Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Nothing strange about the rpm differences between props at all. The TF props flex more than a trampoline, causing a signigicant loss of efficiency. That's way those things are made with the prop blade curved to the back. They flex a long ways forward. Individual engine tuning plays a large part in rpm counts as well. Those that know how to tune an engine will always obtain more rpm than those that don't. Differnt manufacturers make different props from the other manufacturer, providing significant differences in propeller performance. I found that a Menz 22-8 beats the Xoar to death in rpm, but an MSC 22-8 at lower rpm beat Xoar and Menx in all actual flight performance parameters.

BTW, constant pitch props typically provide a higher rpm level if max rpm is what you seek.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This engine rocks, I was out flying this morning and this thing just doesn't miss a beat, smooth, powerful, starts easy, it was around 85 degrees this morning at 1030 and she just starts right up does what she does, I put it through the wringer some lengthy hovering with straight up pullouts, hard 3d, snaps, you name it, land and taxi back to myself and she's idling as smooth as can be. I'm trying to sell this plane, but I think the Taurus is going to have to stay with me!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3DDino

hi SS
zippi on june 10(gas engine forum) posted his finding on TF pp 22x6-10 same prop as mine
he said his g62 on xoar 22x8 gave him 7000rpm whilst TF 22x6-10 -- 6400rpm
my ts52 with TF22x6-10 also gave me 6400
had i used xoar22x8 i would have hit 7000 also??? too bad i cant get xoar here
just whats ur opinion on this weird scenerio
thx
yep, i get low 7000 on my taurus 52 with the xoar 22-8,next i want to try the MSC 22-8 and i have a mejzlick 23-8 that i will be trying out.but the xoar 22-8 sounds like it is almost ripping.
i can't say enough good about this engine,it just never stops running,no matter what stunt you can pull on low idle.VERY STRONG RUNNING ENGINE and SMOOOOTH!
thanks SilverSurfer for turing my head in this direction.
ENJOY!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Tired Old Man

Send all the thanks to Bill Oberdieck at Taurus. He's the one that designed and produces the engine. Without him and his talents we would all have to run an inferior engine. Thak you just the same though.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Send all the thanks to Bill Oberdieck at Taurus. He's the one that designed and produces the engine. Without him and his talents we would all have to run an inferior engine. Thak you just the same though.
I've been enjoying my new Taurus over the last month or so. It just gets stronger every time out. Easily turns a Xoar, Bolly or Bunny type 22-8 at 7500 plus. I'm currently using a Bisson side mount muffler because the wrap around type won't fit the current airframe. This engine didn't start out real strong but after about 2 weekends of flying, it just sort of shifted into overdrive and picked up several hundred RPMs! I'm going to try a Xoar 23-8 the next time out. Anyway, I'm certainly a happy Taurus customer. Especially since my DA-50 is in the shop with a rattle and squeak problem and thats all I have to say about that!

Roger S.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 AM
closetguy

thats good news to me becuse when i first started to fly this engine all i could get 6450 on the xoar prop. i got only 3/4 of a gal. of fuel through it now and it's in the low 7000 but it's like you said it just keeps climbing in rpm's after evert flight.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
dougtx

I am not sure what RPM I am getting on my TS-52 but it is swinging the XOAR 23x8 very well, it will hang on the prop at around 1/3 throttle and wot sounds really good.

The 22x8 I was using turned in the high 7’s and was ripping the prop tips at wot so that is when I switched to the 23x8 and the engine came to life.

From my experience, I have found that the more efficient the prop is the less it will slip, especially when running it on the ground, but it will perform very well, usually much better than the props turning higher RPM’s on the ground.

I used to monitor RPM’s to the "T", but I have found it is better to watch how the airplane flies and performs as opposed to focusing on the "ground" RPM’s of the engine.

It all depends on the airframe and desired performance, you could put a paint stick on the front of the airplane and get 10K RPM.I have a SIG Kougar with an old Italian made ST75 on it, I run an 11x12 prop on it and turns around 9600 RPM on the ground but once in the air, with the small airplane, sleek design, it unloads and has been clocked at over 130+mph.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Tired Old Man

A man that has learned the true secret to obtaining the highest performance from a prop. Gauging the plane in flight. Doug, you're a breath of fresh air[8D]
Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM
dougtx

This is a Taurus thread not a prop thread, so forgive me, but one last note;

A tachometer has a placebo effect, they will swear that it is flying better because the prop turns faster on the ground, or the prop is too big because it turns slower on the ground and then the plane does not perform as well.

Picking a prop that is within the peak torque RPM is important to acquiring the best performance from an engine, however, using "ground RPM" to determine the best performance from a prop, unless you plan on flying you plane tied to the fence all the time, may not be the best way to determine what prop provides the best performance for a given airplane / engine combination.

Remember, a prop is a rotating air-foiled wing that generates horizontal lift, things change when the airplane is in motion, drag, airflow, efficiency, and of course RPM!

In a roundabout way, you wouldn’t select the best tires for your car by tying the bumper to the garage and pick the tires that spun fastest, or tie your boat to the dock and pick a prop that has the highest RPM.

Yes I know, this is an exaggerated example, but you get the idea.

The number one place I use a tachometer on the ground is for synchronizing multi-engine airplanes, I don’t necessarily pay attention to the RPM of the engine, but use it to ensure that both engines are turning at the same RPM.

Another good tool for selecting a prop is a scale, would you rather have 4lbs of thrust and 12K RPM or 35lbs of thrust and 9K RPM?

A tachometer, scale, etc.. can give you a starting point for selecting a prop, but the best tool for selecting the right prop is your transmitter and thumbs, put the airplane in the air and pay close attention to how it flies, fly it for 6 or 8 times (not minutes) before switching props, you will know right away which one is better for the airplane, engine, and type of flying you enjoy.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
dougtx

Just curious if anyone has tried running a 24x8? on a TS-52
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Tired Old Man

Remember, this is a Taurus thread, not a prop thread...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Remember, this is a Taurus thread, not a prop thread...
Might be a Taurus thread but I believe a prop question is a valid question in any engine thread.

24-8 might be a bit large for the 52. Might lug it down a bit too much.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Tired Old Man

The size of a prop directly effects the temperature an engine will run at. The vast majority of people running gassers have inadaquate cooling through their engines so a larger prop could and would be a problem. Most engines also have an rpm area that the combustion process is most efficient in. That larger prop could place that rpm level well below the sweet spot. Like a diesel that's being "lugged" down in the gears you could cause a lot of piston damage if the rpm at w.o.t. is too low. If proper cooling is maintained and the engine handles the load well the 24" or larger prop could work but you need to have a clear understanding of how hese engines work and what to look for.

It's something to try to see how it works but be a little cautious in the operation. Don't go over an 8" pitch if you elect to give it a shot.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
tkg

Not a prop thread but TS 52 with Zinger Pro 22x8 7400 rpm plane flew good. Changed to Zoar 22x8 rpm droped to 6800.
Plane flew FASTER. I had to throttle back to maintain constant speed when level.
Tachs are useful when tuning an engine with a prop, but to compare different props rpms............
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Tired Old Man

Terry, at least you caught the satire when I re-stated engine not prop thread
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 AM
closetguy

tkg, that is the first thing i notice after going from a menzs 22-8 to a xoar 22-8. i lost about 400-500 rpm's with the xoar but boy what a difference faster and more pulling power. i am just trying out different props rite now.and NEVER a slightest hint of a dead stick. i am going to start to play around with different pitts muffler's and maybe try going to a pipe or canister to see what she will realy do.
ENJOY!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Just in from flying my QQ Yak 54 with a TS 52. What an awesome combo. I have about 1 gal. thru the engine now, and it just keeps getting stronger. It rips a 22-8 with ease. I'll move to a 23-8 soon.
Z
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

As that I am now a happy Taurus owner, I thought I should provide some information. I am using a TS52 in a Top Flight P51 (85" ws), total weight 22lbs. I am using a Bolly wood 21x10 prop. The engine was easy to tune and idles at 1400rpm. Today was the maiden and it went perfectly. The plane flew fast at 1/2 throttle and at full throttle moved along quite briskly. The engine is easy to start, runs smooth and has good power. It is a good fit for this plane and I look forward to seeing what it can do after it breaks in.

-Ed B.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

Hello,

As that I am now a happy Taurus owner, I thought I should provide some information. I am using a TS52 in a Top Flight P51 (85" ws), total weight 22lbs. I am using a Bolly wood 21x10 prop. The engine was easy to tune and idles at 1400rpm. Today was the maiden and it went perfectly. The plane flew fast at 1/2 throttle and at full throttle moved along quite briskly. The engine is easy to start, runs smooth and has good power. It is a good fit for this plane and I look forward to seeing what it can do after it breaks in.

-Ed B.
What muffler did you use in your Mustang? How well did the carb fit in the cowl? Pictures??
Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carb sticks out of the cowl, which is what I wanted. I did not use the stock Taurus muffler and instead used a B&B muffler---very small and compact, but is more restrictive and you lose a few hundred rpms. But, it was fine for me. I'll post some pictures.

-Ed B.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 AM
p-80

anyone running smoke with their 52 on the tarus wraparoud muffler if so how do you like it
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had smoke in mine for the first few flights and it put out great smoke. I took it out to save weight, but mine worked very well and I used the Sullivan Sky Writer pump.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to give a shout about the GREAT service Bill gives his Taurus owners. I have a TS42 in my PW Extra300 and am very pleased with the performance. Sent the engine in for a checkup after a landing mishap[&o] Bill went over everything and he got the 42 back to me in fine shape.

Finally got the Cool Taurus Sticker to place on plane[8D]

Thanks,

Pete

Has anyone put a TS52 or 69 in an Exterme Flight 88in Yak???
Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Tired Old Man

Don't need to and still be able to say it will fly it better than the 50 sisters.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
T-one

Holy Smoke!!!!! Been awhile since we were here. You fellows sure made our day. We don't know what to do with all the warm fuzzies. Thank you all.
To Dougtx referring the 24x8. Yup I personally ran one once on a Sig Sukoi 31 ARF. If you ever heard the story about the Old Ford Tri-motor. It took off at 90 ,flew at 90 and landed at 90.And that was true because I actually flew a full scale Tri-motor out of Put-in-Bay Ohio, wicker seats and all.Then you can relate to the way he 31 flew. It had one speed,slow. It jump off the ground in 25 feet and never looked back,one speed period. One thing you have to look out, carry power all the way down till you just about touch down. That 24 x8 we used was just like putting on brakes when the throttle was pulled. I think that size prop would work well on a scale Big Cub or something like that.
IT WAS FLAT OUT FUN>still have the plane and engine all in one piece.
Again thanks to all. enjoy your engines if there are any problems. wwe are just a phone or e mail away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.