse, engine is a total beast. I dont know what I did defferent but it has all the power it needs plus some. I have a menz 22x8prop turning just under 7000 rpms'(any one know where I can buy some spares). Didnt ever weight it but plane has all 5945mg servos with 8611 on rudder. Fromeco 2400 on ign and 4800 on surfaces. I have only flown it about 5 time since new fuse. Been out of town for 11 weeks working. Still a lil week in the knees when flying the extra but my bud always want to fly it. He loves my Taurus. Plane will have to sit now till next year. Atleast it will be ready come spring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44220.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	357059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73529.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	357060  
Old 11-19-2005, 07:32 PM
T-one

Suggest you don't use a nyrod for the throttle pushrod. Too week, will flex and as you found out affected by heat.
Only 5 flights so far means it will only get better on the power,after a few gallons of fuel go to Amsoil 100:1 or Klotz.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
rclarry

Blue Ice-I got my menz-s from Desert Aircraft. They shipped right away, but the freight was a little pricey. Buy up to three props, and the shipping is the same. My TS-52 ran 7040 on a Menz-S 22-8 on the first rpm check, and I've got about 7 flights on it now,( cold weather, and deer season rears its ugly head ). How do you like the throttle response? Mine's downright scary! A wall switch couldn't be any faster. You gotta love it.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:07 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Blue Ice, what are you using and where did you get the spacers for your engine. I'm looking at using blocks of wood but I like whatever your using much better. Much cleaner than a block of wood.

That kind of looks like conduit... is that conduit?

If it is conduit how did you get it centered around the bolt?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Bob Laine

Blue ice, You have really built a beautiful Extra. Sorry to hear about your "tip stall" (been there done that) but it sounds like you've got it all worked out now. Your comments about the "Taurus" engine are so typical of what every new Taurus owner says. When you say the other flyers at your field never heard of the "Taurus" engine, that's also not unusual. Soon word of mouth will spread about your engine when everyone see's how it performs when it's flown with any other engine in it's class. Before long, you won't be the only one flying a Taurus engine at your field. Like Bill O said, Wait until you get three or four gallons of gas through it ,and you'll really see it come alive. I just received two props (24/8 and 23/8) that I'll be getting some numbers on in the next couple of weeks. Keep us posted on you Taurus engine, as you continue getting it broke in, and I'll post the numbers on these prop' when I get them.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 PM
blue ice

camss69 They are aluminum rod that have been drilled 1/4-20 on one side and if I remember right 10-32 on the other and 1 3/16 long. A bud made them for me.
rclarry How long ago did you get your props from DA? Last time I checked they didnt have any. I couldnt find them anywhere.
What sold me on Taurus was how it is constructed. I like how the crank is supported on both ends with a bearing. The Taurus was my first new gas engine I bought. I have a BME 50 in a AW 29% Edge I bought used RTF for 850.00 and a used DA for a nib Extreme Flight Yak.
I dont mean to get off track here but I am having a problem with the BME and maybe Bill or someone else could offer some insight. I flew the plane last year and everything was fine. First flight this year I did a snap roll and the engine dropped down to a idle. After a few seconds it would pick up in rpm's but is scared the crap out of me. I am flying a 9c trans. Someone said RX battery could be bad so I installed all new batteries. Seemed ok for a couple of flights then coming out of a inverted flat spin it did it again. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 PM
T-one

Since I'm not prejudice (much) I would look at throttle linkage hanging up. Are you using the Nyrod there as well? If so scrap it and get something stout. I use welding rod threaded 4-40 on the end to use a clevis or ball socket.
I have to admit In all my years of flying I have not experienced what you and some others have so I really should not comment. I've never soldered a tube to the top of the carb either to vent into a fuse.
If air is restricted I would think that might have the engine sound like it went to idle. In cowl turbulance maybe????
Old 11-19-2005, 11:22 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Bill what do you recommend I use for a spacer behind the radial mount?

I need a little over an inch I think.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:56 PM
T-one

What I do is to make a ring of plywood rather than stand offs.
the ring would be 4" in diameter about 1/2" wide and 1" thick.
In my opinion this results in a more solid contact to the firewall to support the weight of the engine. Any increase weight will not be noticed with this engine. This engine will pull 20# planes without breaking a sweat.
Again it is my opinion to use a ring. I also do not use any offset when mounting an engine.
Call me if you like at the number listed on the web site.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

I dont mean to get off track here but I am having a problem with the BME and maybe Bill or someone else could offer some insight. I flew the plane last year and everything was fine. First flight this year I did a snap roll and the engine dropped down to a idle. After a few seconds it would pick up in rpm's but is scared the crap out of me. I am flying a 9c trans. Someone said RX battery could be bad so I installed all new batteries. Seemed ok for a couple of flights then coming out of a inverted flat spin it did it again. Any ideas?
With all the engine "manufactures" on this thread, I am a bit hesitant to offer an idea, but my guess is the fuel line in the tank stiffened up (while not in use) and the clunk stuck for a moment causing an air bubble. (My first thoughts)
Old 11-20-2005, 09:22 AM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

I'm by no means an expert but wouldn't a stuck clunk cause the engine to race then die? Especially if the throttle were wide open. It sounds more like the servo isn't coming back up on the throttle after being cut back when coming out of a manuever.

Harry
Old 11-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

An air bubble would not cause a problem...Pinch off the fuel line sometime when the engine is running and see how long it runs, you might be surprised...
Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 PM
rclarry

Blue Ice---I got the props from DA around the first of October. They'll ship 3 for the same freight as one, and I would get an assortment. 22-8 for break-in, 23-8 or 10, and a 24-8. I know that sounds optomistic, but your engine develops its horsepower AND torque between 6400 and 7400 rpm. You won't notice a huge drop in rpm when you prop "up" because of this, and it will still keep the engine from over-speeding. If your prop starts to "rip", it's going too fast. Time to prop up. Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
blue ice

Thanks rclarry. I will give DA a call.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Blue Ice,
If you are still out there, why didn't the Taurus work on the Sundancer? Was it the Pitts muffler? Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 PM
blue ice

You got it. I would have had to do malor surgery to the firewall. Not my cup of tea.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 PM
T-one

Blue Ice, we would like to have pics of your Taurus powered plane for the gallery on the web site if possible. Send some specs as well.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
flynfish44

I remembered this forum today and was surprised to see the last message was from Bill O. last December. Is this thread dead or am I missing something. I bought a 42CC from Bill last year for a 1/4 scale Rearwin Skyranger I am scratch building. It is going to be a dedicated float plane. I finally got to a point where I could start the engine today. I am somewhat concerned as the Taurus 42CC specs say it has 25 pounds of thrust. I weighed my beast today and it was right near 26 pounds. I am turning a 22x10 prop. Does anyone have any experience with float flying and Taurus engines? Just by the sight and sound of the engine at full throttle makes me think it will have pleanty of guts.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Bob Laine

I have some experience with flying off the water but, I don't have any of my "Taurus" engines on my float plane. I Run a 22 X 10 prop on my Taurus 3.2 (52cc) and I'm wondering if the 22 X 10 prop on a Taurus 44cc might be just a tad too much. I suggest you call Bill O, and see what he says.
Don't let the water scare you.......just set you plane up and balance it and you'll find very little difference between water, and turf.
Good luck, Bob
Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 PM
flynfish44

Thanks for the come back--- I have lots of experience at flying off the water --- I like that more than flying at our field. I tacked the engine at full throttle and got about 6,000 RPM. I think that is a bit low--- 7500 might be more like it. Bill is a member of our club and lives about 10 miles from me. I don't see him very often as he is a very busy man. I am pretty sure he moniters this thread often so I won't be surprised if he reads this.
Should I see a rapid transition from slow to fast or should I expect to throttle up more gradually? If I throttle up rapidly it seems as though the engine might die --- almost as if the idle setting is too lean. Will this get better the more I run the engine or should I adjust the idle mixture?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.